Effexor er are you taking it???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Sep 9, 2009.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Please answer need some help with the med and my son right now. I know there are a lot out there that take this med and it helps them.
    Please answer
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

I have taken Effexor XR

What is your question?
  3. hensue

hensue New Member

he is on 100 mg zoloft and now the physciatrist has put him on 37.5 mg generic effexor er
    today 75mg. effexor and 100 mg zoloft. He has social phobia severely.
    I did not think you could take these two drugs at the same time.
    I was just thinking about the serotonin syndrome.

How was your expierence on effexor ? His anxiety is off the chart we are hoping he is going to be able to go to work again one day.
    He starts cbt therapy in a couple of weeks.
    Thanks I would appreciate any advice. He takes them at night they make him extremely tired.
    Take care
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

Yes I took less than 37.5 mg of Effexor (don't ask)

The first week on it,, I was very panicked stricken. After that, the panic and anxiety subsided, but it was really bad.

Some of the side effects were fast heart rate, and upset stomach.

If you are concerned about the two antidepressants, why don't you call your pharmacist and talk to him/her? Sometimes they are VERY helpful

Maybe express your concerns to the psychiatrist too??

I know people have said that they take 2 different antidepressants in one day, but you may what to be absolutely sure.

Good luck = ps - I didn't do well on the Zoloft, Effexor is really the only antidepressant that I can tolerate
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've been taking this medication for about 6 years with no problems....

My first question is how old is your son? What is his diagnosis?

We've been dealing with our mentally ill daughter for about 6 years now and she's been on many, many medications and combos of meds.

After recently finishing her 9th hospitalization, she has now been properly diagnosed and medicated and the difference in her is amazing, truly a blessing and a gift. This was a month long hospitalization.

If the meds and dx are wrong, symptoms will not only stay but could possibly worsen. Pay careful attention to this and the signs....anxiety and depression are two totally different things so try to find out exactly what is going on...

6. tgrace

tgrace New Member

I was on this medication for several years with no adverse effects. The only thing it helped me with was stabilizing my mood, and many other medications that I have tried through the years did the same thing. I have been on Cymbalta, Citalopram (Celexa), and Prozac and they all did exactly the same thing for me that the Effexor XR did. I can honestly say that none of them relieved my depression, lack of energy, pain, or other distressing symptoms. They ONLY stabilized my mood so that I didn't get angry at every little thing.

To date I have not found a good solution to my Fibromyalgia symptoms and I have tried many, many medications, and combinations of medications. I pray that your situation will be resolved well, and in a timely manner.

Lots of Love and Gentle Hugs...Tara
  7. hensue

hensue New Member

That is his diagnosis and when I read about it sounds just like him.
    he knows rationally he is not thinking right but his brain tells him other wise.
    he has an abnormal fear of being judged by everyone anytime even walking his dog around the block.
    he has always been extremly shy and tender hearted he does not drink or smoke. He has a new daughter who is 8 months old. He has no job right now because of all this anxiety.

I did take him to a restuarant but he could not go tho the salad bar. To many eyes watching and we went into a crowded carters outlet and he had to leave he thought everyone was staring at him.
    When he thinks like that he shakes and his brain can think of nothing else not the task on hand.
    Just the fear and anxiety he got so bad after a job in MN this was right after the baby was born whom he loves. He almost committed suicide.
    By hanging he said he did not want to live like that any more.

The physc told me he is in a panic state of mind from the time he gets up till the time he goes to bed.
    No one would want to live like that.
    He is going to a physciatrist and just got him to a physcologist who will start cbt in a week and a half.
    he fits the social phobia criteria so i am assuming this is what is wrong with him.
    You may want to share some things with me.
    I am glad your daughter is ok what is wrong with her? If you do not mind me asking.

I also wonder does he need to be checked physicallly again all the ad have put enormous weight on him. Does he have hypoglycemia or low testosterone?? millions of things.
    His Gp says he is fine but of course I am sure he has not checked for all these things.
    He does not meet new people he does not know what to say.
    will not answer phone etc.
    Thank you and please help me maybe we are going down the wrong road.
    Take care
  8. hensue

hensue New Member

His wife loves that so I see that as a plus she says he has been cleaning house going to the gym taking care of yard and baby.
    So what am I exactly suppose to look for I ask him questions all the time.
    He just went bankrupt him not his wife she is very critical all the time.
    Cusses like a sailor but he says she is his soul mate I hope they can stay together.
    Thank you everyone i would take any input I know we are not physcs but we have done a lot of research all of us. of the body and mind.
    Take care
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

My daughter has Borderline Personality Disorder and SchizoEffective Disorder/depression too. Not a good combo at all....

She used to have severe anxiety as well, would call me from places and not know what to do and need me to come pick her up. Those symptoms are gone now that she's properly medicated for her true condition. And this has only been for a few months now.

They've treated her for Bi-Polar but those meds made her worse too, seems like anything they did for the past 5 years always made her worse. She also gained over 100 pounds from being on Seroquel but now that they've switched her to Seroquel XR, she's doing fine and losing weight too.

You're actually pointing at some of the things I was mentioning too. If they're treating anxiety with AD's but not getting to the cause of the anxiety or if it could be another mental condition/or even medication causing the anxiety then something needs to be done.

I do now remember his story and that he's an adult so no, you can't watch him all the time and look for signs, makes it that much harder.

We've been through 6 years of hell, 9 hospitalizations and we finally have the answers we've been looking for and a daughter who's functioning (in baby steps) much more normally now. She can even make phone calls and take care of business now too.

Prior to the last hospitalization in a German hospital, her docs just added more meds to treat the symptoms and what she was going through. Big Mistake.....the German doc said she was on a horrible cocktail of medications, cleaned them up, kept her for a month while he did so and dx her properly......FINALLY!

She's now on Depakote for a mood stabalizer and Seroquel XR at night but that's it! She was previously on 2 AD's as well, yet we feared for her life daily.

She also became Hypothyroid from being on the Seroquel so she takes medication for that too. Low Iron...same.

I'm just trying to give you hope here.....with the right doc, proper medication things can get better so have him keep trying. He shouldn't be living in such a panic daily. That's no way to live as I'm sure he's mentioned.

10. hensue

hensue New Member

That gives me hope please what do I do?? Something is not right, you are in another country?
    Where do I go from here another doc?
    You are my only sunshine about this but I am not giving up.
    Please write me back
    thanks so much
  11. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have been on effexor since 2006 and it really gave me back my life. As well as helping with the pain, it eliminated my panic attacks. I was getting to the point where I had a hard time even going to the mailbox due to panic.

However, I am trying to wean off of it now, as I have gained about 30 lbs over the last 3 years.

If my panic and anxiety come back I will definitely keep taking it. I decided I would rather be a chubby girl that can function, than a skinny one that can't get out of bed!

Good Luck!
    Sue in Ontario