Effexor Update Positive Story

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Jun 16, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Hi everyone

After almost 4 weeks on Effexor, I feel that I have become a new person. My family has commented, and I am finally getting out of the house.

My son said I have light in my eyes again. My pain has dulled.

For months, I had practically gone from bed to couch, only at the computer long enough to get some work done to pay my bills. Feeling sorry for myself and wondering what is the use of living with the pain and anxiety.

It has not been an easy journey. For the first 2 weeks I was literally in bed almost everyday with the nausea and other side effects. The benzos helped trememdously with this.

I am now on 75 mg once a day. Yesterday, I weeded my small backyard. I am a little sore today, but not bed ridden and exhausted as I would have been before. (Heck I would not have even attempted it a month ago).

I understand that at some point the withdrawal will be an issue and I really don't like to be dependant on medication, but for now this has been the best thing I have done.

I also understand that it is not for everyone, but for others, it really helps to bring some light back into life.

Let me also say thanks to those who posted with encouragement in the early days.

God Bless,
    Sue in Ontario
  2. jeanann

jeanann New Member

I take 225mg daily and it does help a little with the pain for me. I did go off of it and went back on welbutrin for about a year. When I went off of it I just followed doctors directions and I had no problems like I have heard.

If it wearnt for the meds I take I would not be able to live any kind of life. I mostly live pretty normal...I do have pain and days like today with the weather and barametric pressure it is worse.

I am glad you are getting about more it makes us feel so much better when we can participate in our lives....

Take it slow....and enjoy...

Jean Ann
  3. rainforest

rainforest New Member

I have been taking Effexor for a long time. I am currently taking 225 mg a day. It absolutely changed my life. Effexor does not necessarily help with the FM pain but it does hold my CFS at bay for the most part. Before Effexor, my life was miserable, I hated what was happening to my family and I was looking at having to give up my career because I was too tired to keep my focus. I have been able to keep working because of Effexor (and a boss and coworkers who very supportive). I have my life back. The most important thing I have found is to be sure to take Effexor the same time everyday and not miss a dose. It seems to metabolize out of the body very quickly so withdrawal symptoms start within 12 hours, for me at least.

Enjoy your renewed life!
    Robin
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2006]
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

How wonderful that you're getting some relief from your illness. Just when we think it's impossible.......

Happy hugs,
    Marta
  5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

bumpity....
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I am glad you are doing well.

I would love to switch to Cymbalta, as I think the Effexor isn't working and the problems if you miss a dose is too great.

My doc, however, refuses to switch me.

I am going to ask my FM doctor to switch me.

However, I am very happy that it is helping you.
  7. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I appreciate all of your replies, and take them all into consideration.

I will continue to update on my journey.

Thanks again,

Sue in Ontario
  8. hambys97

hambys97 New Member

I just wanted to share that I have been taking Effexor 150 mg once daily for more than 2 years now. I was only recently diagnosed with Fibro approx. 3 months ago, so I do not know if it helps with the pain or not. I do know that when I miss a dose, the side effects are pretty extreme, for me at least. Just be careful not to miss. I had extreme dizziness, nausea, migraine, and extreme fatique. But when taken regularly I know they make my mood much better.
    You could ask my hubby about it too. He definitely knows when I haven't taken my meds...LOL!

Angela
  9. mjf

mjf New Member

I also am on effexor and it does really help with the pain.
    The only really side effect that I have is that I have gained
    about 30lbs from it. I am on 75mg daily which I take at night and this helps with sleeping.
    Has anyone else had problem with the weight gain from the effexor? Told the Dr that I would soon have to wear my pjs to work, beacause all my cloths are getting to tight, and I can't stand anything tight against my skin....
    Whats a girl to do.......
    mjf
  10. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    I have taken 300 mg of effexor for close to 3 years now. I think it has helped me a great deal with depression.

I used to not be able to go a day without crying, now I rarely do. I don't know what I'd have done without it. I am glad you have found some relief with it also!

Take Care!
    Kellyann
  11. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I prayed for you and rejoice that the meds are helping .
    I am also grateful for these meds !
  12. AngelWife26

AngelWife26 New Member

using effexor here. I had been on paxil for the last 4 years for PMDD. When diagnosed with FM we tried upping my doses on the paxil to see if that would help. When I maxed out with no relief the doctor talked to me about effexor. I've been on the effexor for a week now at 75mg. Since we were also weaning me off the paxil I will be getting bumped up to 150mg next week. As of right now, I've noticed slight improvement except for the pain associated with the weather system that just moved into the area. I don't expect much help with those....lol. I'm optimistic that once my body adjusts to the 150mg things will be better. We'll see. My doctor and I are working one issue at a time, so if this works, then we will start working on some of my other smaller issues....hehehehe.

Glad to hear that things are better for you.
    Nadine :)
  13. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

It is encouraging to hear from all of you.

Ann, thanks for the prayers - you are a peach!

MJ, I know lots of people have gained weight, but I have actually lost a few pounds, and I have to take my dose in the morning because it actually keeps me awake!

It always amazes me how different the drugs work for each of us.

I feel truly a new woman at this point. I have been busier, smiling more. Will just take one day at a time.

HUGS

Sue