ECT, anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by miguelita, Jul 30, 2008.

1. miguelita

miguelita New Member

I was diagnosed with psychotic depression but couldn't stand the idea and possible side effects of antipsychoyics. Am now feeling much better after a long and painful 9 months but despair at living (or not) through it again. I have a husband and 2 small and gorgous kids as well as a larger family and don't want them to have to live through my suicide. Does anyone know anything about ECT. Has anyone had it?
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

I can understand why you do not want to live through another period of psychotic depression and wish you luck whatever you decide about ECT.

There's a depression message board here at immune support where you can ask for feedback. To find the depression message board click on the Message Boards box at the top of the page then click on depression.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2008]
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

So sorry you have to deal with such complex and painful issues!

I do hope you are getting advice and counsel from your doctor and clinicians with experience treating the type of depression you suffered. Your courage facing your illness and your determination to protect your family are most admirable.

I think you may have misunderstood the nature of this board. It is a board dealing with Myalgic Encephalitis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia. Since it's not a mental health board, I don't think this is the most fruitful place for you to find information about ECT.

However, there is a Depression board which you can access where it says "Message Boards" just above your post. You may find people there with relevant experience. And, of course, do keep working with whomever is treating you.

Good luck to you. You sound like a strong woman.

Peace out,

PS The video at the link below is:
    Surgeon and author Sherwin Nuland discusses the development of electroshock therapy as a cure for severe, life-threatening depression -- including his own. It’s a moving and heartfelt talk about relief, redemption and second chances.

[This Message was Edited on 07/31/2008]