EBV test question confused: no numbers with results?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moreinfoplease, Sep 5, 2008.

1. moreinfoplease

moreinfoplease New Member

I got my neurologist to run EBV tests. The nurse left me a phone message saying (in a cheery voice) that they were "normal". I asked that the results be sent to me, which they were.

I am confused.

The results are listed as positive/negative (as are reference ranges). There are no numbers at all.

Does that mean that info exists but it was not given to me? Or the wrong tests were done or what?

I thought it was the correct test to be able to compare with the values montoya used.

the tests were:
    EBV VCA IgG-positive

EBV VCA IgM-negative

which if I understand correctly just shows that I have had EBV in the past, which is not useful at all.

I will call the drs office on monday, but wondered if anyone could help me out so that I can make that a useful, informed call.

[This Message was Edited on 09/11/2008]
  2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i think maybe the lab they did the test at doesnt give out all the info? you should ask your doctor for the antibody titres and see what he/she says.

it is my understanding that the only lab to use is Focus or Specialty.

if you can see dr. a. martin lerner, i think his test is superior even to these labs.

good luck

3. jprr99

jprr99 New Member

Hi Lady--

Last I knew you were seeing Dr. Lerner...how has that been going??...I hope all is well...

4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi, jp. yes i am still seeing dr. lerner. i post extensively about my visits with him on this board.

i am experiencing a little improvement on his antiviral regimen. i was worried that perhaps it wasn't helping enough but since i had my RNase L retested recently, i am sure it is helping (it has gone from almost 2000 before antiviral treatment, to 74 - with normal being <50).

i do hope i will continue to improve in the months to come but since i have been sick over 15 years, i will have to be very patient. i just pra

i understand that people start feeling better long after the blood tests improve, because the viral proteins still have to leave the cells.

thank you for asking....i hope you are doing well.

5. moreinfoplease

The drs office is 75 miles away from me, and it is also neccessary to wait for appts.

I am therefore trying to get this info by phone.

I call, leave messages, and get useless messages back from the nurse.

First she repeated that the tests were "normal" and "negative" (not accurate).

Then I left a more detailed message explaining that I wanted the titer numbers for the EBV IgG test so that I could compare my results to the research being done at Stanford (research I discussed with the dr at my last appt)

in response she said in a message that she checked with the lab and "titers are not associated with the IgG [test for EBV] only other immunoglobulins" and "there is not a titer that relates to this".

This is a neurologist's office. He is the dr I could get to run the tests, and he expressed interest in the research done by Montoya.

The tests were done by the mayo clinic lab.

Am I misunderstanding something? Or is the nurse confused? I was told that the doctor would be receiving my last message, but then got the above message from the nurse in reply.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2008]
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hmmm...that is confusing because there ARE titres associated with IgG. maybe they did a different test of some sort?

my advice is to call the lab and ask to speak to the director (this might require persistance). he will explain what sort of test was done and maybe give you some more general info. i have done this with certain labs.

would it be at all possible for you to have your blood sent to Specialty or Focus Labs (Montoya uses Focus)? it would be easier to compare results.

i sent the blood there myself with the help of a nurse friend i had. you really just need a doctor to sign the requisition and someone to draw blood. you can send the blood yourself with an overnight courier.

i paid out-of-pocket so there might be other considerations if insurance is involved.

best of luck
  7. moreinfoplease

that is what I thought

they did EBV VCA IgG

I am thinking the nurse is just confused

I will look into further testing, it just irritates me that when I finally got a hmo dr to run a test I now am not able to get anything useful out of it

8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

yes..thats happened to me before too.

on the bright side, you didn't have to pay for it and you do know now that you were exposed to the virus at some point.

best of luck
  9. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hello. i was just rereading your original post.

if your NA and VCA IgG antibodies were elevated, i think this would indicate something...but i am not sure what.

maybe someone else on the board would know....

most antibody panels for EBV would include antibodies to the EA (early antigen).