Elavil!! anyone tried it please let me know

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claireandgiles, Jul 5, 2003.

1. claireandgiles

claireandgiles New Member

i have herd that elavil is good for chronic pain aswell as depression. Lucky me i suffer from both and i am wondering what experiences any of you lovely people have had on it
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I've been taking elavil for quite some time now....It works for me!!But I'll say,for alot of members here they've had alot of weight gain with the elavil!!YUK! just what many of us don't want! I have gained a little, so for me its not been bad.(about 10lbs over 2 yrs)But i've heard of some people putting on 30 and 40 lbs!! My dose is real low so maybe thats why i'm doing OK in that department~
    It helps me get some sleep.I take it with a flexeril(muscle relaxer)for pain.BTW my dose on the elavil is only 10mgs.I think the higher the dose the more you'll gain???
    Hope it works wonders for you!Others will be along to give their 2 cents. If you put the word elavil in the search post box,it'll bring up all the previous posts on elavil~
    Lots of info!! Have a nice day!!
    :) Tracey
  3. claireandgiles

I think that people gain weight as it slows down your motabilism and people get hungry on this pill so they eat more. if i watch my weight and exercise i will be cool.

Also does it make you feel tired and constipated??
  4. kfsunshine

kfsunshine New Member

I just started taking Elavil..about a week..10mgs and it has helped a little with my pain and sleep..not really any side effects either but maybe that's because I am on a low dose.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are those here who consider it a God send, so each of us has to decide for ourselves.

It made me sleepy but didn't improve the quality of sleep as it is supposed to do. I awoke feeling groggy and drugged up. I was as exhausted as when I went to bed. The sleep just wasn't restorative. I put on 20 pounds almost overnight. I also suffered from constipation and dry mouth. BTW, Flexeril, the muscle relaxant, is a cousin of Elavil and also put 20 pounds on me. It also left me groggy, constipated, and with a dry mouth.

The Klonopin I now take provides me with 7-8 hours of good sleep every night and I awaken feeling refreshed. In addition, it has gotten rid of my anxiety/panic attacks and has greatly diminished my sensory overload and tinnitus. Like with Elavil, though, it hasn't helped everyone.

Love, Mikie
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I gained 46 lbs. in my first two months on Elavil. It did nothing for my pain and made my sleep worse. It made me jittery and gave me heart palpitations.
    60% of Fibro patients become obese within the first two years. I think this is one of the reasons.
    JellyBelly has had excellent results with it, so it does work for some of us.
    I ran a support group for ten yrs. and I would say that in my experience, about 10% of people get good results from it.
    It is the drug of choice of doctors who do not read the research and are not really up to date on this illness. It may cover the symptoms, but does nothing to treat the causes.
    Klutzo
  7. Lendi

Lendi New Member

it can really be a terrific drug. I tried it for sleep and pain. But, it didn't make me sleep, only made me draggy. I'd "wake" up about 2 hrs before the next dose. My mom was put on it for night sweats, has used it for several years and it works like a charm for her. Just depends on the person, I think. Hope you have great luck with it. Lendi
  8. claireandgiles

i dont have fibro. I want to try it for my stomach pain as i herd it worked well for that.
    Is the bad reaction just waht people with fibro get
  9. claireandgiles

thanks alot!! i need to try it for stomach pain. Someone i konw takes 60mg at bed time. what are you on it for and did you get dixxy or very sleepy on it?
  10. claireandgiles

you look fantastic!!! i will see my doc about it this week. i get stomach pains and bad nausea too because of the pain its caused by overactive stomach nerves.
    So if it works it will change my life so much. Im 20 and since i have got this stomach problem my life has been so horrible!!! i have lost confidence and have no job because of it. i will just start low and increase it until i find out if it works. If it does nothing i will give up in time. as i have no job i dont have to get up or anything so when i first take it i will rest alot until i see improvement.

