Effects of traveling for PWC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blatherskite, Oct 23, 2002.

1. blatherskite

blatherskite New Member

I'm new to this site, so please bear with me. I turned 44 this summer and have been disabled for over 15yrs., but illness goes back to when I was a child as insidious onset. I've been in a wheelchair for over a year after continual problems, then told of deteriorated carilage behind knee caps. When you're diagnosed with Mono 10 times, you realize something else is going on. I'm interested in receiving feedback of effects, if any, those with CFIDS have experienced when traveling by car over a
    long distance. This trip took place this summer, and it's been nearly 3 months since returned, and just now being able to get up for small time. The CFIDS is my worst with head symptoms. I still can't read since this trip. There were other factors involved when arrived in CA, which caused more stress and not recuperate time from trip. It was over 2000 miles; 6-8hrs/day/5 or more days of traveling? We were gone for 6 weeks, and over 2 of that was the traveling. The vibration in van was horrible. I've not found any literature among my vast books, etc. I was founder of first support group for CFIDS in this area, but had to give that up. The stops at night were not enough, and I was put into a postion of either going by road or not at all, and I didn't want to spoil trip for my sons. I could've just flown myself, but that wasn't an option. I've been in hospital since got back and I hate the hospitals. I just needed some area of finding where others had it as bad as I did. My friends and family kept stressing that I'd not been on a trip like that and even traveling shorter time, I have to crash for a few before going on. That wasn't an option. I had pillows, etc. but my experience was different than what I've had replies from. I wanted to find some documentation but don't feel like looking through all my vast material. I edited it so maybe will be more explanatory. The brain is still really bad. Thank You! [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2002]
  2. blatherskite

blatherskite New Member

I'm new to this site, so please bear with me. I turned 44 this summer and have been disabled for over 15yrs., but illness goes back to when I was a child as insidious onset. I've been in a wheelchair for over a year after continual problems, then told of deteriorated carilage behind knee caps. When you're diagnosed with Mono 10 times, you realize something else is going on. I'm interested in receiving feedback of effects, if any, those with CFIDS have experienced when traveling by car over a
    long distance. This trip took place this summer, and it's been nearly 3 months since returned, and just now being able to get up for small time. The CFIDS is my worst with head symptoms. I still can't read since this trip. There were other factors involved when arrived in CA, which caused more stress and not recuperate time from trip. It was over 2000 miles; 6-8hrs/day/5 or more days of traveling? We were gone for 6 weeks, and over 2 of that was the traveling. The vibration in van was horrible. I've not found any literature among my vast books, etc. I was founder of first support group for CFIDS in this area, but had to give that up. The stops at night were not enough, and I was put into a postion of either going by road or not at all, and I didn't want to spoil trip for my sons. I could've just flown myself, but that wasn't an option. I've been in hospital since got back and I hate the hospitals. I just needed some area of finding where others had it as bad as I did. My friends and family kept stressing that I'd not been on a trip like that and even traveling shorter time, I have to crash for a few before going on. That wasn't an option. I had pillows, etc. but my experience was different than what I've had replies from. I wanted to find some documentation but don't feel like looking through all my vast material. I edited it so maybe will be more explanatory. The brain is still really bad. Thank You! [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2002]
  3. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

My hubby and I will be driving 1400 miles at Christmas time. It is going to be hard for me to stay in one position practically for that whole trip.

Last time we did it, I made sure I had lots of pillows in the car, and a blanket. We stopped every few hours so I could get out and stretch. I took pain relievers throughout the course of the trip as well(advil), to try and keep matters from getting worse.

I packed a heating pad to use once we stopped for the night.

We stopped overnite at a hotel that had a sauna and jacuzzi tub. That was a God send, because, believe me, I really needed it. I took Excedrin PM that night, as well, because I usually do not sleep too great anyway, but in hotels it tends to be worse.

Try to make yourself as comfortable as you can. Have a nice trip!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2002]
  4. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

Hello,
    First, know that it WILL take a toll on your body. But, if you use pillows, stop often and stretch, take your pain medicine or muscle relaxers, it can be done. I also use those THermacare wraps. They are moist heating pads that last 8 hours. Or you could buy a moist heating pad and stop at truck stops or convenient stores that have a microwave and warm it up. After I travel (2 days is the longest I have done it, 8-10 hours a day), I am quite sore for awhile, but before I did the above suggestions, I literally would not be able to move for days.
    Have a good, safe trip!
    Duff
  5. OneOfSix

OneOfSix New Member

Many people with CFIDS suffer from sensory overload. All the noise and motion while driving was a real problem for my senses. Too much information for my brain to process. I had to use ear plugs and shield my eyes.

Hope this idea helps.
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

travel to Ocracoke Island every few months and when we go, we take his big Ford truck instead of our comfortable car, so that we can four-wheel drive on the beach. The eight hour drive there nearly kills my back, bottom and knees. The seats don't go back enuff for my long legs and I can't come close to reclining. I put my feet up on the dashboard off and on and then I can hardly walk when I get out for a rest break. I have to take lots and lots of muscle relaxants and analgesics before, during and after the ride. If I didn't LOVE the island SO much, I wouldn't put myself through this LONG ride, but it is heaven on earth for me and I get LOTS of rest while I'm there. Taking the car isn't really an option 'cause we need the four-wheel drive.
    Traveling is really hard on people with our types of pain....
    BTW, I've had continuous positive Monospot tests since 1986! No sore throats (have NEVER experienced ONE in my life) but the fatique and pallor are so like Mono.
    I also have a lot more dizziness during a trip and the temp fluctuations with the air conditioner/ heater make my nose all stuffy. All in all, I hate trips, but I LOVE this destination, so I persist.....for now!
    Love,
    Kady
  7. crickett

crickett New Member

Ditto. Our annnual trip takes about 11 hours, but not all windshield time. we stop so I can try and move. Even after only and hour in the car I get soooo stiff. I take my Vicodin and flexeril ( the doc said for severe pain I could take flexeril with the VIcodin) , but I'm afraid of being so doped up that if I had to take over driving, I couldn't!
    Several years ago I found a heating pad for the car that plugs into the cigaret lighter. It helps alot.

[ advertisement ]