Elavil and Sam-e need feed back please.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scarflady, Jul 22, 2005.

1. scarflady

scarflady New Member

My doctor wants me to try 10 mg Elavil to help me sleep. Have tried several sleep meds for sleep and awake at 3 or 4 am and sometimes up the rest of the night.....
    What do you think of taking Elavil just before bed and taking 1 400 Mg of Sam-e at about 9:00 AM for energy? There is a caution on the Sam-e bottle about taking antidepressants. I wondered if they they are spaced 10 hours apart if this would be OK?

I hope taking the Elavil just as I go to bed will prevent the terrible weight gain.

Thank you for you help.

Scarflady
  2. maripat

maripat New Member

Hi
    I took Elavil for a month for sleep. I was still waking up after only a couple hour sleep.
    I have just started on Lunesta, so far it seems to be working better.
    Good Luck,.
    maripat
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Is an older ssri and from what I hear, even a small amt. will add the weight and decrease sex interest.

If you want a prescription, why don't you talk to your doctor about lunesta? I have found help with it, just as above poster. It helps you to get to sleep, and then KEEPS you asleep. YEAH!!

I like that it doesn't carry the effects that other sleep aids do and it was approved for long term use. I'd go this route any day of the week over the AD route. ( My doctors have tried a least five different AD's on me, none of which were for depression.....pms, fm, insomnia.)Never again unless I have bad depression.

If you dont want an rx drug, then try 5-htp. It has worked on insomnia, headaches, weight loss, depression and fibromyalgia. Has a good safety rating and none of the horrid AD side effects. Google Michael Murray's book on Guide to Natural Medicines. THe tests and doses and what drugs not to take while on 5-htp are listed there.

To answer your question I personally would not take same-e and elevil even that far apart. They both effect serotonin levels and I end up in serotonin walking zombie h***. There is always the risk of Serotonin Syndrom here.

I took for a while 5-htp 100mg. at night for sleep and 200mg sam-e in am for jt/liver health. Too much for me. The best was 100mg x2d of 5-htp on empty stomach. I quit taking 5-htp because tramadol also effects sero. to a degree......I am sleepy and goofy enough....don't need any more help in that area and wont give up my tramadol.

Hope this helps,
    Elsa
  4. Christinetee

Christinetee New Member

The doseage of Elavil your Dr. wants you to take is extremely low. I take 25 mg to help with fibro pain and it helps me sleep soundly. It's not used very much for depression because it takes 100's of mgs for it to do anything to help ease depression.

Lynda
  5. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I take 50mg. of Elavil at night and my psyciatrist said it is ok to take Sam-E along with this.
  6. achy

achy New Member

I take it when I go to bed with a flexeril (muscle relaxer)
    I sleep like a baby...10-12 hours.

And I wake up exhausted!

Try it for 60 days to really see if it helps.

achy
  7. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

I take 75 mgs of Elavil at night and it helps with sleep. I did put on weight at first but lost it and now am only 125 pounds.

I wouldn't mix the Elavil and SamE. I've found NADH to be very helpful for morning fatigue and also ProBoost. Both are sold here on this site.

best wishes.........foxglove
  8. millennia

millennia New Member

When I started Elavil I asked my pharmacist if I could take it with Sam-e. She said on the low dose I was on (30mg I think), that it is perfectly safe. Ask your pharmacist, it is their job to know that sort of thing.
  9. motomom412

motomom412 New Member

I asked my doctor to take me off of it. I was taking 50mg at night for the past year and a half. It made me gain quite a bit of weight. I also take Lexapro for depression so I think taking both of them together was extremely hazardous. They are both known for making you gain weight and another side effect is making you crave sweets, and I'm diabetic so I should not have been put on that medicine at all.

Regene