Education/Career Assistance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sshields38, Jun 3, 2010.

1. sshields38

sshields38 New Member

I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, IBS, spinal stenosis and bulging discs in my lower back. I was turned down by Social Security Disability which I appealed and was denied yet again. I have not worked in 3 1/2 years and wish to go back to school but have limited resources to do so. Does anyone know of any programs that might help me finanacially with tuition, books, etc. ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I live in SC but worked in NC throughout my career in Call Center Management. I cannot work in my previous field and need work that combines sitting and standing.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with information!
  2. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

asking at your local community college - they tend to have good resources for this kind of thing, and generally you don't have to be going to the school to access them

the library may have good info, too

and if neither of these works, they should both be able to refer you elsewhere
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Once you've checked out what you want to do, where you want to go - community college etc., definitely register with This will tell you what Financial aid you are eligible for. Everyone is eligible for some- just depends on what kind.

There are literally TONS of scholarships out there, it's a matter of searching for them and signing up for any and all of them. Fastweb is one place where you can search for scholarships.
    There are probably scholarships for people with disabilities, I swear there are some for almost everything imaginable, ie blue-eyed people etc. LOL

If you get any student loans, as I mentioned FAFSA is better than getting private student loans.

If there is a good community college near you, see if you can make an appt with a career counselor to see what kinds of courses they offer that interest you. They are pretty affordable in comparison. If you can get any scholarships or low interest loans to help out you might be able to get a new career with good job potential in a relatively short amount of time!

Do you have some ideas of what you'd like to do?