Effexor ---

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dara, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

I know a lot of people here have not had good luck with Effexor. But, I have to tell you it has truly been a godsend to me. I am one of the one's who go to bed at night so exhausted but even with a sleeping pill I would still be awake tossing & turning and thinking about everything in the world for up to 3, 4, hours or longer. When I was working there were times I was still awake at 5:00am when the alarm went off. Anyway, with the Effexor I go to bed and I immediately go to sleep. My doctor is amazed that it has affected me this way but she explains that it also helps Obcessive compulsive disorder, which I do believe I have. At night is when I did all my "obcessing", not to sound crazy here but do any of you ever to go bed and start thinking of : example: a song, that you can't get out of your head? Well that is what I would be doing, anyway the Effexor has put a stop to it. I also have noticed it has helped me to "let go" of certain problems and situations that I can not do anything about. I know this medication affects everyone differently but for me it's great. I had previously been on Paxil and Elavil, all they did for me was make me sleepy during the day, even falling alseep at my desk. Just thought I would pass on this information to you, this medication was prescribed by the doctor from the OHSU Fibromyalgia Clinic. I'll be interested to know if anyone else has had any of these same problems that were corrected with the Effexor.

Dara
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

I know a lot of people here have not had good luck with Effexor. But, I have to tell you it has truly been a godsend to me. I am one of the one's who go to bed at night so exhausted but even with a sleeping pill I would still be awake tossing & turning and thinking about everything in the world for up to 3, 4, hours or longer. When I was working there were times I was still awake at 5:00am when the alarm went off. Anyway, with the Effexor I go to bed and I immediately go to sleep. My doctor is amazed that it has affected me this way but she explains that it also helps Obcessive compulsive disorder, which I do believe I have. At night is when I did all my "obcessing", not to sound crazy here but do any of you ever to go bed and start thinking of : example: a song, that you can't get out of your head? Well that is what I would be doing, anyway the Effexor has put a stop to it. I also have noticed it has helped me to "let go" of certain problems and situations that I can not do anything about. I know this medication affects everyone differently but for me it's great. I had previously been on Paxil and Elavil, all they did for me was make me sleepy during the day, even falling alseep at my desk. Just thought I would pass on this information to you, this medication was prescribed by the doctor from the OHSU Fibromyalgia Clinic. I'll be interested to know if anyone else has had any of these same problems that were corrected with the Effexor.

Dara
  3. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I take 300mg a day of Effexor XR and it is the only anti-depressant that has worked for me! It didn't help much with my sleep but as far as my major depression it was a God send! I have been on it since May 2002.

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  4. BonnieQ

BonnieQ Member

I take effexor also, my rheumatologist who specializes in fibro said although it is an antidepressant, which I did not need it for depression, fibro patients have low levels of seratonin and this helps this problem. It doesn't help with the pain, but it sure makes you feel much better. I take effexor XR and it works better for me than reg. effexor. I felt an intial head rush with the reg type , this one (XR) I don't . He originally put me on paxil, but it made me way to hyper (about drove myself and hubby nuts! LOL!) and therefore tried effexor xr and it worked great!
    Bonnie
  5. stargazer

stargazer New Member

I just got some samples form my rheumy today. I'
    m hoping they work for me! I tried elavil again recently and I gained 20 ponud and my cholesterol levels went thru the roof so while I'm working, haha, on getting my weight and levels down she thought this might work for me. I sure hope so. How long did it take for you all to otice and effect and what time of day did you take it?
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

before I noticed the difference as far as going to sleep at night so very easy. I take 75 ER once a day about 30 minutes to an hour before I plan on going to bed. There have been times I've taken it but not gone to bed for a couple of hours (too busy reading a good book), and yet I still am able to go right to sleep. I use to get so mad at my husband, his head hits the pillow and he's sound asleep, I was totally jealous. Well, now I do the same and it is absolutely wonderful. Hope it works well for you too.

Dara
  7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

It's been wonderful for me! At first I was on 75.mg./day, but my doctor increased it to 225 mg./day. My depression is gone and I feel no side effects. I was previously on Celexa, which did work for a while, but then I got real depressed and he changed me to the Effexor. Hopefully I'll be able to stay on it for a long time! I'm glad you're getting good results Dara!

Annette2
  8. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I have been on Effexor since about 1997, but was switched to the Effexor Xr about 3yrs ago..I was put on it for depression..I had depression/anxiety problems long before my Fibro..I find Effexor helps me the most without all kinds of side effects compared to some drugs I tried..Yes, everyone's body is different..But it does help me...
    Glad the Effexor is working for you........
    Take Care..........Donna