Eating advice...living off of Snickers and Pringles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KateMac329, Apr 25, 2006.

1. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello everyone!

I know how silly this must sound but sometimes you need another brain to get you going in the right direction.

I found myself in an eating rut!

When my son was first born I was really good about juicing, eating well and drinking my water.

Soon after, my gallbladder started acting up and was FORCED to eat really light. I also became very tired, stressed out and started a really bad flare.

Well my gallbladder has been feeling fine the past couple of weeks and I have just lost my rhythm.

I am SO incredible busy that I hardly sit down and Mr. Bean is being very demanding. The only thing I have been eating and I mean this literally is Pringles and Snickers during the day.

Then I am so worn out by the time hubby gets home that we order out most of the time.

I know eating better will help with my energy and stamina making it easier to actually make dinner but it is so hard right now.

Juicing is out of the equation for a few more weeks because although all you have to do is throw some fruits and veggies down the shoot it's the cleaning of the machine that is time consuming.

Okay so now to my actual point!

I know all of this but I need some refreshing from the rest of you. Give me some quick grab and go snack and eating ideas that would be trouble free.

Seriously the ideas need to be as hassle free as possible! Like I said little bean is very demanding and I barely have time to pee.

Thanks so much in advance guys! I really appreciate the help!

(((HUGS)))

kate
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....that I had for quick and easy things. I like those mozzerella string-cheese sticks. They come in a package of 12, and I come home from the store, tear the individual sticks apart in advance at the perforations, then just grab one as needed from the fridge. Do you like yogurt? That's an easy one. Also, I like the already cleaned packages of carrots & celery (I get them at Target)---no fuss. Also bananas---no cleaning, just peel & eat.

While your baby's sleeping, could you hard-boil a few eggs? Then they'd be in the fridge ready to peel & eat as needed---I'm always looking for protein sources that are easy, so I do this a lot (not everyone likes eggs, though).

I've always wanted to be a "juicer", too, but I agree, the clean-up's a hassle. Just noshing on bananas, apples, etc. is probably your best bet right now, rather than trying to find the time to "juice". Remember----he'll grow up and be less demanding. It gets better, it really does!

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Kate, it's good to see you posting and you seem to be better. What about buying some of those great fruit smoothie drinks. You can get some green smoothies as well that are really healthy.

Good Luck
    Kathy.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

If I were you, I'd take it down to the bare minimum and start by having a big bowl of fresh fruit.

You can grab an apple if you have a few minutes, a banana is even quicker, grapes can be set beside you while you're feeding that little bean, and I'm sure others could come up with a few more suggestions.

How about a bowl of fresh strawberries beside you on the coffee table. If you have an extra minute, you can plop some yogurt on top, granola maybe too and have a decent meal.

When I used to be in a hurry, I'd take lunchmeat and a slice of cheese and just roll it up and eat it.

And if anyone ever cooks in the house, I always freeze a portion, even with good take out food...so I have something I can easily heat and eat for my lunches.

I also make what I call "fajita pizzas" with veggies and they can be prepared and frozen so it only takes under 5 minutes in the oven and they're ready. I take a wheat fajita, pizza sauce, olives, tomatoes & green peppers then the cheeze...fold it over and freeze. These fit easily in a zip lock bag. You could add anything you prefer...

I hope this helps a bit...

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  5. SherylD

SherylD Guest

So glad the little guy is doing good...

I'm sorry to hear you are wore out...I know the feeling..

You really do need to change what you are eating...LOL Those are not good choices...I know it gets hard...But that is why you are feeling like you are...

What about real popcorn...popped in a little olive oil..little sea salt...That helps to replace the chips..

If you can just take the time to just cut up the veggies and fruit to have in the bowls you do grab it and eat it... I know it take time to do all of that but it is so much better...

Good luck...You have good ideas here from everybody..I hope it helps you...

SherylD
  6. sslaird

sslaird New Member

good suggestions above, but most are lacking protein. add in nuts, soy chips/crackers/granola bars; dip your veggies in peanut butter; get some cubed cheese to pop in your mouth. if u are breastfeeding, the added calcium and protein is important. those carb cravings are a call for fuel; cant take care of the little bean without taking care of yourself first, so make it as easy as possible.
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Nuts, trailmix, sunflower seeds, Bits and Bites even, morning glory cookies or muffins are full of good stuff, 12 grain breads w/ whatever jam/marmalade you like, V-8 veggie juice instead of juicing.

I can get a really quick nutritious lunch by having a ploughmans type of lunch of veggies, olives, crackers or baguette and cheeze, and lunchmeat if I have.

