Education survey

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GeneticDefect, Jul 12, 2003.

1. GeneticDefect

GeneticDefect New Member

I've read that CFIDS/FM people were once hyper,full of energy, go-getters, over-achievers,and Type A personality. Remember when CFIDS was once called the yuppie disease?

I'm curious about our levels of higher education...excluding high school. All I want is your level of education and what age you started feeling sick.

P.S. I'm asking this question out of personal curiousity and in no way comparing level of education to Type A personality.

Sample:
    1 year of college
    Age 24

[This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]
  2. GeneticDefect

GeneticDefect New Member

Two B.A.'s from Arizona State Univ. Psychology and Religious Studies.
    UC Berkeley Summer session 2001
    Graduate school pending

Onset of symptoms Age 22, now 37 yrs old
    Symptoms became worse as time went on.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2003]
  3. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Master's Degree, Clinical Psychology...although, I have studied plants, during illness, but not well enough to go back to school..Gardening speaks to my need for being grounded..

Was interested in Religious Studies, too, but did not get any degrees in it.

Started feeling ill around age 25, but "lost my brain" at age 30, now 50 years old..

Plantscaper[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2003]
  4. JP

JP New Member

BS and Graduate degree
    started feeling pretty bad mid 30's, now 42
  5. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

pursuing Bachelors in RN.
    musician
    cosmetologist for 15 years
    started FM symptoms 18 years old(very few/far between
    symptoms much heavier starting 10 yrs. ago
  6. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

except for worn out adrenals for me (I am the worst with symptoms in our family), i don't believe it has to do with education since my immediate family all got it last summer.

but....me: BA in bus adm. was adm officer for 22 companies..company went under just 3 months prior to me getting sick

husband: BA in finance....husband owns own consulting business, he was a laid back kinda guy but good at what he does....

2 daughters in school...top grades, good schools, high achievers....but were happy and laid back....

crissy[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2003]
  7. 2aycocks

2aycocks New Member

I completed a BA in Psychology and minor in Education from University of Texas at Tyler. Then on to Graduate school, but did not finish. I have wanted to but a few years ago I started noticing that I could not remember things, think fast enough, and struggled with finding the words at times when I talked. Didn't know what on earth that was all about. Brain fog.

I taught school for 15 years, but this past year could only make it until the end of Sept. don't plan on going back.

Now I have a quilting website that keeps me busy and at home.
  8. j9miller

j9miller New Member

Associates of Science
    Associates of Arts
    Child Development Associate (Early Childhood Education)

I taught preschool for 8 years. At church I was on the preschool committee (chairperson), preschool coordinator for Sunday School, resource room coordinator and Vacation Bible School Director. I taught for the Miami Baptist Association, the Florida Baptist Convention and the National Southern Baptist Convention - I taught other adults how to teach preschool and children in Sunday School and Vacation Bible School.

Started feeling bad in 1987 after I was punched in the jaw by a "then" boyfriend. I started with SEVERE TMJ. DX with FM in 2000 but I know it started in 1987. I worked until 1998. I was scheduled to have another jaw surgery and just knew that I would not be able to go back to work anymore. I was giving everyone except my family the little bit of "good moments" I had.

Boy, I sure do miss those days. I was busy, maybe to busy. I think God wanted me to slow down and I didn't listen, so he stopped me completly. So the way I figure it is ...

"The Lord has now given me a ministry of being, rather that a ministry of doing."

And thats okay. I can still serve in so many ways ... just not in such "active" rolls.

Janine
  9. JQP

JQP New Member

Going by Devin's diagnostic already had symptoms 1968

Left school with O levels 1971
    Further Ed 1 year 1972
    Access to Higher Ed 1992
    City and Guilds 1993 -5 when CF kicked in

First diagnosed FM 1996
    BSc started in 1997

Diagnosed again 1998
    Graduated 2001

And yes worked full time until 1992 - at times with two jobs, plus ex-husband's work, cricket and young son, and then really nasty divorce - made JR look cute!
  10. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Associates, medical sciences - junior college.

Diagnosed over 20 years ago in my early 30's.

