Effexor and high cholesterol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lmmillion, Nov 21, 2005.

1. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I had my yearly physical today. The Dr.went over my bloodwork and told me my cholesterol was too high. I pointed out to her that I had read some info on Effexor and a correlation with it's use and high cholesterol. She was adament that this was just not true. I asked her to look it up in her drug reference guide. Well, she did. She was reading it and said "no, there's nothing about that here." Then, she got a funny look on her face and said "oh, you're right." It stated that the long term use of Effexor has been associated with increased cholesterol levels.She prescribes a ton of Effexor and had no idea this was a risk.

I am continuously having to tell my Dr. about things related to medicines she's prescribed for me. More than once she's been incorrect.I know I should seek out a different physician, but she is the one who handles all of my disability paperwork. I'm afraid if I switch Dr.'s before my next review, I might mess up my case.

Most of us already know by now that we have to be our own physicians, so to speak, because some of them know diddly about our condition and the meds they give us. Isn't this a sad state of affairs?
  2. loriofwindsor

loriofwindsor New Member

Thank you so much for this information. I am on effexor and have high cholesterol so this is really good to know. Thanks for sharing...if it weren't for people sharing this stuff on this site it would be so hard to keep up with all the information we need to know since our doctors can't remember all this stuff either.

Lori
  3. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I have always had high cholesterol, even when I was a vegetarian for 14 years. I take Effexor, probably not a good thing.

We have to read up on our meds. Our doctors and pharmicists don't keep up. I have found inaccuracies with medication information in conversation with both. We MUST be our own advocates!
  4. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

hi thanks for the warning. I take it to and i have high blood presure. havent had my cholesterol check for a long time,but the one time i did it was high. Ill have to bring this up at my next doc appointment.
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

My cholesterol is just above the 200 total limit...Good is 51 and bad is 167 (218)...so, if it's only that, which I thought was not enough to worry about, and I'm on Effexor, which is helping me, I'm really not going to worry. So, hooray.

I'm so glad I decided to fight the docs on the statin drugs...just not going to take them, period.

Thanks for the info!

Sue
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Stick with the doctor you have. At least she listens to you!

Hugzz!

Greenbean

[ advertisement ]