EBV carrier, how know when contagious?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lone-wolf, Aug 1, 2003.

1. lone-wolf

lone-wolf New Member

My blood work showed I have the Epstien Barr Virus in my blood. Doctor said I was a 'carrier' of the virus. Am I always contagious to others? How do I know when or if it is active?

Thanks for any input in adavance :O)

Karen
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Something like 98% of the population, give or take a few % carries the EBV virus. We all get it eventually and it's no big deal. Don't worry about it!

Marilyn :)
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When you get exposed to EBV or get sick from it, the virus will continue to live in your body in a latent form. If you get sick or run down, Herpes-family viruses can reactivate.

Cold sores are a good example. They are caused by a Herpes virus and when we get sick or go out in the sun, or even get stressed out, we can develop a cold sore.

Marilyn is right; almost all of us have this virus and as long as it doesn't reactivate, you don't need to worry.

Love, Mikie
  4. Hippen

Hippen New Member

EBV carriers are not always contagious. The virus may have periods of latency...which means it is not contagious. EBV is contagious through saliva and other body fluids(mostly saliva). It is hard to say when you are in a contagious mode because sometimes you may be contagious without having any symptoms. The best thing to do would be avoid over working your body and your immune system to keep it strong. When you become overly tired...you weaken your immune system therefore giving the virus an opportunity to reactivate. You can't go through the rest of your life worried about spreading this virus through casual contact with people. In order for a person to become "sick" with the EBV virus, they must have a weakened immune system at the time of exposure. Mostly everyone has been exposed to the EBV virus and their immune systems are able to fight it off without even showing symptoms. You are considered a carrier because you have shown a high virus load in your blood...this shows that you have the potential to reactivate the virus in your body at times of immune weakness even though you may not show symptoms. Try not to worry.....I have a feeling that many people are carriers and just do not know it. The EBV virus never leaves the body of anybody...it remains silent in the body of most people never to reactivate in some. In others the virus has invaded the B cells of the body and have a higher potential of reactivation. Hope this helps...Love, Hippen
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Has your doc suggested taking something like Famvir to keep the virus under control? If you try it and feel much better, like I did, it may indicate that you need to reduce the viral load in order to feel better. You will still always test pos. for EBV, but it is possible to beat these little critters back into submission with meds.

Love, Mikie