(However, was a tom boy growing up and can remember one summer as a young teen never getting off the couch and my mother calling me lazy--was that the beginning?)
    June
  11. franners

franners New Member

Have nurses degree
    child developement
    fire fighter and assissted on the squad (volunteer)
    farmer
    Assisted in managing 150 bed nursing facility
    TAPS Trainer
    Train The Trainer
    Am assisting in a trucking business (Honey Ron's) I mainly run my mouth that is easy.. (Bi#ch when he isn't getting paid for a job)
    Now I am 40, just diagnosed but had "something" going on for 10 years.. Can't go anymore.. Having problem with cognition and memory... I guess I can still play a little bit around here on a good day, but I can not stand for the wind to blow on me.... Not too many days without the wind..
  12. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Are you saying that only people who have "higher degrees" are over-achievers and go-getters? You certainly have hurt my feelings! I ONLY have a high-school degree. I started working when I was 17 and haven't stopped, except for a few years to raise my child, who is in college now and made the Dean's List 3 times. Have done volunteer work in addition to my paid job for over 20 years. I ONLY have a high school degree so I guess I'm not an "over-achiever" or "go-getter". I have been sensitive to this "college" issue since I was in high school and put down by other girls for not being in the college prep program. I supported my husband while he was in graduate school. It took me years to overcome this sensitivity and I thank you for raising this issue again. NOT!

Annette2
  13. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I recieved my Assoc. of Arts at 36. At the same time I was working full time, the mommy of 3, 2 of which were teens, and had a hubby who traveled for work so was only home on weekends. The only reason I didn't persue my Bachelors is because there wasn't a University near me, that was affordable, and I wasn't willing for my children to be without a Mom as well. So, I agree. Paper is only worth what it is written on. I still possessed the same types of characteristics. Type A...Yeah, Overachiever...Yeah, Hyper...Yeah.
  14. bakron

bakron New Member

that's me . .

ASN (nursing)
    PHN (CSUB)
    Specialization in Oncology (USC)

Worked full time for years after children were in school.

Symptomatic at age 27 or 28 (I think? Long time ago.).

I don't think that you have to have a degree to be an overachiever or type A. I've known too many people without degrees who are just like I am to make that type of assumption.
  15. Kim

Kim New Member

MBA
    Certified Public Accountant
    Certified Internal Auditor
    Certified Management Accountant
    30 doctoral hours in education administration
    published textbooks, won awards,
    GOT SICK at age 43 but was very stressed, driven, overachiever long before that.
  16. klutzo

klutzo New Member

B. A. Degree - Major in Psychiatric Social Work, Minor in Fine Arts
    Florida Realtor's License
    Studied Naturopathic Medicine - emphasis on Nutritional Medicine

Got sick at age 34.

Klutzo
  17. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

-1&1/2 years for LPN
    -4 years for BSN
    -RN's need continuing credits, and I always worked for far more than what was required.
    -Started with "arthritis" in my 30's

I was always on the go and have always worked. I've always been in volunteer organizations; sometimes 4 at a time. I always put myself last. Perfectionist. My job evaluations always said how organized I was and how I always "went above and beyond"
  18. GeneticDefect

GeneticDefect New Member

Thank you Bek!! I couldn't of said it better myself.

I apologize if I offended anyone. I thought it was a simple question I was asking and I'm sorry if you misconstrued it. No way was I correlating level of education and over-achievers. I asked this SHORT ANSWERED question simply out of personal curiosity.

I realize with this illness we are not able to the things we really want to do. I can totally understand if I struck a chord with a few people. FYI..it took me 12 years to get my degrees. People would asked me "why aren't you done with school yet?" Talk about striking a chord!! I wanted to scream at them and say "CAUSE I'M FRIGGIN SICK ALL THE TIME"

Also, I worked a low paying night shift caring for retarded individuals. They slept through the night and so did I. I was unable to work any other type of job due to my illness. I'm still working with the disabled (even with my degrees) because of health insurance and my boss lets me set my own hours. I can find more money in my couch cushions than what I make on a weekly basis.

Please don't assume I don't understand... because I do understand and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Thanks, in advance, to all whom particpated in this survey. Let's keep it going.
  19. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Ph.D., Psychology

Symptoms probably started in HS (unexplained muscle spasms, joint pains), but few and far btwn. Big time problems began in 1989 after rear-end car accident. Not diagnosed til 1995. Have charged hard through the pain, but lately cognitive problems and fatigue have put an end to any last remaining Type A tendencies.

On the education bit, it has nothing to do with Type A--my parents expected us to be educated, and life circumstances were such that we could afford to do it. Type A is the way you approach things--ambitious, impatient, hard charging, easy to anger, etc. Think George Steinbrenner, and you've got it!
  20. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Master's in Psychology/Clinical Counseling
    Sick at age 28