Eat Right,Don't smoke,and Exersize

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Oct 24, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Thats what will end this Fibro misery for us all!!

Don't ya wish??

In a big argument recently with "the man" of the house,... He believes that everyone has FM to a degree, since everyone including himself has rough days where he's aching and tired.

He told me that if I did the above things I probably would'nt be sick anymore.
    I KNOW this is Bulls**t!!

but just curious has anyone ever done all the above and gotten much better?

Thanks for reading~
    Tandy
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Tandy:

I have done it. No positive results from it, sad to say.

nyrofan
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

about 13 yrs ago lost 70lb and exercised the next year started being dizzy for 2 yrs it was just the begining of hell for my life. my mother n law eats pies cakes and never drinks water only coffee or pop. she is 73 and is in great health it makes me think i did things all wrong. charlene
  4. I was just telling my brother and also my husband, I have never smoked, drank and eat fairly good diet but I have so many problems, its just not fair.
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Always been an organic health nut non smoking or drinking vegetarian that eats fish and organic chicken occasionally and I always exercised a lot. Still do despite the DD I try and walk at least two miles or more a day plus we fix up houses to sell or did till this last house when I do not want to do any more after this one.

On the other hand I know 88 year olds who never did a day of exercise in their lives except swill the beer down, plus shorts too, ate a lot of junk food, are very heavy, yell a lot, and hardly get ill.

I sometimes think someone has one of those dolls they stick pins in when it comes to pain-oooh lets move from the neck to the legs today, mmm lets give her a bit of chest pain, why not throw in a severe headache too.

So although I may be feeling a lot worse had I not led this lifestyle and although I know people on here have improved by being all of the above, I have to ask, How come I got this darn dd in the first place then???

Love Anne
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I wonder 'why' all the time~

This DD grabs anyone and everyone.
    I don't think healthy habits or unhealthy habits mean much when it comes to FM/CF picking its victims.

Thank for all your input guys~
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

and I'm here, so I must still be sick.

There is alot to be said for each point, in terms of probably improving symptoms. I'm better when I eat right, I'm better when I do light exercise regularly, but I had to learn when its best to back off and let my body rest too.

I've quit smoking for up to 9 mths and surprisingly it made little difference. I had the usual improvements a healthy person would notice too, freedom, whiter teeth, smelled smokefree and my throat and chest felt so much lighter. But this wonderful boost of energy other quitters talked about didn't happen for me. Since I've smoked outside for years anyway, I already had many of the benefits of being smokefree. I had some energy reserves from not having to bundle up and go outside to smoke, but that's it.

There are also people like Stormy who has acheived full remission and still smokes, so it can't be as big a piece of the puzzle as people expect it to be.

Jeanne
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

Thanks alot guys!

Good points made.
    Smoking is horrible I know. and I will quit someday~

It is stinky for sure! I even hate the smell.
    I too smoke near and open window and do not keep ash-trays thru-out my home. (kitchen only)
  9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I eat better than I ever have since getting dxed with fibro, have never smoked and exercise whenever I am well enough (as long as I don't have a bad IBS flareup).

I DO know that when I'm feeling well enough to exercise, the endorphins feel great. Plus, there are so many other benefits to exercise....keeping weight off, lowers cholesterol, helps with depression, etc etc. It also helps me with pain because exercise lubricates the joints.

Eating healthy also makes me feel better too. These aren't cures to fibro in the slightest (I WISH!) but to me they are must-dos for anyone with or without an illness. For those without an illness, they are only fooling themselves into thinking they can eat junk food and not exercise (as well as smoke).

A car needs gas and bodies need healthy food for fuel and exercise for so many obvious reasons. So nope, it's unfortunately not a cure, but just a necessity. No one is perfect about these things, but we all do the best we can.

Sorry about your hubby. I'd ask him to show you where his medical license is!

Warm hugs,

Erika
  10. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

18 yrs ago. I used to smoke a pack and a half a day. I felt better when I quit. I feel better when I am not around smoke, for sure.

I have noticable improvement when I take good care of myself, which includes eating good, healthy food, getting plenty of rest, pacing myself, and getting exercise.

Sorry to disappoint anyone, but adding exercise was the one thing that gave me the most health benefits, although I can't do much of it. When I am very sick with CFS from too much self-induced stress from long work hours, and no food, I can't exercise again, and it is back to square one, and that makes me mad at myself.

My sister killed herself with cigarettes, I watched cancer consume her, (age 52) and yet she continued to light one off another, so don't ask me to say anything good about them.
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

I love hearing your input on this.

If it were that easy I think we'd have alot less members.

Take care everyone,..and Thanks!!

Hugs,
    Tandy

(yea,..? I wonder where his degree is hangin)
    LOL
  12. kat-E

kat-E New Member

Recently left a man for the exact same thinking... just do these 5 things and you will be well... Is what he would tell me, after "LOOKING INTO IT"( like I have never thought of doing that, in all these years LOL) ...

I quit smoking-it did help with the bouts of chronic bronchitis and asthma flare ups,

have gone to extremes with eating right- sometimes it helps me have a bit more energy but not enough to rave about,

have exercised but after awhile(varies in time depending on state I started in) proves to make me sicker and sicker- more fatigue and flu like symptoms,

have taken vitamins/supplements/herbals-most of the time they have just made me worse- a few things help... probiotics for yeast and IBS sx, milkthistle dandelion and tumeric take the edge off of the pain a bit, glucosamine helped with joint pain and IBS sx, cranberry helps some with Irritable Bladder, magnesium helps with constipation, I am sure there are more that have some benefit,

I get as much sleep as this affliction allows-some days it comes relatively easy to get to sleep, staying asleep is a different issue all together, some days it only comes with Rx medications, some days it will not come no matter what I do.

I go to the chiropractor regularly- I think it at least helps me maintain some mobility,

I have tried more medications than I care to count... most I will never take again and others that help just a tiny bit I take only as a last resort cause I dont want them to stop working altogether.

and what it boils down to is...no matter what I try, I have my good days and I have my bad days, and the good days are few and far between, but I am eternally thankful for every one I have.
  13. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I've exercised several times a week for the past 25 years, have never smoked, eat healthy, plus take vitamins and I have a lot of health problems. I think with some of us it's hereditary, then of course there's the theory we got sick due to a virus or possibly because of severe stress. Who knows?

It sounds like you and your husband are going through a rough patch right now. I remember your post not too long ago (I hope you don't mind me bringing this up) on him wanting sex and you not feeling up to it.

I'm guessing he hasn't read much about the endo and FMS? Although my husband has read the material I have left out for him, he occasionally slips and says something hurtful, too. Maybe they say it out of the frustration of having a spouse who is chronically ill?

Ellen