Effexor XL

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DVoit, Nov 7, 2005.

1. DVoit

DVoit New Member

How many of you take this and how many like it. My doctor and I decided that I would stay on it for now going up to 150 mg before trying Cymbala. She says some of her patients do better on Effexor. Thanks. Donna
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

If you do a search on Effexor you will find TONS of posts about it, its side effects, results, etc.

I hated Effexor. I was on it for depression before being diagnosed with fibro and then my dosage was upped to "help with the pain". It didn't really do much for my depression and sure didn't do anything for the pain. All it did do for me was add 50+ pounds in 4 months when my dosage was upped to 225 mg. And coming off was serious hell. It was the worse withdrawals I have ever experienced and I weaned off for about 9 months.

But that's just me, others have had some good results with it.
  3. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

It didn't help me with pain; EffexorXR caused me to have pain and ultimately affected every system in my entire body. I didn't do well with the drug, and it seriously damaged me.

You couldn't get me to go near any of those drugs at this point.
  4. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

quite a bit. I've put on weight, but then again, I put on weight years ago at a time when I wasn't taking any medication. As far as feeling better, I can say that emotionally, I feel way better than before the Effexor. I suffered great depression and anxiety when I first became sick with Fibro.The Effexor made such a difference. I was on 225 mg for quite sometime. Since going on disability, I don't have RX coverage anymore. My Effexor was costing me several hundred a month. I asked my Dr.if we could lower the dose and see how I felt. It certainly saved me a little money by dropping to 150 mg. but I can tell I'm much more emotional these days. I have also been in more pain. My Dr. mentioned switching me to Cymbalta to save money, but I think I will just stick with what's working.It costs me, but I know it makes a huge difference in how I feel.

Just as with any drug, people react differently. I tried many different antidepressants before Effexor and had terrible side effects. With Effexor, I didn't. I also talked to my Dr. about the withdrawals I read about when getting off of it. He tells me that if done slowly and properly, I will not suffer the withdrawal symptoms.
  5. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Lots of people stopped taking Effexor slowly and carefully and still have gotten extremely sick when they tried to stop taking it. Many have never been able to stop taking antidepressants entirely once they start to take Effexor.

I'm still amazed that doctors say that people will have no trouble when they stop taking it. While it is true that some don't have any problems, a quick search on the internet is enough to let anyone know that many thousands of people have very serious problems no matter how slowly or carefully they try to stop taking this drug. It is something that must be taken into consideration before beginning to take Effexor.
  6. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

FYI - I did stop taking Effexor "slowly and properly" and still experienced horrible withdrawals. My doc and I slowly dropped my dosage over a 9 month period and it was still hell!
  7. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I saw my little sister go thru effexor withdrawls and it was not pretty. I felt so bad for her but yet i know it works for so many people. I have been on cymbalta 60mgs for about 3 months and I hate to say that I feel worse this week than when I started it . I wonder if a drug can lose its good effects so quickly. not crazy about the rheum. who prescribed it ..going to find a new one(again)