EFFEXOR IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR ME

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Jun 9, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Oh my goodness! It is my third week into trying to switch from Paxil to Effexor XR and this is the pits! I am wired to the point where I feel like I am about to crawl out of my skin and can hardly sleep at ALL at night!! I know this is more than the withdrawal from Paxil, because I have done that before. This is the pitts! I feel worse than before. I would rather be depressed and cry all day than feel like this.

I went to the psych today and tried to explain all this to him and he was less than sympathetic. He was like, "You're just going to have to push through it" and "it's not life-threatening or anything that's going to hurt you". GRRRR! I'm sure the families of people who have committed suicide on these darn drugs would not agree that it is not life threatening! I don't know if I will even go back to this guy.

I am going off of this and back to Paxil ASAP. Pray I even back out soon.

Has anyone else had this effect? I have a friend who does well on Paxil that said when she tried Welbutrin she had the same reaction (and I think Effexor and Welbutrin are similar).

Thanks,
    julie
  2. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I agree 100%. I have only been on it less than 3 weeks, and just going down on the dose the last few days in an effort to stop it, I am having withdrawal. It is a nightmare. Trying to take care of my kids and deal with FM on top of this is a nightmare. What was I thinking trusting this doctor?
  4. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I felt like I was on amphetamine's when I was trying to take Effexor, really wired and insomnia, my muscles tensed because I could not relax. My psy doc told me to get off of it, I don't think you should stay on it. Was the Paxil not working for you? I hope you can find a more sympathetic doctor.

Laura
  5. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Thank you! I am DEFINITELY getting off of it. I just wanted to go down to the lowest dose for 2-3 days and then quit in an effort to reduce the withdrawal. This is my second day at 37.5. I may do one more day at that or just quit. My stupid psych (only been to him twice, probably not going back) thought I should stay on it and thinks my symptoms are only from cutting back the Paxil. I told him repeatedly that I have cut back my Paxil numerous times over the years and this is NOT Paxil withdrawal. We know more about this stuff than they do!!

I was trying to switch because Paxil didn't seem to be working for my depression anymore, but I think my problem is very much situational depression to due the constant severe pain and sleeplessness and fatigue I've experienced the last year and not being able to get a diagnosis! Of course I'm depressed. I was desperate and hoping this would help me, but once again, I've made a terrible mistake.

I've made so many mistakes this last year trying to deal with this DD...I guess that's normal though... alot of trial and error.

Edited to add: YES, my muscle tightness and spasms have gotten so much worse on the Effexor!! And I've gone from sleeping poorly to barely sleeping at all. How can this possibly be good for FM??[This Message was Edited on 06/11/2006]
  6. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Julie,

Oh my gosh, I too was on Effexor about 6 months ago and had the same symptoms! My doc put me back on Zoloft and it's MUCH better! I am hoping to start on Cymbalta as soon as I can get it approved thru my insurance!

Did your doc put you on an antianxiety med like Zaanax or Clonopin? If so, that would probably make you feel better right now.

Hope you feel better very,very soon!
    Hugs, Julie

P.S. I responded to you post (Hi Julie!) It should be near the top of the board!
  7. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

8. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

Julie,

Sorry I don't have any advice or personal experience with effexor but I have taken paxil CR for about 4 years now. I've tried to get off of it 2 times since then, once after my gastric bypass surgery when I couldn't swallow pills and can't crush the paxil CR... went to first liquid regular paxil, then to lexapro. Nothing else worked for me and made me much worse. I know paxil CR isn't the best choice for everyone, but for me, it works. The neurologist says it can make restless legs worse and not the best for loosing weight, but I take my requip and my restless legs are under control and my depression and anxiety are under control. These antidepressants are both dangerous and livesavers. Coming off of them as you know is scary. I've learned that the hard way. I'm sticking to what works for me and pray it always does work. What kind of paxil do you take if you mind my asking?

I hope you feel better soon.

Patty
  9. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

My husband and our doctor both take the effexor XR and have had wonderful results from it. I don't know if it's harder to switch or if it's just the paxil that is a nightmare coming off of, or if it's just the simple fact that effexor doesn't work with everyone.

Take care,
    Patty
  10. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

You should definitely ask for something like xanax, ativan or klonapin to help with the withdrawls... helps so much.

Patty
  11. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

No matter what , it does not seem to be working for you .

I have also had good experience w/ zoloft and prozac.
    You can get prozac generic now.
  12. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

I had terrible anexity fromit and my doc sent mr[e to a shrink for anexity and kept me on EFF. She immediatley took me off eff and I felt ber=tter in a few days.. Suppose to wean off.

