Effexor Side-Effects Anyone???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dizzidally, Dec 1, 2005.

1. dizzidally

dizzidally New Member

Anyone been or using effexor? Have you experienced any dramatic side-effects. Does anyone find it has helped? Due to start taking myself on Monday evening.
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have been very happy with this drug. Side effects? weight gain and very reduced sexual drive.

But, it has helped my everyday life immensely. I am now finding I'm able to lose some weight, but sex? Nothing.

However, the benefits outweigh the side effects for both my husband and myself. I has helped the depression, migraines, etc. It actually started working almost at once, so I don't know...it just works for me.

HOpe you find it working for you.

Sue
  3. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

This to me saved my life from much crying from pain also noticed a lower sexual drive . how ever that part for me has got better..=) UM i have hurd of some people having a very hard time getting off it though. hope this helps tc
  4. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

oh and i never noticed any weight gain weight loss maybe .
    Im on effexor xr 7.5 mg not sure if there diff kinds. also nortriptylin 10mg
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2005]
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I had tried every SSRI out there that didn't work, but Effexor was like turning a light on in my brain.

Unfortunately, like "all" stimulants, it affected my stomach so bad that I had to stop.

I'm so tempted to try again, as it felt so good.

LIGHT**********carole
  6. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

So far, Effexor has been very good to me. I've been on it about 5 weeks (now taking 150 mgs) --- only negative side effect was a little bit of jitters every time we up the dosage.

I sleep much better on it, wake up feeling rested for once! I have more energy in general, too. Also, haven't had a migraine since I went on it -- that may or may not just be pure coincidence, but I was getting a lot before.

Oh, and I've lost almost 10 lbs, because I'm just not nearly as hungry as before (not sick, just less appetite, which is a good thing in my case!)

My overall pain levels haven't decreased much, if at all, but I'm still not up to the 225 mgs where it is supposed to really help with pain.

In terms of mood, I think it has helped with the anxiety. I wasn't depressed before, so can't help on that front.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it, and hope it keeps working for me.
  7. mahx

mahx New Member

i had tried every anti dep--Effexor was the only one that ever helped me---it was great. After 2 yrs--it began to lose its effectiveness---doc weaned off slowly for a month---after 5 days of completely being off---i went into a psychotic epidode---i still have flashbacks---that was the first weekend of May 05. It was the worst experience of my life. Later the doc told me ther was a med she could have given to help me out---also found out Benedryl would have helped. Anyway it is good stuff---just be careful if you have to go off of it.
  8. millennia

millennia New Member

I gained about 50 pounds, in just a few months. I've been off of it for over a year and haven't been able to lose it. But that was nothing. Effexor has horrible withdrawal symptoms, but for my body, withdrawal symptoms hit even if I was only an hour or so late taking it. If I over slept or for some other reason didn't manage to take it exactly on time. I would end up throwing up and crying hysterically for hours and hours. And it would feel like someone was zapping my head with electricity. I lived in fear of the medicine. My life was controlled by making sure that I took it on time. I know it works well for some people, but part of me wants to scream don't try this no matter what!!! But for all I know it may be the one thing that will help you. Just be cautious.
  9. wangotango

wangotango New Member

i was on effexor a couple of years ago and had some weird side eff, i was married then and if my wife would just ask me a simple question i would cry (funny now looking back), the other one was my sex drive increased a lot, it was a bad deal. this only lasted about a week and then the only thing i can remember having after that was elavated blood pressure and i sweat a lot . i was on it for a couple of years. good luck bill
  10. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

any type of opiate drug for pain (like morphene) - I found that I had some really strange side effects on various psych. meds while taking morphene. Range for me was auditory and visual hallucinations, wicked migraines, etc.

Every person has a different metabolism so there is obviously no one drug works for all. I'm the one who had horrific problems with Cymbalta (see my post from 11/30), yet a lot of people had no problems.

Just watch yourself for any "strange" reactions once you begin the med and as time goes on.

Good luck!
    Hugs,
    sunshine8957
  11. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I'm still reading his book "The Edge Effect", which is all about brain chemistry, and how to balance the symptoms of the out of balance chemicals which he believes affects all bodily health issues.

I found it interesting that when you figure out (there's a questionnaire in it) what your deficiencies are:

e.g. dopamine/GABA/Acetylcholine/Serotonin

he suggests different depression treatments.

