ECG anyone??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat0465, Sep 6, 2010.

1. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

HI All,
    just wondering how many on here has had an echo of thier heart? Mine has bothered me most of my Life, but now its getting extreme.

SO the doc has ordered an echo, and im scared to death thier gonna find someting they can't fix.
    do they always do a stress test with an echo?? wish me luck, i don't know how im gonna make it thru a stress test if i have to do one

2. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I have, several times, but I'm not sure about what else you're asking, if anything...
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

if a stress test is mandatory with a ecg, can you tell me why they gave you the ecg's??
    i guess im just scared they will find something bad:(
    thanks for the reply
  4. simonedb

simonedb Member

I have had 2 I think, I asked a regular doc 4-5 years ago to give me one after I read Cheney's take on the peckerman heart study (if you google those 2 you can find it) but a regular echo didnt show anything bad in me, I am one of those cfs people that can exercise in the moment a lot of the time (at the right time of day) but I get PEM,a delayed reaction where I feel bad the next day. I think that is what Pacific Labs (right name? too lazy to google now) is looking at and they are even doing a study in my hometown now looking at cfs and postexertional malaise after treadmill or something.

however I went to cheney once in 2008 for an eval and had his special echo that only he does and it made him think I had the classic cfs thing he says where it looks like you have a hole in your heart in his and the techs opinion, the way my system responded to their tests indicated that. diastolic dysfunction that a regular cardio guy w/regular echo probly wouldnt pick up nor know how to treat.

if they do find soemthing on a regular echo for you its good to know but if you have classic cfs I wouldnt sweat it unless you have some advanced heart disease then you want to know.
    but you might feel rotten the next day, it flared me up for almost a week doing the regular echo. actually doing cheney's echo flared me up too, they administere oxygen for part of it and that made me feel worse as well as some other aspects to his test, but it wasnt awful.
  5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

thanks for the info, i do have classic cfs, with all the bells and afraid this cardio doc, wont know a thing about cfs, and therefore wont find what cheney and others find that know what thier looking for.

But i guess it will give me peace of mind if nothing else.i've been putting it off for a while. so i guess it's time to " man up" as they say,lol
    ( still scared like a big ole baby)

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Kat - A good cardio doc will find anything wrong with your heart "if" there is something to be found. A lot of cardiologists question Dr. Cheney's testing. He is not a cardiologist and many feel that he either doesn't know how to use his machine properly, or, that he is misinterpreting the results of the tests he is doing.

7. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

all this time i thought he was a cardio dr! so what does he specialize in?
    internal med or infectious disease??

i don't know how i can feel so bad with all this heart stuff and not have a thing wrong. this has got to be the wierdest disease in history.
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

As far as I can tell, he is a regular MD who sees only CFS patients. I don't think he ever specialized in any one dicipline of medicine as far as medical school goes.
  9. simonedb

simonedb Member

there are those for him and against him, when I read up on diastolic dysfunction and pfo (hole in heart) it definitely could fit and explain wiht some of my symptoms. Cheney is highly intelligent and he was a physicist before an MD so no slouch and he with Peterson was one of the docs to report to CDC the outbreak of CFS in the mid 1980s. He has research papers. He is controversial but arent they all, he knows CFS. As far as I can tell there are pros and cons and biases to all the CFS expert docs they all have their biases that work for some and not others. I didnt keep going to Cheney cus too expensive for me but he certainly helped tie together a lot of loose ends for me, I dont know any CFS people who are totally cured by anybody right now, any that have been sick for a long time anyway like over 10 years.

Also if you think that a regular cardio doc can totally figure out your heart issues I would have to say you're as mistaken as if though you would expect any general pracitioner to diagnose and treat cfs/me. Most of cardio guys I know don't even want to explore mitral valve prolapse signs, unless you have systolic heart problems I think they miss a lot and I think historically their model of diagnosis and treatment has been based on men who have different heart issues and signs than women.
  10. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

thats whats worring me also, my cfids dr found me a cardio dr close to where i live at to do the echo, no doubt he dosen't know squat about cfids, fibro,OI,pots, or any of the number of things we deal with.

i had one cardio dr stop me mid sentence and tell me he didn't want to hear about any of my FEMALE probs, he was there to do a stress test and echo. and i needed to go find me a good lady dr( what ever the hell that means) to help with all my other problems.
    then proceeded to answer his cell phone and talk to someone about another case for 15 min or so while i just sat there, feeling stupid.

i told him to shove his tests and walked out. thats why i hate all of this!! i know i need to have it done cause things are feeling worse,I'm just tired of getting nowhere. but i know where in the same boat, so im sorry to rant about stupid stuff:(

11. simonedb

simonedb Member

Cheney had me lie down for it in '08, I think for the whole thing but perhaps memory foggy, but lying down is what I recall. Its not like exercise stress test. He did tell me that getting the bubble test was important to do if fighting for disability, I have never had it done but guess its accepted in court.
  12. autumn_rain

autumn_rain New Member

Hi, Im a trainee cardiac physiologist, So dont take my word as gospel, but reading everyones comments some of you have terrible cardiac doctors!!!

