Eating Right?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lostsoul63, Jun 25, 2010.

1. lostsoul63

lostsoul63 New Member

I've suffered from depression for 7 years and have been basically sick for the last couple of years and I'm thinking that I eat at fast food, out of a can, and never cook for myself, might have something to do with it. Here's the problem. I go out and buy a hundred dollars in can food and say, This is for backup in case I get sick and can't fix myself something to eat and I just eat the can food because it is there. I figure if I get that sick I'll just go to the hospital. If it's in the house I'll eat it instead of fixing something healthy. Has anyone experience this? I'm on the verge of not have a can of food in the house and have just fresh fruits and veggies and I'll be force to eat healthy. Please tell me what you think of this sad situation.
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Well, I have tried both ways.. Couldn't tell any difference as far as depression but it does help with wieght control. I am sure not many will agree with this.. Fresh fruits and Veggies give me indigestion eaten raw and I don't feel like cooking most of the time.

It never hurts to try and I am sure fresh fruits and veggies would be much healthier..

Good Luck and God bless,

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Richard - I'm not a fan of fast food or prepackaged food whether it be frozen or canned. The only time I eat prepackaged food is when I am sick and can't cook for myself. You don't say whether you have CFS or FM? Eating healthier isn't a cure, however, I imagine you would feel at least a bit better than you do at present.

Is there someone who could help you cook up large batches of food that you can freeze? (ie spaghetti sauce, chili, stews, soups, etc.). Then all you would have to do is defrost, reheat, and cook some pasta and/or veggies to go along with your entree.

Are you taking any vitamin supplements? I would have to think that with your diet you are probably deficient, or at least on the low end, in vitamins and minerals. I would at least consider taking a good multi that includes both vitamins and minerals. Also a B-50 or 100 Complex could possibly help with the depression as Vitamin B has been implicated in depression in some people.

4. sascha

sascha Member

i think deciding to fix good food for yourself could be good for your spirits. would be taking a step to take better care of yourself. but you've got some hard habits to break.

i think it could be so satisfying and enjoyable to get into preparing meals for yourself that you'd wonder why you didn't do it before. it's a great way to care for yourself.

start figuring out your plan. what foods to include. what you need to avoid. don't try to do it all at once.

there are one-pot meals you can make that would go for several meals- like a turkey chili- i have cfids so i can't spend a lot of time cooking, but it's a boost for me to fix something i really like. maybe you'd enjoy looking up recipes, getting new ideas, finding ways to make meals you enjoy. i really hope so- you can get lots of information online, or in cookbooks.

i always have to write my plan down when i'm working out something new i want to do- helps me organize. i hope you find this way to enjoy and care for yourself.

and report back what happens! sascha

5. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Welcome to the board, Richard!

Most cities have a 'community kitchen' whereby a group of people come together regularly in a large public kitchen (community centre or church). The group decides what to make and they purchase healthy ingredients in bulk.

Together they make a huge batch and then divide it among themselves.
    Each participant takes home several plastic containers of the meal for their freezer. Each time you attend, a different meal is made and so eventually, you end up with a variety of healthy meals in your freezer. All you need to do is zap them in the microwave, perhaps add a side salad (salad in a bag is easy-peasy) and you have a healthy home-made meal.

Not only will this provide healthy, home-made meals, it will help with your grocery bill because buying in bulk and sharing this way is very economical. The opportunity to do something productive with others may very well help with your depression, as well.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

The crockpot is a great idea, Rainbow. If a person is short on energy, you don't have the bother of checking and stirring food while it is cooking.
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

gonna suggest a crockpot, but I see Rainbow already did.

It's very easy. Essentially you just dump whatever you've got in the crockpot
    and let it cook for a few hours. Every now and then you poke it to see if it's

For example, put a can or two of chicken broth in the crockpot. Add some
    chicken parts and a couple potatoes (peeled or not), carrots, an onion and
    some celery. Make two or three meals at a time.

Bon Appetit

8. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I absolutely have to eat well, there's no forgiveness in my body for bad food. You might find a big difference when you eat well.

I follow jaminhealth's idea when I'm too tired to cook, about the hamburger (without the bread). I buy grass fed beef and just sautee it with garlic, cumin, salt & pepper and cilantro. I really need red meat. Then I'll have brown rice and salad or vegetables. Just buy some simple healthy things, add some spices, and make in big batches so you can it it for several days.
  9. tig519

tig519 Member

Not sure if your budget can afford, or if you have whole foods in your area... but they have some great prepared (but basically home made) foods. This may be a first step for you in eating a bit healthier and you can see if it makes a difference.

I do like to cook, but my better half does not and will default to fast food. I travel often for work so I do a few things to make things easier for them to heat up meals.

1. I will marinate and grill chicken breasts on Sunday with different marinates. Then seal in the fridge. Cooked chicken breast lasts a good 5-7 days. You can heat up or use in a salad. BTW, buy yourself a good meat tenderizer mallet. Put the breast in a ziploc bag and bang away to break the muscle prior to marinating. This will make the breast much more tender and prevent it from drying out. Grill on a 400 degree grill, 5-6 minutes first side, 4-5 minutes second side.
    2. Buy lots of fresh vegetables and Ziploc steam bags. I cut up all the vegetables (again on sunday) and put in bags. Then add the portion needed and microwave in the steam bags. Add a little seasoning and you're good to go.
    3. Red meat is trickier as you can't really cook too much in advance with the same reheat results of chicken. And you can't make things like burgers as they won't last in the fridge longer than a couple of days before cooking. Although I have had success with steak and beef for tacos or fajitas. I will give you a great recipe for hamburgers. I use organic beef. 1lb beef, 1 egg, some chopped onion (about a half of a medium size one), breadcrumbs (about 1/4 cup), and about 1tbsp of McCormicks Montreal steak seasoning.
    4. Tacos, Fajitas, StirFry. All pretty quick to make if you have the ingredients. For my partner, I'll chop all the vegetables up so they can cook easily.

Setting some time aside each week to prep the ingredients may help to make the food as easy to make as canned food.

Good luck,
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

...should not be kept for any longer than 3 to 4 days in the fridge. One week is too long and should be thrown out.