Editing Posts..Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Feb 26, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I know this sounds trivial, but it's something that's really annoying me! Whenever I write a post, I honestly do not see the spelling and grammatical errors while I'm composing and typing it. I only see them once I post it. Then I have to go in and edit the post, because it will bother me to have it sitting out there with mistakes. How come I don't see the errors until I post it? Is it something cognitive or is it because the print is smaller? Anyway, this is my gripe for today and that's why alot of my posts are always edited!!!

2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I think it has to do with what browser you use too. Firefox has a built in spell checker, so whatever I am typing, where ever it will underline the misspelled word automatically.
  3. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

That sounds exactly like me too! I also got the Firefox spellchecker with my recent update. I don't know how I managed to get by without looking like a total moron without it.

And dyslexic typing...does anyone else have this problem? I am not dyslexic, but my typing gets steadily more reversed the older I get. Smaller words are completely backwards!

I can't answer your question about why we don't see the mistakes till they are posted. But I have wondered if it has something to do with the fact that

A. the space to type the message is smaller than the page it comes out on,

B. it has a different font.

Maybe our eyes can scan it better when it is more spread out. And some fonts are just more readable than others.

It's okay to edit. All the cool people are doing it!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2008]
  4. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I'm one of the cool people too! I'm always seeing mistakes and editing.

Most of my posts would have about six edit messages, except that I've learned to delete the previous edit messages. That way it looks like I only made one edit and a mcuh better riter than I really am:) cheers, mr Bill
  5. karenweil

karenweil New Member

How do you go back and edit?
  6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

You have probably figured this out by now. But when you look back at a post you made already, you will see below your name the choice to edit or delete. Just click that, do your editing, then click "post reply."
    If that is you in the photo, you are a real beauty!
  7. karenweil

karenweil New Member

Yup, thats me about a year ago. Thanks for the compliment.
  8. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

You can download ieSpell (spell-check software, you can find it through google) for free. Then all you need to do is right click on your message before you post and it will check the spelling for you.

I'd be lost without ieSpell because - especially since investing in an ergonomic keyboard that I'm having trouble adjusting to - I make many mistakes.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I think it is a combination of the small print size and the short sentence width. You are normal!!!!!!!!
  10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Sometimes when I go in to edit, I hit the delete button by mistake and then the whole post is gone!!

I hate when I do that!!

11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

There is something about the font, the box, the little guys clapping and laughing and sucking on pacifiers just above where I'm typing that makes me want to close my eyes.

I don't even want to be careful in here - the posting box. I just want to get it over with and get out.

What bothers me more than anything else is the awkward sentence structure and peculiar grammar I find I've used when I see it posted. Sometimes I just can't bring myself to go back in here. Sometimes I force myself back in and I'm overwhelmed with confusion.

If I go overlong and it scrolls out of view, I'm totally lost.

I feel so much better that I'm not alone!

Peace out,

PS I have spellcheck (spell-check? spell check? spell cheque? ;~) or I'd be totally incomprehensible.

[This Message was Edited on 02/27/2008]
  12. tansy

tansy New Member

and difficulties coordinating my hands it's the font that causes me problems. i use a sans serif font which is what appears here but the message window encorporates a serif font.

difficulties reading serif fonts is similar to the problems many have reading posts in caps.

when having better days i will try and correct my posts to make them easier to read but also to try and improve my writing skills generally.

some time ago there was a post on the me/cfs fm board about how we can read spelling mistakes; someone forgot to tell my brain that.

when reading non me/cfs and fm message boards elsewhere i found a high incidence of incorrectly typed posts. because we have cognitive issues i think we're just more aware of their consequences.

tc, tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2008]
  13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You're so right, serif sucks!

There is a nice clean font in the title box and if I look up there I feel so much better. It's remarkable, really, how much better I feel. I feel less seasick and I feel less cognitive distress almost immediately.

The font for the message portion is not only more ornate, it is also inconsistently dark/light.

When I can choose a font, I never use a serif font.

I wonder if this is something that can be changed? It's a small thing but I think it would make a lot of people feel a lot better while on IS.

Peace to you,

[This Message was Edited on 03/01/2008]