Eeeewwww GROSS...I have FLEAS

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Feb 7, 2008.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I wondered why I was so itchy and then I saw one of those little buggers hop off of me and onto my chair. Now please be advised that I am the type of person who saves bugs that are trapped indoors and places them outdoors, but this is just discusting! I combed out my dog and two cats and they were clean. I tape-checked my furniture, carpet, mattress and everything but the chair I usually sit in was clean. That leaves only one answer, that I am the source of contamination. I took all three furry children to the vet and they were negative for fleas. I asked the vet tech to comb me out too, she laughed, I wasn't kidding, so she looked at my head and "coat" and said "No fleas". I showed her the tape I pulled off my chair and she confirmed it. She tried to calm me down by saying that "All you have to do is stand near someone and they can hop right onto you and multiple very quickly." Is that supposed to make me feel better? I had to cancel my therapy appt today and told my doc that, although I'm not blaming her or her office but that the only other place I had been that day was on the waiting room couch. It's so gross but at least we were laughing about it. Anyway my chair is deloused, and I keep checking the rug and stuff for fleas (none yet), and I'm still itchy but hopefully my flea adventure is over :)

Please don't think I'm gross for what I just wrote...I HAD to tell somebody and it's not really something you want to discuss with neighbors.

painterZ
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I know too well what that's like! We had an infestation in our living room area rug & upholstered furniture that was supposed to be off-limits to dogs (altho we later realized they snuck in there), rest of house was hard floors and leather........

So I vacuumed ad infinitum with no success, didn't want to set off a 'bug bomb' since daughter was only 10 months old at the time. I also walked around the rug every day several times with white socks and sweats on, so fleas would jump on me (and I could see them), and I'd brush them off into a bucket of water!

Luckily my BIL worked for Fish/Wildlife and was able to get us a water based non toxic solution, it was something that stopped the fleas (and mosquitos) from developing to adulthood. I just had to spray everything 2 weeks apart with the solution in a 'weed sprayer', they were gone within 2 days of the first spray & vacuuming...

I don't know if it's commercially available even now (that was 24 years ago!), sure hope so cuz it was extremely effective!

Sure hope they're all gone - really, all that's needed is one flea that's preggers!

all the best,
    Victoria

3. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Fleas suck! I have had to deal with them in the past. If you get paranoid you have any on you, jump in the empty bathtub. They are attracted to white and will jump off of you.

Just try to refrain from scratching your ear with your foot in public!
  4. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I noticed you haven't posted on the other board for a couple of months.

I was wondering how your on-going struggles is progressing? If I remember right, a court date is looming? If so, I hope everything goes in your favor!

Take care

budmickl
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

Fleas are a pretty common problem here in Florida. It rarely gets cold enough outside to kill them off. My cat can get fleas just sitting in an open window in front of the screen, four or five feet above the ground outside. Fleas come in on anyone from out of doors. My husband is like a flea magnet. We have to keep flea treatments of our cat really steady if we don't want to have an investation.
  6. painterZ

painterZ New Member

ha ha. I guess this cycle of really warm weather one day and then freezing cold the next even has those little buggers confused. I really don't itch anymore, the chair is clean, and the rest of the house, including my furry children remain clean. Can you even imagine what it must have been like in the height of the Black Plague era with rats, lice, fleas and everything else and have no real way of dealing with it? That was one of my first thoughts when I saw them hoppin' around, I guess it's the RN in me :)

Bud: Thanks for asking about my trial, it was rescheduled for April 24th, and 25th. My ex's lawyer is trying to get all of the evidence of his pedophilia thrown out on the basis that his case was expunged. As of right now the lawyers are fighting it out and no one has gotten anywhere. I'm still supposed to be reviewed by family services, but they claim to be backed up (which I'm sure they are). They haven't even opened my case yet. I'm praying that my case goes to trial in April because 1) my daughter just turned 11 years old and this case needs to be settled and 2) I don't know if I can wait another six months for a court day. I guess I don't really have a choice. I have a feeling that we'll be at a stand-still and then everything will happen at once. Meanwhile though, my ex is constantly at the house where my daughter and niece live and is legally able to be with children unsupervised. I guess that's the worse part of the whole thing, kids are at risk and even today people and government find it easier to just pretend that all of this just isn't happening.

But again, thanks for asking, and thanks for everyone's suggestions. I've decided to go for the flea dip instead of the collar, I'm allergic to a lot of jewlery :)

painterZ
  7. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

YUCK!!!!! GROSSSSSS!!!!!

I have heebeegeebees!

I do NOT think YOU are gross...just the situation....EEEEWWWWWwwwwww!

I am so glad you are deloused (or your chair is)...Are you constantly paranoid now? I would be itching all over...as a matter of fact I AM itching all over!

If I ever get fleas in my house I am doomed! 4 indoor cats and a very thick long furred dog! Not to mention a pretty hairy husband! LOL

Joann
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

It is important to vacumn alot and put a flea collar in your vacumn bag to kill the fleas you pick up. There can be flea eggs in the carpet.
  9. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

I'm gettin me a flea collar!

Joann
  10. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I think its just dry winter skin that's bothering me, but, yes...I'm paranoid.

PVlady: I didn't know about the flea collar in the vaccuum. I have an early morning store run planned for tomorrow :)

It's freezing and windy today and I opened my windows until I had blue feet. I don't know if that'll do anything but thought I'd give it a try.

painterZ
  11. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I think its just dry winter skin that's bothering me, but, yes...I'm paranoid.

PVlady: I didn't know about the flea collar in the vaccuum. I have an early morning store run planned for tomorrow :)

It's freezing and windy today and I opened my windows until I had blue feet. I don't know if that'll do anything but thought I'd give it a try.

painterZ