Elavil being discontinued..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bambi, May 27, 2003.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

It may have been posted here but I was perusing the FDA website this morning and see
    they are discontinuing Elavil. No more injections already and they expect the pill form to be depleted by December 2003. I don't
    take it but know some here do and thought if
    you didn't know you might want to talk to your doctor about it. I have missed a lot of
    posts on here lately, a lot going on, so I
    didn't know if someone else has posted this
    or not...DUH! I think I'm repeating myself.
    Like that's a new thing either? Not! Hugs, Bambi
  2. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Did they happen to say why? My dr. just last week RXed it for me and I haven't started it yet, guess I know why now.
    Thanks again for posting the news!! love and peace, Rebel
  3. lindaschultz

lindaschultz Guest

I'm a pharmacist and haven't heard about this. I've checked with a couple other pharmacist and they haven't heard about it either. If they are discontinuing Elavil I feel certain that the generic will still be available. In my experience most people who are on it use the generic and it may no longer be profitable for the pharmaceutical company to make it anymore. I will watch for any information about this in my pharmacy journals and newsletters. I wouldn't get too worried about it yet. Linda
  4. AC77

AC77 New Member

I think it already is discomtinued. The new PDR didnt even have the brand listed anymore! Which I think is ok, because everyone I know takes it as generic, amitriptyline and there are many good generics of it. It is dirt cheap. #60 10mgs tabs cost me $4.50!
  5. KayL

KayL New Member

I said *Oh no!* I too take the generic, in fact my pharmacy has used several generics because I've gotten pink ones and white ones with huge printouts stating it was the same med, just a different *brand* of generic.

Karen