Eating Well What has worked for you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by museheather, Mar 31, 2006.

1. museheather

museheather New Member

Hello everyone. I am very curious about what changes in eating habits help you feel better. I've seen a lot of people mention avoiding fake and/or excessive sugar. I know probably everyone here knows of a particularly useful food or food group. I'd love to hear your ideas!

About a year and a half ago, I moved in with my partner who is vegan (no animal derived products at all). That led to me eating even more whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. I also made the choice to stop eating meat. Which made sense for easy meal planning and cheaper grocery bills.

My symptoms started to increase and multiply. I did not connect the removal of meat from my diet with the pain until recently. We looked at what I was eating and realized there were tiny amounts of protein in my daily diet. No where near recommended amounts to help strengthen muscle tissue. I've started eating good quality meats again and have noticed a wonderful change. I would never have guessed that was one of the problems. I am learning to be much more careful about ingesting a balance of things during the day now.

Happy Saturday to all!
    -h
  2. gramaT

gramaT New Member

I do so much better when I don't eat SUGAR at all and no refined sugar or flour. When I do....the pain is unbearable!!

Carolyn
  3. skierchik

skierchik New Member

So glad you made the change. Protein is extremely important for us CFS/FM er's. I do believe that the reason I do as well as I do for having CFS/FM, juvenile diabetes, & Hashimoto's is because of my healthful diet.

I eat as much organic as possible. Organic eggs, bread, etc. Even my chow eats organic.

I supplement my mid morning routine with a whey protein drink (my doctor told me to do this), eat according to what my body is asking for. And lately, it has wanted more protein. There are times when protein doesn't sound good to me and I won't have as much with my meal.

Raw juicing is a great way to get lots of nutrition in one small punch. There are whole books just on juicing with many recipies.

Make sure you vary your grains. Have you tried Millet, Quinoa (good protein source), or bulgar?? Vary your veggie intake to include organic chard, kale, dandelion, and use herbs like cilantro, parsley...both fight bacteria. Cook with garlic and ginger, both are great for bacteria, viruses and for circulation. Garlic kills off yeast too as does coconut oil. Stir fry with coconut oil as often as you can. Check out www.coconutoil.com. The message board is very informative and helpful. It's really good for you. I melt a TBSP everyday and drink it. Yuk!!

Of course stay away from anything that you may be reactive to. I am trying to cut out most all dairy, soy (both cause mucous in the body) and wheat.

Glad you are doing better.

skierchik
  4. achy

achy New Member

Hubby & I have always ate pretty healthy. A past doc said I ate better than he did!

Lots of fresh fruit and veggies we grow ourselves. And lean protein - yogurts, fish, having a beautiful, but lean, T-bone steak tonight!! lol

But...I couldn't figure out why I was gaining weight....
    Doc says I was eating too much of the WRONG fruit!! rofl

You want to eat fruit high in FIBER. Things like green grapes, honey tangerines, even oranges have little fiber and LOADS of SUGAR.

eating right is more complicated than we knew...
    I LOVE grapes..ate them by the handfull ALL Day.
    boo hooo
    achy
  5. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Heather,
    I think diet plays a very important part in how we feel. I do an organic diet, low or no gluten, (which has made a big difference in my brain fog). I've noticed that many here do way better on a high protein diet. Good Saturday here. Suppose to be in the 60's. Yaaaaaa!

K.
  6. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I used to be a vegetarian also. The biggest problem vegans have is that they tend to eat too much carbo (grains, bread etc) to compensate for the loss of the protein. This causes more problems with Candida and leads to greater fatigue so I'm not surprised that it made things worse for you.

What helped for me was tomove to an alkaline diet, rich in green foods and healthy fats like Flax oil, some protein from organic free range chicken or turkey and low in carbs and sugars. This type of diet doesn't feed the Candida and helps boost immunity. If you're more interested you can pick up a book "the PH Miracle" by Dr Robert Young. He also has the PH Miracle for Diabetes and PH Miracle for Weight loss. Both excellent books.

7. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

but diet makes absolutely no difference to my health. I can eat anything and whether I eat junk or organic and wheat-free etc it just doesn't make any difference.

A lot of people here have been helped by dietary changes but for some (like myself) it is not the answer.

Love Bunchy x
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I definitely feel worse when I eat sugar, processed foods and especially, Ice Cream.

Lolalee
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

- no sugar or white flour or white rice
    - gluten free
    - some protein at all three meals
    - lots of vegetables
    - easily digested fruit, ie. berries. I find other fruit hard to digest most of the time.

But we are all different!
    Pepper
  10. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian and diet definitely affects me. I have pretty bad hypoglycemia. I seem to react to any carbs but getting enough pro is a challenge. If I eat any sugar food I get almost sick (dizzy and gross feeling).

I have been working on it. I am eating for my hypoglycemia. Very low sugar and simple carbs. High fiber, lean pro, and healthy fats. I have been eating a lot more veggies.

It took me a long time to realize what a major role my hypoglycemia was playing in my health. But now I am trying to tackle it.

I tend to drop off about 40 min after a meal. By 2pm I am pretty bad off. I am learning to bring almonds with me to keep my blood sugar from diving.

I have also started supplementing to help my body normalize. I just got a supp regimen from a nutrition chemist which I'm going to try.

Sofi
  11. museheather

museheather New Member

I appreciate your shared experiences and wisdom. I've gone out to acquire a few of the books that were recommended in this thread and have already found them very helpful.

Avoiding sugar, balancing fruits, protein as a part of every meal, paying attention to what foods go in and what energy is created or drained... All very key things that I am now focusing on.

Thank you! Hope you all enjoyed the weekend.

-Heather
  12. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I did the candida diet for several months, and it seemed to help. I couldn't stick with it though. I liked the diet a lot at first. But my body started going really wonky for some reason (could have been stress, new thyroid problem, change in suppliments) and then I couldn't stay away from the sweet stuff.

I try to get in enough protein in a day. I was so defficient in protein that at one point that my fingernails were breaking. Then I added protein powder to my diet, and the nails were much better. Guess I really needed it. Protein takes so much energy to cook and digest that I had let it drop without even noticing. Easier to do it in powder form.

Remember the days when we didn't have to worry about stuff like this? I wouldn't go back to all the things I was eating before... but some BBQ ribs once in a while would be very welcome.
    (( sugar rules!! )) *wink* Shannon
  13. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

but I do notice I feel better when I include Olive oil in my diet. I now can eat olive oil & balsamtic vinager on my salad. I use it to saute onions & garlic & chicken.

[ advertisement ]