EDTA chelation therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Nov 25, 2005.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Has anyone done this? It is to further remove heavy metals, esp. mercury, from the system. I believe you have to sit for more than an hour with the IV...did it help your energy level?
    Thanks in advance for any responses.
  2. turquoise

turquoise Member

Do not, I repeat DO NOT let a dr. give you EDTA if you are mercury-toxic!!! It will only make the situation worse. I speak from bitter personal experience (happened YEARS ago before I knew mercury was the largest problem that I had), plus the relayed experiences of other people. If you have a dr. that wants to use EDTA for mercury you have the wrong dr. and need to RUN the other way.

The legitimate use of EDTA is for acute rather than chronic lead poisoning. It will also supposedly help remove calcium from the arteries , which is what most practitioners use it for.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I think that DMPS or DMSA are the ones used most for mercury.
    Anyone else?

Kathy
  4. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Previous posters were right...EDTA can be good for lead but not for mercury. Again, as prev. posters said, there are other more appropriate chelators for high mercury levels (DMPS, etc., although even that isn't approved by the FDA). EDTA also pulls other metals out of your body, so if it is recommended for you (again, more for lead), you need to make sure you don't get depleted nutritionally, as well. For example, you may need to take a multimineral supplement (but let your doctor advise you on this).

Heavy metal chelation is NOT as straightforward/"easy" as it may sound. You should only do this under the care of a licensed health care provider who is very knowledgeable about it. Otherwise, you could be "stirring up" levels of toxins that could make your symptoms worse, instead of just binding them/making them "inert" (chelating) and getting them out of your system.

BTW, I did EDTA and DMPS chelation about a year to 6 mo. ago to get rid of various heavy metal toxins in my body. I tried a supplement containing EDTA first (under medical supervision and recommended by my naturopathic doctor). Initially, I felt better, and then the symptoms I now know to be CFS got much worse. A few rounds of IV DMPS helped somewhat (I was desperate...my thinking was so foggy and I had a 3 y.o. daughter mildly autistic daughter I had to care for). I also had to do some intense IV treatments of glutathione, because my levels of that as well as cysteine were incredibly depleted (shown by clinical tests). I am doing somewhat better energy and cognition-wise, but I'm still a long way from 100%. Just telling you this so you please, please be careful and don't try to jump at anything that sounds promising!

Good luck, and I wish you the best!
    C.
  5. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

As stated already, EDTA is not good for mercury detox. it does work for such metals as lead, but has proven to be a useless chelator of mercury.

Best (& safest method) for chelating mercury is DMSA orally. You can order DMSA caps online & start w/small doses of 25 mg & work your way up from there.

I would not advise trying DMSA though, until you've removed all existing amalgams from your teeth first. If the metal from your mouth is not remved first, you can end up pulling the mercury out of the amalgams & re-circulating it through the body & brain.

Get the amalgams out & then go very slowly forward w/the dmsa detox program.

JT
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

since there are other options. My son has had all of his amalgams replaced, but I'm not noticing a huge improvement in his fatigue and cognitive functions yet. Of course, I'm in a hurry for him to be "normal" again, but I will have to be patient. It would be worse to make him sicker....we are already doing a lot of natural detoxifiers, such as ALA, Vit C, garlic, and grapeseed extract. Thanks for all of your responses! It is better to listen to experience rather than to jump into the EDTA and be sorry.....