Dolfenn
  13. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

It was the best for me while it worked -- no antidepressant works for long for me -- but some people really can't tolerate it at all.

Hope you find something that helps.
  14. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Oh I am having terrible panic attacks now!! This is horrible! I have done the 37.5 (smallest dose) the last 2 days and even that is too much. I will not even take another dose. I have not had a panic attack in over 6 YEARS, I am so mad to have done this to myself. No, I am so mad at this stupid doctor for giving a patient with a history of SEVERE PANIC ATTACKS this stupid drug!!!

I am going to have to call someone to get some zanax or something but I don't know who to call. I do not trust this new psych. Maybe my primary care doctor, as he is the one who sent me to the psych in the first place. Let him know what a mistake he made. LOL.

This is awful. My dh has to work out of town tonight and I will be alone with the kids. Please, please pray for me.

I am sure I will be on here alot tonight, as I probably won't sleep.
  15. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I was an Advanced Nurse Practitioner and the information, when they put me on Effexor never explained anything about withdrawal. I hate the stuff and wanted off it, and my Psychiatrist said he wanted me to try Wellbutrin.

I asked why, and he said because he liked it. I said, well, Wellbutrin works totally differently from Effexor and a friend of mine had RAGE ON IT.

He then said, well let's go up on the dose of it, and I said, no.

Why not Cymbalta? He said no, that the reports of Cymbalta being better for FM WAS A FAIRY TALE. I ASKED HIM WHAT FAIRY TOLD HIM THAT.

He just has OPPOSITIONAL BEHAVIOR AND A GOD COMPLEX, AND JUST WANTS PATIENTS TO BE GOOD LITTLE ZOMBIES AND NOT HAVE ANY INPUT.
  16. libra55

libra55 New Member

I too hated Effexor. It was the worst drug I ever went on. I had brain zaps and it was awful to withdraw from. I shut myself in my bedroom pulled down the shades, had some good spring water with me and just went through the withdrawals. never had symptoms like that before and hope never again.

Lexapro was a bad one too IMHO. don't do well on those SSRIs but everybody's different.

Michelle
  17. Bambi

Bambi New Member

therapy works as well as these drugs do anyway. WHY won't these insurance companies pay more (or at all) for regular theapy any more? I guess it's just "easier" for them to pay for a pill and forget it. I have heard few people say they did anything for their pain either.

I had a bad depression when my dad died and went on Prozac. It worked fine and I had no apparent side effects for a long time. Then I had a rare side effect develop where it made my Asthma worse. SO I stopped it. That was before all this weaning off advise was given. I didn't have any problems getting off of it. Now I take Trazadone which does zero for any depression I've had, but it does let me sleep well with no after effects.
  18. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I remember trying to find an anti-depressant that worked for me. It took almost a year. I was miserable. Some days I'd be wired, other days I went to work and laid my head on my desk like a zombie.

I'm on 300mg per day, BUT...I was going to talk to my CRNP this week about getting off the Effexor XR. Now after reading some of these posts I don't know what to do.
    I also take 300mg Lamictal per day.

I've been moody, irritable, unable to tolerate stupid people, depressed, exhausted, and just not my normal self.

I was thinking of getting off it because it may be causing a MISERABLE side effect that I can hardly live with anymore...excessive sweating!!! Head and hair soaked kind of sweating, just from moving about.

Good luck with everything, and no...I wouldn't go back to that psych doctor either!

Lotsa luv!
    CockatooMom
    "E"
  19. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Withdrawal from Effexor was the worst I have ever felt. It took about a month and I was only taking 37.5.

Since starting 30mg of Cymbalta I feel like I almost have my life back. I feel so much better and the pain is at least 1/2 what it was on nothing. I didn't have any reduction of pain with Effexor and I tried it for 18 months. Withdrawal caused palpitations, pingy head, and anxiety attacks. It was something else!!

My daughter, against my advise, started taking Effexor, she experiences the same pingy head that I would get if I didn't take the dose exactly the same time each day.
  20. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

it doesn't seem to really be helping me at all. I KNOW it is contributing to my not sleeping at night, thats for sure! But of course, during the day I am just as fatigued as ever. I want to get off of it too, but don't know what to try next. Cymbalta isn't approved in Canada yet.
    My hubby suffers from depression, and effexor has been a God send for him. He has to take a very high dose, but he is basically stabalized now, and feels like a normal person should feel like, (can't remember how THAT feels) but it is sorta interfering with his sleep too, and he sweats like a pig now! He sits on the couch just dripping!