I have lost 2 stone since i got ill and im 6ft tall and i am very underweight, i look good though.I weigh 10 stone now and have weighed 12.5 stone before so if i do put weight on i dont think i will look bad as i never did before.
    So what anyway, if i had a choice between being fatter and have no stomach probs and being skinny with horrible pain i know which one i would rather!!!
    what is your email address as i would love to keep in contact to tell you how i get on
  11. Dara

Dara New Member

made me want to sleep all the time. Not just at night, during the day I would fall asleep while sitting at my desk at work. I also was overly fatigued from it and started having heart palpatations. I would fall asleep as soon as I walked in the door from work, and what would wake me up was my heart beating so fast and hard I felt like it was rocking the bed. I also saw no difference in pain levels, for me it just didn't work at all.

I now take Effexor 150mg at night. It helps me fall asleep FAST... No more tossing & turning all night, and has helped with OCD so that I don't worry about everything.

Dara
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Where did you find the proof that Elavil extends stage IV sleep? Everything I've read says there is no proof that anti-depressants actually do this...that it is only theory. I'd like to read it.
    Thanks,
    Klutzo
  13. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hello, Elavil seems to get a lot of attention on this board, good and bad. I was on Elavil back in 1996, before they found the FMS. I was on 10 milligrams only. This drug did help me sleep, but, it was a weird kind of sleep almost like i felt drugged and had to sleep. Elavil also gave me a horrendous weight gain, so I stopped taking it after about 6 months. This drug kind of kept me in a fog, I always felt like I was under water, so maybe that's why my pain was a little decreased while on it. But, I feel that these drugs should be used for clinical depression, not pain. Antidepressants were studied for depression, BUT, depression caused by a condition like FMS, is just so different. I didn't have any luck with this med, but, as always you have to make up your own mind. Wishing you luck, Hugs, Chelz.
  14. judywhit

judywhit New Member

has worked wonders for me. 20mg helps me sleep. No weight gain.
    Judy
  15. smilemona

smilemona New Member

I was prescribed Elavil for a sleeping aid. Because I am Chemically Sensitive, on the first night I took only half the pill.

I fell asleep rather normally...but what followed the next day was a nightmare. I was almost hallucinating. I wanted to crawl out of my skin and had almost no sense of mental normalcy. I didn't feel safe driving, I had very little sense of what proper interation with other people was. My day with my third graders was excruciating!

Fortunately, I had a Cranio Sacral appt. that afternoon...and they worked on detoxing me. That was what they thought was going on.

So, Elavil is off my list...as are most prescription meds. I'm just too sensitive to use them comfortably and safely.

Hooray for those of you it works for! :)
  16. Sekoya

Sekoya New Member

Been on it for quite awhile now, a very low dose.

It DOES help me sleep better, but it takes awhile to kick in and I wake up with a "hangover" -- bad for me cuz I have to get up at 5:30AM to get ready for work. Take the Amitriptilyne around 8PM, go to bed at about 9:30PM, get to sleep around MIDNIGHT.

Then of course I have to hit the coffee during the day, which is bad for me, but I can't stay awake without it.
  17. 9974

9974 New Member

If it makes you feel better take it. But if you have side effects there are many medications that you can take for your problems. I take hydrocodone for pain and clonazepam for sleep, and sleep is one thing you need for depression. Hope you get to feeling better.
    I also us mind over matter for depression........if you don't mind it won't matter lol!!!!!!

P.S
    LET GOD BLESS YOU
    Lonnie M.
  18. savage46

savage46 New Member

I have been on elavil for over 5 yrs now and no major weight gian i only weight 138lbs as i always have I find its very helpful for a restful sleep as well as i use klonopin during the day ti keep me from getting too tensed up you may want to try those lidociane patches i was speaking of they really do help
    Take Good Care, till another time
  19. savage46

savage46 New Member

I have been on elavil for over 5 yrs now and no major weight gian i only weight 138lbs as i always have I find its very helpful for a restful sleep as well as i use klonopin during the day ti keep me from getting too tensed up you may want to try those lidociane patches i was speaking of they really do help
    Take Good Care, till another time
  20. tes

tes New Member

I started with 10mg and as my body got used to it, my doc recently upped it to 25mg. For me, it is a life saver. This is the only drug I take and it lets my sleep through the night and when the pain is real bad at night, it allows me to fall asleep faster. It does give me major cravings for sweets and carbs, but I have learned to control them. I am thin and haven't really gained weight. As long as you limit your junk food and fight the cravings, you should be o.k. For now, it is helping with my pain really well and I would not give it up for anything. I hope it works as well for you. God bless.