Edinburgh Military Tattoo Bagpipes et al

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Aug 4, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,hope your all having a fine weekend.Each August over here in our capital Edinburgh,the city hosts a very well celebrated event called the Edinburgh Festival.To many,the highlight of the Festival is the Military Tattoo which is an amazing spectacle which takes place in the grounds just outside Edinburgh Castle with sequences/acts from Pipe Bands & musicians from all over the world.Check out the Youtube link below & see what you think.Amazing or what?
    The second clip if you notice takes the formation of a thistle.

[This Message was Edited on 08/05/2007]
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm off to watch! Sounds Kool!,,S
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

An awesome sight. I love the sound of the pipes, drums, and colors. When I was in Edinburgh, I heard pipes in the distance, while I was exploring the Royal Mile.

I had the chance to catch a few films at the Fringe Film Festival, but not the Edinburgh Festival.

Hey, did you know that on most Sundays, the Old Course at St Andrews becomes a public park, with people able to walk on the course? They must provide poop bags for people walking their dogs! Not this weekend, though; the Women's British Open is going on. I'm pulling for Lorena Ochoa. What a great player.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2007]
  4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Sis,if you love the sounds of the bagpipes then you'll definitely enjoy this.
    Ken,the pipes bands in full flight are so amazing they make my hair stand on end.Yep,I'm hooked on the Women's British Open at St Andrews this weekend.You must be watching & listening to the comments of Peter Aliss,I'm sure he remarked today that on Sunday's the Old Course becomes a public park.I never knew that before,but when I visited St Andrew's recently it was on a Sunday & when I come to think of it I never noticed anyone teeing off the 1st or finishing the 18th,very interesting.And I'm wanting Lorena to win as well,I hadn't really heard much about her until this weekend,but she really deserves to win,& she looks as tho she's really enjoying it,smiling & chatting her way around the course.She'd be a very worthy winner.
    That's why I haven't been on here much recently,there has been too much amazing sport on tv,especially all this golf from Scotland.
  5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Check out this fun Edinburgh Military clip,this will give you a laugh.This is the New Zealand Army Band with a very amusing sequence,with a James Bond sketch & more:

6. sisland

sisland New Member

Very entertaining! Really liked the bag pipers! and also the Top secret Drum corps from Switzerland,,,,,,The red coated Band from Aus,, was great too!

We get Bagpipers that come down here From Canada to preform in the Parades at Fair time,,,,,,Thanks for the link! Hope your havin a good weekend!
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Loved it!

I have lots of bagpipe records (LPs). Who knows; maybe some of my Scottish ancestors played the pipes. Maybe The Green Hills of Tyrol.

8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Glad you both enjoyed.
    Sis,the pipers from Canada sound like a lot of fun.And Rock,I'm sure some of your ancestors did play the pipes.
    I wish I could play them,now that would be quite a talent.
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

was wondering what the formation was! a Thistle (makes sense now!) I thought it might be the Scottish Flag symbol,,,,,But since i just re-read your post at the end you said it was a Thistle,,,,(Duh!) ,,,,,lolol,,,,is that a symbol for Edinburgh? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Up earlie due to a host of wildland Fires around us here in the region,,,,,,,,,,,,Have to close windows so smoke doesn't drift in to much!
    ps. The Camera work on the Bagpipers was amazing ,,,,the players are very patient Eh'?

It almost looks like they are running around in circles to get the shots!
  10. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yep,the Thistle is the national flower of Scotland.Legend has it that a Viking attacker(probably Rock's ancestors,lol,only kidding Rock) stood on a jaggy thistle one night and cried out,thereby alerting the defending Scottish soldiers,and so it has become a famous Scottish Emblem.
    Sis,hope the wild fires are not too near you.
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

Checkout the Photo that was in the Paper this Am: This guy is very close to the fires! He lives in a place called star Meadows,,,,,,He's Running to save his live stock!,,,,,,,,,,,,,Theres about 11 fires all around us but the closest one to where i live is 20 miles away,,,,,,,,The air is very Smokey!,,,,,,S
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The New Zealand Army band's performance was hilarious. Talk about versatile: James Bond theme, Austin Powers, Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, traditional Maori dance. Wow!
    Much thanks for that clip.

I've been having a bit of a bad spell, so I'm spending a lot of time lying around, doing nothing except watching TV and reading a little. But there have been some great sporting events on TV this summer. Golf is just the thing for when I'm feeling crummy. Great to see Lorena Ochoa win her first major, and at the Old Course, no less. As usual, the sound of bagpipes on the course at the end gave me chills. Between you and me, I can't get over how attractive many of the LPGA players are these days: Nathalie Gulbis, Paula Creamer, Lorena Ochoa, and many of the Korean players. Lorena certainly has class and dignity as well.

Also enjoyed watching Tiger Woods clean everybody's clock at the Bridgestone Invitational today.

13. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Sis,checked out your pic & those fires look quite scary.Glad to hear you're a good bit away.
    Ken,the sport has been excellent this summer.The sound of the bagpipes always seems to inspire me & when I heard them on the Old Course it gave me goosebumps.Lorena certainly deserved to win her 1st major & is a very worthy champion.What a great ambassador for golf & Mexico.
    Linda,have never been to the Edinburgh Tattoo yet,hopefully one day.I believe the tickets for this event are very hard to come by though.
  14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

makes the hair stand on the back of my neck as well Paul.

My daughter was through in Edinburgh on Sat and met a couple from San Diego who are over with their two sons, one of them in a pipe band. Lovely people.

They're staying in Stirling so meeting up with my daughter and husband, guys to play golf and women for a glass of wine and a chat.

Went to the Tattoo once, 1976 - quite amazing.

15. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I think I would love to go to the Military tattoo,it would be an amazing experience.Just have to watch the highlights on tv instead,lol.
    Hey Rock,here's a link for Scotland The Brave & The Green Hills of Tyrol.
    As Sir Sean Connery would say: shuperb!!

16. sisland

sisland New Member

I didn't mean to interupt your thread with the fire stuff! sorry! I need to pay more attention to that!,,,,,,sis
  17. paulmack

paulmack New Member

No problems,think your wild-fire problems are more important than watching some videos.Lets hope they get it under control soon.It been some summer for extreme weather all over the world & the many problems caused by such extremes.
    On a lighter note I've been on You-tube all afternoon watching Bagpipe Videos & came across a fun comedian named Johnny Bagpipes,lol.Never heard of him before but some of his stuff is real funny.Plays the Star Wars theme & much more on the pipes.Check him out below:

18. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Those were great. And to think the bands were in Colorado, not Scotland.

Was listening to Andy Stewart only last night. Can't beat him and Kenneth McKellar. (McKellar also recorded some opera and was excellent at that too.)

Reminds me of the old joke. What's the difference between a lawnmower and a bagpipe.

You can tune a lawnmower.

I found some bagpipe T shirts on the net:

Been there.
    Drone that.

Don't do it w/ an old bag.

You toucha my pipes, I breaka your face.

And just to cover um, another base:

Why do they call it a kilt?
    Because if you call it a skirt you might get punched in the nose.

Hoots Mon!
  19. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Those were pretty good.You could be on the stage with that repetoire of jokes,maybe alongside Johnny Bagpipes,lol.
  20. sisland

sisland New Member

Kool! Johnny Bagpiper! ,,,Never seen a comic Bagpiper before! The crowd loved him! I liked the rockband one and the famous "The lion sleeps tonight"
    "In the Jungle the Mighty Jungle the Lion sleeps tonight" That was me singin' Ha!,,,,,Thanks for the cheer up! Kool Thistle!