For Dopamine, he recommended effexor, wellbutrin, tyrosine, rhodiola herb

For GABA: Progesterone

For Acetylchloline: Bio-identical (natural) estrogen; tyrosine; rhodiola, progesterone

For Serotonin: paxil; zoloft; prozac; celexa

Interesting perspective I thought. He then goes on to talk about supplements, diet, lifestyle, exercise, etc., etc. that support your deficiencies.

This book was just written last year, and he has been associated w/Yale, Harvard & the Princeton Brain Bio Center.

There's so much info in this book, having a hard time putting it down!!

LIGHT**********carole
  12. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I know it's strange to get mixed opinions, but I LOVE how effexor helped me in the beginning. I did have sweating and high blood pressure right off the bat as a side effect, but lots of feel good energy and nothing seemed to get me "down" terribly as before. I did have to be put on b/p meds cause it raised my b/p.....then

a nurse to an allergist of mine warned me of some other side effects that were horrible in which I had just begun having....the shocking or feeling of electrical currents going thru my head........and then I began to notice that if I didn't take on time or missed a day I would get other "strange" sensations, like dizzy but more "swirling" and tingling in my head.

So I talked with my doc about taking me off and switching me to another which he did cold turkey, said I would not have withdrawals by going immediately to another! Boy, was he wrong! Like the above postings, the withdrawals are hell. I thought I was dying, literally. I could not move my legs, I cried non stop and had horrible panic attacks. I went right back on it! Sorry, but I couldn't deal with those horrible withdrawals. So I am on it for life! I would love to quit it if I could and have no withdrawals, but I have heard since that it is impossible! Even the post earlier said her doc slowly weaned her and she still had an episode....so in having said all that...

My opinion would be that I would not want to go on a drug that had that many side effects. But everybody has to do what works for them. I would love to get off it myself.
  13. roseyp

roseyp New Member

Hey everyone - I am new here - and just saw this post on Effexor and had to add my experience with it.

First of all - it is costly -
    Second - it did help me tremendously in the beginning - but life is life and I still am very sad much of the time
    Thrid - I have tried to wean myself off of this drug, however, I cannot. Perhaps with the help of my doctor it would be achievable - but thoughts of suicide are just not what I need in my life right now - so on it I stay.

I have had no physcial side effects - but please note that I am a widow and since you cannot have sex with a husband who is in Heaven - I cannot comment on the decreased sex drive

Before going on this drug I would come home from work and literally lay on the couch and mentally convince myself that I could not take my life for such and such time - - so the kids would not be as traumatized. Let me add I lost my husband to suicide - I know the trauma it causes - - I know it sounds like madness - but I was all that and more before going on the drug. I lost my parents & husband in 2 years time - my Daddy and husband within 2 months of each other. Needless to say - I've been a mess - but doing my best to hold on to life and not let it all get me so far down that I cannot get up.

Effexor was like a hand helping me up. I've thought after all this time 2.5 years of being on Effexor that I should be able to go off of it - - but I still have lots of grieving going on - - and the physical seems to be overtaking me (FM and CFS)

I've been SO against medication for so much of my life - it's hard to believe I take meds now - - life changes things!

I wish you all the best.

Mary Rose
  14. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

I did have side effects. I will never, ever take this drug again. I seriously considered running out into traffic while trying to get off this stuff the first time. I was stupid enough to give it another go, and like others have said, if I even took it late, my teeth would start buzzing, shocking sensations would shoot down my arms, etc, etc. It wasn't worth it. BUT I never gained weight with it or any other typical side effect.
  15. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I took Effexor XR and it seemed to work with pretty much no side effects. My aunt takes it as well for serious depression and it works wonderful for her, she says she feels like herself again instead of a train wreck.

But getting off of it IS Terrible! I actually ended up using Prozac for the weeks I was getting off of Effexor XR. I was on the Effexor for pain but the Prozac saved me when getting off of it. The reason I stopped the Effexor was because anti-depressants in general make my head "weird". They distort my thoughts and I am very very sensitive to this type of drug.

But it seems to work for what it's needed and the only bad thing I've ever heard or experienced was the terrible withdrawal (and I was only on it for a few months). So please be very aware of the withdrawal. It was horrible.

shananegans