EBV & Candida Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, Oct 14, 2002.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hey, I just got blood test results from the doc! The iron, B12, potassium, magnesium and calcium are all fine and, as I suspected, the EBV result is fine! :D

I have been feeling better since I started to kill off the candida, and suspected that candida was involved in my high EBV levels. From the blood test results, it looks like that was the case.

In the meantime I'm still sticking to my anti-candida program. My tongue is coated a dirty yellow right now. The woman at the health shop said that it will be a result of the diet (toxins being released), and that if it doesn't clear up to go back and get some Chlorella. She gave me a leaflet and it says that Chlorella is like Spirulina, but it is more of an internal cleanser. It's a blood tonic and cleanses out waste in the liver and intestines. It sounds great!

I think I am experiencing some more die-off today. I took 2 Olive Leaf capsules earlier and now my left arm and fingers are getting achey. (It's my left arm and all of its joints that get sore when I feel really bad/tired).

Anyway, just wanted to share my progress!

Ali
  2. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hey, I just got blood test results from the doc! The iron, B12, potassium, magnesium and calcium are all fine and, as I suspected, the EBV result is fine! :D

I have been feeling better since I started to kill off the candida, and suspected that candida was involved in my high EBV levels. From the blood test results, it looks like that was the case.

In the meantime I'm still sticking to my anti-candida program. My tongue is coated a dirty yellow right now. The woman at the health shop said that it will be a result of the diet (toxins being released), and that if it doesn't clear up to go back and get some Chlorella. She gave me a leaflet and it says that Chlorella is like Spirulina, but it is more of an internal cleanser. It's a blood tonic and cleanses out waste in the liver and intestines. It sounds great!

I think I am experiencing some more die-off today. I took 2 Olive Leaf capsules earlier and now my left arm and fingers are getting achey. (It's my left arm and all of its joints that get sore when I feel really bad/tired).

Anyway, just wanted to share my progress!

Ali
  3. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Congratulations on your sucess, in lowering your EBV antibodies. What were your before and after values, and how long a period elapsed between the two tests?

I haven't had a test for EBV in a year, so I can't say if the immune factors has improved this area or not, but will request a test the next time. I am wondering if there isn't something else you did that affected those levels, because I have never heard of an anti-candida diet/program reducing EBV antibody levels. In fact, after almost a year of natural antifungals (taken daily) my EBV antibodies were incredibly elevated. My dr. put me on Sporanox for about 6 months, which lowered my candida levels as well as my candida antibody levels, but never did she say it would affect my EBV values. In fact, she specifically addressed this imbalance with a recommendation for immune factors.

Annette
  4. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Unfortunately I don't know the numbers - I just know that my EBV antibodies were sky-high near the end of last year! That's when I felt my worst.

I've read that candida and EBV can be interlinked - the candida lowers your resistance and then the EBV becomes activated.

Interestingly, I stumbled on the candida program while looking for something to inhibit EBV. The herb I started with is Pau d'Arco - a strong anti-viral that also happens to be antifungal. I heard that Pau d'Arco has been successful on EBV, so I tried it. Because I felt so much better while taking Pau d'Arco, I assumed that it was working on the EBV.

Then someone mentioned that I could be feeling better due to Pau d'Arco's antifungal effects. This led me to undertaking a serious anti-candida program. Since then, I've used Pau d'Arco two more times in rotation with other herbs. I think that this is herb is DIRECTLY responsible for inhibiting my EBV.

Another herb I've used is Olive Leaf Extract. Again, it is both antifungal and anti-viral.

I think the good results have been a combination of herbs and diet. When I took Pau d'Arco for the first time, I wasn't doing an anti-candida program - and my fatigue returned two weeks after stopping the supplements.

Since starting the diet, I've felt consistently much better. So in combination with antifungal herbs, I've found it very worthwhile.

Try the Pau d'Arco. You can't use it long-term, so I've used it for two weeks and then you should rotate it with Olive Leaf Extract. I used it until the bottle ran out. It does make your blood thin though - it has anti-clotting effects, which isn't good if you're taking anticoagulants. If you also supplement with calcium, it's supposed to help your blood clotting mechanism.

I hope this helps you!

Ali
  5. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

When you mentioned EBV antibodies, I assumed you were talking about past exposure and not a current infection. I do not have a current infection (took a PCR test recently), so perhaps that is why the pau d'arco and many other herbs I took never affected my antibody levels (I have had so many herbs but the anti-viral ones that come to mind are: tea tree, pau d'arco, gentiana, artemesia, NAC--an amino acid, licorice root, olive leaf extract, ginger, and the many more I can't remember). I agree that candida can exacerbate recurrent infections, by keeping the immune system down; I just don't think antiviral anything (natural or prescription)can lower antibodies....only natural killer cells can do that. I have increased my natural killer cells, somewhat, but not by leaps and bounds, that's for sure. I guess if I was diligent in taking my immune factors I might see more progress.

Annette
  6. mlw

mlw New Member

Hi to both of you. I have to agree with Annette. I don't think there is anything (anti-viral/anti-fungal) that cannot diminish your EBV titres. It either reactivates or goes dormant. This virus is in the herpes family and we all have been exposed to it some time in our lives. This condition can be related to other symptoms (CFID). I remember when I was diagnosed (3 yrs ago) I didn't have the candida yeast infections and I didn't have the intestinal problems. The rest just crept in and now EBV titres went down, and the rest is just high maintenance with: antifungals, no sugar diet, high protein, B12 injections, etc.
    MLW
  7. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Perhaps I haven't been very clear. I don't mean to say that I have "cured" myself of EBV - this is definitely a remission of it, and it has gone dormant like you say.

But, there is a direct correlation between this and my taking of Pau d'Arco. This herb has been shown in trials to be helpful against EBV - and every time I have taken it, I feel remarkably improved. I have no doubt that it has worked for me.

Ali
  8. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hi again! I didn't see your last message, Annette. I just read it now.

But yes, I've been dealing with a "current infection" since last year. In terms of "past exposure", you're right - in that case the EBV will go dormant and then always have the potential to reactivate. I always consider the fact that 90% of all adults carry EBV without necessarily being affected by it!

Ali
  9. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Now I understand you. I have high levels of HSV1 and EBV antibodies, but have no current infections of either, fortunately. My heart goes out to you because I can't imagine having to battle those things, on top of all the other things I have to deal with. And you are right, antivirals such as Pau d'Arco are helpful for active states. I was on prescription suppressive therapy for HSV1, but after sometime I stopped all meds. For me, it was really a waste of money and no telling what negative side-effects the drugs were having on my body. I was terrified, at first, but I have never had another outbreak. I figured if I did, I would choose natural the next time.

When you said your levels had gone down, I was thinking you meant antibodies to past exposure, and thought there must have been something else (in addition to the antivirals) you were taking to do that. I was really perplexed because just a couple of months ago I had a similar discussion with a master herbalist about reducing these antibodies. She was telling me about a chinese combination that has been used a lot for HIV, with success, and other viruses. When I asked her about the antibodies, she clarified and agreed that there are no products that can reduce those numbers directly.

So, now that you have conquered the big problem (the active infection) you too might want to check out some of the immune products such as Moducare and Transfer Factors, which this site sells. Reducing your antibodies, by way of increasing your natural killer cells, may diminish the chances of recurrent infections.

Good luck, and again congratulations,
    Annette