effexor vs. prozac for muscle/jointpain???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LouiseK, Aug 24, 2006.

1. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Would love to hear your views on effexor vs prozac before I take the plungs. I need itfor anxiey,depression and also BODY PAIN.

What can you tell me???????????????????????

Thanks.
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I've been on Prozac since 1996 for chronic pain of FMS and anxiety. It has worked great for me and I haven't had a problem, except for maybe weight gain? I'm not sure that is from the Prozac, though.

I have not tried Effexor, because the Prozac has worked so well for me. Another thing that works fantastic is the NSAID, Arthrotec aka Voltaren. That takes away 60% of the pain the other meds don't and I am almost pain free except for flares.

I do not have arthritis at all either, but the Arthrotec works great for pain for me, better than pain meds.

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have been on Effexor for years. Used to be before I got sick that once I started feeling better I would just stop taking my Effexor. My doctor would always yell at me cause I would come in and tell her that while driving brick walls would start looking good to me. lol. I never had a problem going on or going off but at that time I was taking it for depression along. Now I'm on it and still depressed and would never even think about going off of it. I'm sorry but this DD causes depression no matter what anyone else says. 2 years of this thing and am not the person I was or want to be. Who wouldn't be depressed. Anyway my vote is for Effexor......SueF
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I agree, to try Prozac instead of Effexor if possible. I read recently many Psyche doctors are not even prescribing Effexor anymore because of the extreme difficulty when stopping it.

This was in the health news section in my internet. Effexor has a very short "half life".
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

but there are more side effects for some people. Every one is different, but my SIL had terrible side effects from effexor. She also gained over 30 lbs in a very short period of time. She is now trying to get off effexor by taking prozac and weaning the effexor. She is having a terrible time with it. It's been over 4 months, and she's still not off effexor, still feeling horrible, and still gaining weight.

I used prozac for over 6 years without problems except for some initial mild side effects that went away after a few weeks. I vote for prozac!
  6. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

is different and not sure what will work, I don't want to keep you from trying a drug that may work great for you but I just wanted to say that I was on Effexor and it did ok, until I tried to quit. Effexor was the hardest medication that I have ever tried to quit I was reduced to opening the pills and taking a few beads at a time thats how low I had to dose down, everyone is different but it is documented that a lot of folks have a lot of trouble coming off of Effexor. As long as you know that in the begining because doctors dont stress withdrawal enough. Try it see if it works but come down slowly if it doesn't.

Hope that helps!
    Blessings,
    Kelly
  7. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have been on effexor for 6 months and my pain is virtually gone. Also my anxiety and panic attacks have pretty much disappeared.

But the first 2 weeks on it were very difficult, nausea and headaches.

I know it is hard to come off of, but my life has dramatically changed for the better. sometimes I forget I have this DD.

Good luck in your decision. Listen to your doctor.

Sue in Ontario