EBV Lexapro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by desertfog, Mar 15, 2006.

1. desertfog

desertfog New Member

I was wondering if anyone who has EBV is currently, or has, taken Lexapro. If so, did it help? I would like to hear your input. Thanks.
  2. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

and i take lexapro. i don't take the lexapro specifically for the ebv though. did a doctor recommend this to you? your question is interesting because i believe my immune system functions better on lexapro. it has no anti-viral properties, but there is research that suggests we have serotonin receptors in our immune systems. i also sleep better on lexapro which in turn helps my immune system to heal. in over 2 years battling cfs and fibro, nothing has helped me more than a low dose of lexapro for symptom management. then again, everyone is different.

be well,
  3. desertfog

desertfog New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I just got a new Dr. I went for my follow-up yesterday and all my tests come back normal except for my EBV is still active (after 6 1/2 years of my original diagnosis). She told me she has had other patients who have gotten adult Mono and she found lexapro works. She thinks long term viral infections lower seratonin levels. If I understood correctly, she thinks the lexapro will raise seratonin and allow my immune function to improve. I am a bit hesitant, but willing to try it. I'm so glad to hear it seems to have helped you.

So yes, she perscribed the lexapro to help combat my EBV infection. She told me if I start to feel better to not stop and take it at least 1 year because other pateints have stopped early and had a relapse. I have tried so many other things; I'm better but still not back to normal. Maybe this is my last hurdle.
  4. desertfog

desertfog New Member

bumping for replies
  5. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

Hi Desertfog,
    Just wondering what kind of doctor is the one who is suggesting Lexapro? I am seeing several doctors including a Rheumatologist and a Hormone/Endocrinologist.

I'd like to ask my doctor, but not sure which one to go to. Does a psychiatrist have to be involved with a Lexapro prescription?

I have severe chronic sinus infections. Never had them before I got FM and I am constantly on antibiotics. If Lexapro can help the immune system, I'm wondering if it can help my sinus infections too.

Thanks for posting this, I'm very excited to bring it up with my doctor.

6. desertfog

desertfog New Member

The Dr. is an internest. And I'd like to point out, she did not indicate she had studies to prove this, just experience with other patients. She follows CFS a bit because her brother-in-law contracted EBV a decade ago and later was diagnosed with CFS, like I was. And she also has other patients who contracted EBV and were sick for long periods of time. Lexapro helped them.

Anyway, I don't know what kind of research might back it up. I suppose you can tell them about my experience and see what your Dr. says. I don't know about the sinus infections; she is giving it to me because of long term viral infections. I'm not sure it would be the same.

I have not been on this board in over 6 months but I remember reading in the past lots of people were prescribed Anti Depresents but they all seemed to take them for sleeping problems. This is the first time I heard about taking them to raise seratonin, increase energy and immune function. If you want, I can let you know in a couple of months how I'm doing with it, if I feel better, etc. Sorry I can't be of much more help.

btw, she perscribed Lexapro because she feels it is safer and only raises seratonin. Since I'm not clinically depressed, that is all I personally need.

I wish you the best in talking it over with your Dr.
    P.S. You don't need a psychiatrist to prescribe it. Medical Dr.s can.<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 03/16/2006</i>]
  7. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

definitely take your doctor's advice and stay on it for at least a year if you're going to try it. i was on it for about 6 months with gradual improvements month to month, took myself off it and eventually relapsed. interestingly, there was no significant change in my ebv titers between the time i was feeling better and when i relapsed. this is what leads to me believe the research i mentioned regarding serotonin receptors in the immune system. i don't believe the lexapro actually kills the ebv, it simply helps the immune system get strong and keep the ebv in check better.

hope it helps you,
  8. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

I spoke to my Rheumatologist and he prefers to put me on Cymbalta which is similar to Lexapro but also has the side benefit of helping with body pain. I just began it a few days ago so it's human guinea pig time again! Please do let me know how you do on the Lexapro and I'll let you know if the Cymbalta helps my infections at all!

Thanks, Cynny
  9. desertfog

desertfog New Member

Well, I'm glad you have something with the added benefit of helping with the pain! I'd like to know how it goes for you and I'll let you know with me. I have only been taking it 5 days so I'll check in with you in a couple of months.