Jeanne
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Kate,
    I think you have gotten some excellent ideas. I really think the yogurt is one of the best things for you right now as you get the calcium and D and protein that you need to nurse Landon.

Also dipping celery in peanut butter can be a fast snack too. The fresh fruits are another good thing.

I prefer the Natural peanut butter as I don't like the taste of it with sugar in it, but then I'm trying to lose weight and peanut butter is off my list. But I am trying to use a yogurt at least once a day.

I like the peeled carrot sticks too. You could always buy cheese and use either cheese slices or buy a block of cheese, cut it up and wrap it up in saran wrap and put in a ziploc bag. Then you can just get some cheese out quickly and put the rest back.

Take care of yourself, hon. I'm so happy you are sounding so much better. Things will get easier each week for you as Landon gets older. Before you know it he will be walking and talking. lol

Oh if you like, the instant oatmeals that you just add water would be a good choice too. Pretzels are a better junk food to eat as they have less fat.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

You all have given me some awesome tips!!!

As I was reading I was thinking OH YEAH, DUH!!!!!! LOL

I just needed you guys to refresh my mind!

Well I have little man in my lap right now so I am one handing this reply. Thanks and keep the tips coming!!!

(((HUGS)))

kate
  10. elliespad

elliespad Member

My favorite, healthy, lazy snack foods are: the expensive, already cut, peeled, cleaned veggies, like baby carrots, celery, brocoli, cauliflowers. Grab your favorite dip, like T. Marzetti's Southwestern Ranch, or whatever your favorite is. Also, whatever your favorite nuts are, mixed with raisins, craisin, or diced figs. Yummy, Easy, lazy way to eat healthy snacks, especially convenient to bring on car trips.

Cut up fruit takes time, but is VERY satisfying snack, or meal. But, the expensive, already cut, cleaned fruits from the salad bar are good too.

Glad you are doing better these days. How about a picture update of your handsome little man when you get time?
  11. starmom

starmom New Member

Switch you r snickers bars for balance bars or zone bars. Bars with a 40-30-30 balance of carb, protein and fat are hte best. Balance has a caramel nut blast bar that is rather close to a snickers.

Substitute baked potato chips for the pringles. Or get wehat thins.

try whatever premade shakes you can stand.

You might try getting someone to take Mr. Bean one day a week so you can cook. Just boil some chicken, then freeze it, or whatever foods are easy for you to cook and throw in the freezer.

Hugs,

Susie
  12. justlooking

justlooking New Member

My favorite grab and eat snacks and meals are cereal, toast with jelly or english muffins, bananas, peanut butter sandwiches, oatmeal, granola bars or nutrigrain bars.

I could probably live on cereal and toast alone, well with some chocolate candy for dessert LOL.

There are so many different kinds of cereal, nutritious or sugar cereal, one for every occasion or appetite.

Sincerely
    JL
  13. sop28

sop28 New Member

I love Snickers and Pringles! I'm trying to behave so I haven't had either in a long time. I'm drooling. LOL!

No advice for ya, I don't have the right to give advice on diet(even though I know what I should and shoudn't eat); I would be a huge hipocrate.

Good luck getting back on track!
  14. pearls

pearls New Member

Dear Kate,

The biggest problem seems to me is that you have developed a mindset of "Either/ Or." EITHER you're going to use that juicer OR you're going to chuck the whole thing and eat Snickers and Pringles. This is usually called being a perfectionist, to which I can relate. I want jobs done exactly perfectly so they pile up. Well, that's another story...

Anyway, you've had some good advice here. However, while juicers are great (and I don't use mine, either), better to not use it at all and eat right than to have it sit there like a God, for whom you must use it or Suffer The Consequences of being a junkfood junkie!

Forget the darned thing! Instead, think of the easiest to use, healthy foods you can and eat them: fruit out of hand, veggies out of hand, those ready to eat salads, yogurt, a little cheese (especially with fruit), sardines from a can (with a side of apple or orange slices), frozen or refrigerated leftovers (great idea!).

Try to have some protein (leftover meat, chicken or fish or a little cheese); healthy fat(olive oil); and good, low-glycemic, non-trasfat carbs with each meal or snack, if you can (tree fruits, carrots,yams,cauliflower, broccoli, most whole grains) . By the way, the Glycemic Index, properly understood, offers you a way to eat something, feel full for a long time, and keep healthy, too.

But, forget the juicer if having it causes you to do what you've been doing!

Pear S.