ECT, difficulty concentrating, and needing book suggestions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Aug 6, 2007.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I've had several rounds of ECT in the past, and the last tx I had caused such severe problems that they stopped treatment. To this day I have problems with short and long term memory loss and difficulty concentrating. I used to love to read, but can no longer concentrate long enough to be able to flow through even a few pages. I've tried reading books meant for children and adolescents, but have the same problem. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions so that I can stimulate my brain and enjoy a good book?

painterZ
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm sorry, I can't really help at all....What is ECT?

I've had trouble with short term memory since I had Toxic Shock Syndrome when I was 18, but I guess I'm lucky, I have never had any problems reading.

Have you tried books on tape?

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Maybe try books on tape to see if that would help???? Libraries are usually a good place to get them.

Maybe just concentrating on quietly listening without the added burden of visual reading itself may help you remember better?????
    I don't know, it is just a suggestion.
  4. tabt

tabt New Member

Gee that's a tough one, but here are some suggestions. Try to find a neuropsychologist who specializes in working with people who have learning disabilities. He or she can test you for cognitive problems and may be able to help you with some strategies and/or suggestions. To find someone like this, try contacting your local Vocational Rehabilitation office or a school or web site that specializes in helping people who have learning problems.

Hope that this is some help, but if you get stuck feel free to contact me. No guarantees of course, but maybe I'll have other ideas.

Good luck and best wishes always.

tabt

5. jrose

jrose New Member

How about short stories? You can leave the book and not have to go back to refresh yourself about what's happening.I find that books on tape put me to sleep!lol. Judy
  6. painterZ

painterZ New Member

all around. Thanks so much. I never really thought about seeing a doc due to an actual learning disability. I never even framed myself that way, but it might be worth looking into. I called the local library and they really have a ton of books on tape. Now I need to find a good ol' fashion tape player, they're all either for CD's or Ipods.lol Finding some short stories is a really good thought too. I know I have one of those chicken soup books around here.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your great ideas.

painterZ
  7. mgk321

mgk321 New Member

any of the Janet Evanovich books? They's hilarious. They're short and not complicated and they should make you laugh. Start with her first one, "One for the Money" and go from there. She's written thirteen of the books, about a female bounty hunter who lives in New Jersey. Her longest personal relationship is with her pet hamster, Rex, and in her books you'll meet her crazy family. The best character, by far, is her grandmother.

If you can't get books on CD, see if your library can get them for you. Lot's of times, they can borrow them from other libraries. That way you don't have to hunt for a tape player.

Other funny and short books, light but not stupid, include books by Carl Hiassen, William Tapply and Philip Craig. Ask your librarians for some recommendations. They love to give them.

Good luck. Your memory will recovery eventually so don't worry.
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I don't know if you're familiar with Granta but it is a paperback sized "magazine" of usually new, often brilliant, sometimes out there, edgy, fantastic SHORT pieces of contemporary writing. The best of the best in manageable chunks.

I just LOVE Granta. Not because the pieces are short, necessarily, but because they are fantastic. Why not google it to see if it is the kind of thing you would like.

Peace,
    Rafiki
  9. painterZ

painterZ New Member

about everyone's suggestions. I printed it off and I also found that my public library is online (yeah, I'm a little slow) but I can check out what's available, or even order it. That way I know exactly when I can go to the library and have it waiting for me at the desk.

Thanks so much everybody!! I'm looking forward to stimulating my brain.

painterZ