Ebooks, free! some audio too!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Jun 19, 2010.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Someone just sent me this list of places to download ebooks for free, if you're able to read off the computer screen or are lucky to have a Kindle or similar device.

There's also a place to get audiobooks (out of copyright) that are read by people like 'us', ie amateur readers. See the person's comment about Libravox below, LOL... seems like it could be fun to contribute, actually.

1) www.UntreedReads.com

2) a site for free book downloads, a list of 20 sites to use, appears to be mostly computer books, but not all are....

3) Google has a project going on to scan all old books onto the net, here is their site of free offerings so far:

4) http://librivox.org/
    Audio books! as well as ebooks: you, too, can contribute to this one:

"IF you can read well, tape your reading of a favorite ancient classic that is now out of copyright and submit it (upload it) to them for their audio books section. Some DRAMATIC unprofessional readers have me in stitches, giggling while I listen to them EMOTE while doing dishes. I just listened to the free audio book download site's 'Headless Horseman'."

5) www.fictionwise.com.

6) LASTLY - don't forget - your LIBRARY may subscribe to the overdrive media program - you can download many recent books in the comfort of your home in either 'ebook form' OR audio, for up to 2 weeks- FOR FREE- onto your computer.

Some of the audiobooks are further downloadable to an iPod or MP3 player, and some can even be burned on to a CD. And of course many libraries now have their own collection to borrow from if you're able to actually go there.

Happy reading/listening (reading out load?)....

2. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

What awesome information. Thanks Victoria.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I also just found out about

for free ebooks and audio books for downloading in several formats. (Their books all have had their copyrights expire.)

4. victoria

victoria New Member