I hope it works for both of us.
  10. Kryssi

Kryssi New Member

I have EBV too and, while I'm on a different treatment protocol because I also now have CFIDS and FM, I have read that a Dr Learner did a study that 1,000mg of Valtrex 4x daily for six months can stop it without the infection recurring thereafter. Evidentally it takes FOUR MONTHS to START improvement though so you can't give up early and if you take 300mg of Tagamet at the same time (4x daily) it increases effectiveness. (Tagamet specifically NOT Benemid) The Tagamet has immune modifying properties that are very beneficial in acute cases of EBV. This is a very high dose of Valtrex but studies show it to be very safe. My doctor will be using this on me once I get adjusted to some of my other meds. Is EBV all you have or have you developed other things as a result, like me? (as if EBV isn't enough by itself, huh?) :) Good luck to you and good health.
  11. desertfog

desertfog New Member

Hi, thanks for the information. I will look into the tagament and valtrex.

I did develop other problems but after 6 1/2 years, I think I got a lot of them fixed and/or under control. (some thanks to the information I found on this board! Thank you everyone!! :) ) After being sick about a year I was diagnosed CFS. I was suprised after this last Dr. visit to see the EBV was still a problem. I'm hoping it is my last hurdle. I'm doing much better, hardly spend any time in bed anymore but I still have to pace myself! I can't overdo it. Anyway, thanks again! I hope you can lick it too!
  12. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I have been on lexapro for 1 month now for fibro. It has helped my pain tremendously believe it or not. I told my husband yesterday that I might try to taper myself off the make sure it is the lexapro that is working and not just the reduction of stress at work. He wants me to wait until April 6 when I see my Rheumatologist again.
  13. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I have EBV ..and yes it shocked ME that it did take the pains away! I dont do the high dose as it would whack my system too much. And it also puts me to sleep.
    So I take it at night.

it takes the 'edge' off of me.

one step forward and 15 steps backswards.

*wishing I had a magic wand for all of us and make EVERYTHING just GO AWAY!***

14. Bren5

Bren5 New Member

I've been on Lexapro for about 1 1/2 years. I have both Fibro and MS, my Neurologist first recommended it for pain & sent me to the Rheumatologist to test for Fibro. So I've been blessed with MS for over 9 years & Fibro for over 2 years. The Lexapro has helped with my pain & emotions, lol.
  15. nancyann62

nancyann62 New Member

I take this med and it helps me relax and sleep better because it turns my mind off. I would tell you if it helps your symptoms, take the drug. As long as you are
    monitored by a doc it is very safe.
    The EBV spirals off and on and everyone has a different cycle. Right now I show high titers and other times it doesn't show up at all.

Good luck to you...........nancy
  16. Dle

Dle New Member

While I do not have EBV, I have Fibro. My dr. put me on lexapro because I had been taking an antidepressant for years. Orignally it was for sleeping and mild depression. With Lexapro, my fibro has improved and it also has helped my immune system as I have had a healthier year than ever. Keep taking it!
  17. desertfog

desertfog New Member

Thank you all for your replies! I'm encouraged by your responses. I'm glad we have this site to exchange information. Thanks again.
  18. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

Wow, this is an interesting post for me. I've been on 10mgs. Lexapro for at least a year but have not seen improvement in my EBV lab work. I bet it takes a higher dose or maybe I'd be even worse without the Lexapro. How much did your dr. recommend? Her statements certainly make sense about the serotonin--I just can't seem to raise my serotonin levels. They run in teens to 20s, drastically low, my dr. says. Now, I'm also trying Xyrem in the hopes that deep sleep will improve all my symptoms. (I have fibro, Lyme, EBV/CFS, & HHV-6.)

I tried Valrex 4 times a day for about 3 mos. and my dr. told me to stop because the EBV levels did not change, so I'll have to let him know what the one poster said about the Valtrex time frame and the med. to take with it.
  19. desertfog

desertfog New Member

I'm taking 10 mg of Lexapro 1 time a day. If taking the lexapro is not raising your seratonin, then it sounds like you need to change meds or up to 20 mg, although I'm not Dr! So ask your and don't listen to me.

I found that other post intresting too and I think you should mention it. My dr. wanted to start me on 10 mg of lexapro and see how it goes because she believes it is the safest and has the least side effects. So far I only seem to have a little insomnia in the middle of the night but it could be a coincidence (sp). It will take time to see how it is working.

I hope you find something that works since the Lexapro does not seem to.
  20. tiredintexas

tiredintexas New Member

I tested positive for E-Barr in March of this year (2012). Although I now test negative, the fatigue is still overwhelming! I was off work on medical leave for a month and a half, and now work about 5 or 6 hours a day. Come home and go straight to bed exhausted. My doctor suggested, being that I have to work, maybe trying a low dose of Lexapro for a few months to help with the fatigue and rest, as some nights I am so fatigued I can't sleep. I've read negatives on other sites how meds force you into feeling better, when your body still needs time to recover. I know these posts are 2006, but I would welcome your feedback if Lexapro helped you, AND when you stopped it did you relapse, etc. Thanks so much!