Anyone whos trained in Cardiac echo will easily be able to pick up anything thats wrong, if there is something wrong. This should by no way be made any different by the fact that you have CFS. If theres something wrong theres something wrong.

A stress test isnt to bad, they can stress you with drugs or on a treadmill. Drugs is easier, you can just feel a bit faint and sick, its an odd feeling, as youre heart is beating really fast and yet youre laying down! If youre worried about PFO's (holes in the heart) you should ask for the bubble study, it shows if there are any tiny holes that they would might otherwise miss.

Im massivley interested in Cheeny and just about to do my echo rotation, so after having suffered from ME for 15years and only being 24, Im looking forward to maybe having a look at my own heart and seeing if theres anything odd about me!! Im sorry you're so worried but to me its all fascinating and if you have a good doc you will be totaly fine :) let us know how it goes!! I would love to be able to study this in my future studies!!

good luck xxx
  13. simonedb

simonedb Member

I agree the regular echo is nothing to be afraid of and can find a lot but one limitation it has, or perhaps we need to look at it like its not its intended purpose, is the delayed dysfucntion, the PEM phenomena and whatever is going on with the body with that. I had a regular echo and was fine during it, other than being worried was going to throw my neck out, but I was flared up the next day for a week but didnt feel the fatigue during the actual test.

These guys at Pacific labs get at the heart of it and then there is Peckermans study (o3?) where he uses some variation on an regular echo that one has to be trained in, they didnt know how to do it at my university clinic.

btw congrats autumn on your education!
    Article: “Abnormal Impedance Cardiography Predicts Symptom Severity in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.” The American Journal of the Medical Sciences. 2003; 326(2):55-60.
    (peckermans, will post a thread with results for others reference)

Oh and Glen you probly asked if I was lying down for Cheney echo because we tend to do better lying down w/cfs as does our heart, cheney was inducing fatigued states other ways like with oxygen and other substances
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2010]
  14. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have had two echos after several abnormal EKGs .. All went well nothing to it .. I did not have the stress test because with my CFIDS I knew there was no way I could do it.. Doctors didn't mention a stress test.. My heart flutters, skip beats, I feel I can't breath at times and this is getting to be daily.. Found no abnormals on Echo and said EKG it was PVCs caused by anxiety..

Oh, I have had 2 stress test, one I passed out on and one they didn't even get started before they had to stop but yet the Cardo said all was ok.. These stress test were before I knew I had CFIDS..

Good luck and let us know,
  15. simonedb

simonedb Member

greatgran sorry to hear, sounds like you are an example where echo shows useful (but hard!) info

I don't know whats up with my heart if anything beyond Cheney strongly believing likely pfo.
    I did have tilt test like 14 years ago and was positive for NMH, and the cardiologist told me I have a "click" in my heart but I dont think he thought that mattered but rec'd florinef for the low b/p which made my heart race and I hated it
  16. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

about 10 years ago, i had a couple echos and stress tests. one found nothing the other found a slight thickening of my Mitral valve.

at that time, i had one ekg that showed pvc's. im hoping it will just be a echo, if i have to get on a treadmill, ill be sick for weeks :(

they couldnt squeeze me in till the 22nd so i have a lot of time to worry;/ but thanks for the info. i didn't know you had some testing done, it makes me feel better knowing your ticker turned out ok:)
    thanks again!

17. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

A BioZ machine is used to perform an impedance cardiography test. Not all cardiologists know about this or run this test. This is the test referred to in Dr. Peckerman's article: "Abnormal Impedance Cardiography Predicts Symptom Severity in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" (

I had two of these tests done about a year apart 3 or 4 years ago and both times showed rather significant abnormalities, but I don't think anything would show up on a regular ECG.

I do have the delayed onset fatigue (PEM) like simonebd. It would be interesting to see how others with PEM do with an impedance cardiography.

The test needs to be administered twice, about 10 minutes apart, lying down and then standing up and the doctor should compare the results of the two tests.

The manufacturer's website is - a few years ago if you called them they would give you the name(s) of cardiologists in your area who had one of their machines, and they are not uncommon. The test is surprisingly cheap - it was around $120 for both readings.

But it is a mistake to say that any cardiologist will know about this or do this test. Most don't know anything about CFS and many know nothing about this test or the BioZ machine.