EFFORT TO TALK??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathleen12, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Do any of you find that it takes every bit of energy you have left to string on sentence together?

With me, when someone asks me a question, all I can muster is an "uh hu". If I have to make a sentence, it always ends with an audible moan.

Any movement I make like reaching for my cup, putting my lap-top in my lap, and even chewing food exhausts me. Is that severe for CFS, or is it a normal level of CFS fatigue?
  2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

This happens very often to me. Sometimes I just lay here and focus on something like....I need a sip of my drink. Imagining myself doing it...the movement it would take for me to do it. But can't. I will sometimes be speaking and suddenly I forget what I was talking about...why I am there.....and I just stare in the distance repeating a word...then sometimes I snap back...or I just give up and tell them I cannot continue. I can understand your frustration.
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

This is a new symptom for me that started about a year ago. I try "not to talk" as much as possible, so living a hermit lifestyle.

Don't answer the phone, and only use it to make necessary errand phone calls. Very seldom do I make a social call.

My husband, who is a New York talker, has had great difficulty in adjusting to keeping his mouth SHUT!! ha! We have a "zillion" rules, including "I'll tape your mouth shut"!!

Talking is one of my biggest triggers, and also making any movements after 2PM. Usually only have some energy between 10 & 2PM; then it's to the bed.

For me, I have Lupus, Chronic Fatigue & Fibro. Each year has become more & more difficult. Working on my 25th year now, and my limitations just increase.

Very difficult illnesses to deal with.

Compassion to all that experience this............

LIGHT************carole
  4. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

I am newbie. I can sure relate to the effort to talk tho. I find that for one reason I run out of breath about 1/2 way into sentence half the time. I have shortness of breath on and off. Then also my sentences will come out in wrong order or completely wrong strange words.
    I cannot EVEN imagine having lupus along with CFIDS and FM. My sincere sympathy , Carole. I also do the paralysis, lying there imagining getting up from bed for even 1/2 to 1 hour and just feel like can't move.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2006]
  5. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

happens to me all the time, people will talk to me ask me questions and I too will answer with a "uh hu" or

I cannot not put enough words together to make a sentence and if I try and get something out of my mouth even if it's 2 sentence I'm totally out of breath..going to the bathroom is a chore. So I completley understand what you are going thru. Ann
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Kathleen,

It's funny, well maybe not funny but curious that just yesterday I was thinking about our senses and which one I would miss the most if I were to lose one. Of course, I want to keep them all but my mind does wander. I thought..my hearing...well, noises and even voices bother me more and more; my speech..well, talking is such an effort, maybe I wouldn't miss that so terribly. At that point I settled on my sight being the one I would miss the most and stopped that line of thinking.

But, this is all to say that yes talking is such an effort at times. Talking on the phone is a huge endeavor.

Lolalee
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

One of my "in the beginning" symptoms after the turn of the millenia, when my CFS became more severe, was difficulty talking and difficulty understanding speach.

Sometimes I can't talk at all. I can't make my mouth move. Or I can picture what I want to say, but I can't get the words. Or both. That's when I write in my notebook to communicate my needs. But I don't know why I would be able to write and not able to speak!

I have a hard time understanding speach. Everything must be put simply and spoken slowly. If I'm really tired, I won't understand anyway.

I try to use the phone as often as possible for social calls, because of the isolation of being housebound. I couldn't use the phone well for about three years.

Physically I am weaker now than I have been in some of the earlier years, but some of the ability to talk has returned. I can make a call or two a day if it's a good day. I mostly call people who are good talkers so I can just enjoy listening. :)

Anything that requires much mental effort is off-limits to me. So I read books written for children and watch re-runs on TV. I am very lucky to still live with my dad and brothers. They are there for hugs every day, and they're good at being quiet for me too.
    (( )) Shannon
  8. tiredohsotired

tiredohsotired New Member

Yes,

In fact, when I was trying to explain my symptoms to my doctor I had to stop. I told her that I just don't have the strength to talk anymore. It's amazing to me how CFS and Fibro zap the life right out of you.