Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karkel, Oct 18, 2010.

1. karkel

karkel New Member

Which has the least side effects and works the best ? Going to doctor friday...want to try something besides the Vicodin I'm on.
  2. jmq

jmq New Member

I had a HORRIBLE time with Cymbalta. Not side effects but when I wanted to get off of it...it was hell. I had to go to the emergency room with the withdrawl effects. Now I am on Wellbutrin and love it. I also take Lyrica which has helped with the pain and fatigue. I also take Tramadol for the pain on a daily basis....and Provigil when I need some extra energy.

Good Luck ....everyone is different
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Welbutin gave me syncope. Cost me an ER visit. $100 copay.

I use 5HTP 100mg, St. John's Wort for serotonin. I also love honey roasted cashews: very high in tryptophan.
    Sleep aids modify the GABA receptors. I need less Lunesta and Ambien if I add pharma grade GABA, synthetic GABA doesn't work. Theanine helps the GABA cross the BBB. Taurine also helps it cross. Fish is the best natural source of GABA.
  4. kat211

kat211 New Member

Elavil worked for a few weeks and then puttered out. I didn't have any side effects from it.

Wellbutrin sent me into medication induced bipolar. It was awful! I actually tried to kill myself b/c I thought I was crazy. Thankfully I was able to push through my ego and ask for help when a friend called.

Celexa - although a different class, worked very well for years for depression but lost its efficacy after 7 years. It was a good run though.

Cymbalta has been a blessing for me. My pain level has gone from a constant 8+ to a 0-3 with spikes if I either overdo it or don't do anything at all. The one side effect I may be able to attribute to cymbalta is excessive sweating, but my endo thinks it was from my thyroid issue and the cymbalta just made it worse for a while.

I am also on 100mg of provigil and 3 10mg Flexiril a day for pain. I usually take 1 flexiril in the morning and 2 about 30 minutes b/f bed. I do notice a huge difference if I don't take the flexiril in the am. I still have severe exhaustion, but both I and my DRs believe it is caused by the mold in my house. If I am out of the house for an extended period, I feel great and alive again, but I am stuck at home most of the time.

The best advice I can give when someone is looking for a new med is to understand that people do not react to the meds in the same way. If we did, only one would be needed. You must understand that the road to finding a med that will work for you might be a long and sometimes treachorous one, or it could be a short easy one. Also, search online for coupons once you and your dr decide on a specific med. I think I was able to save $80 on my refills last month.
  5. karkel

karkel New Member

Went to doctor today instead of waiting till friday..I got a lsw dose of Wellbutin...haven't picked up yet. I'm so afraid to try anything....what is snyscope ? Whatever one of you mentioned...I told the doctor I wanted to try the least harsh first....so Cymbalta is a harder drug I guess....she still came me vicodin for days I just can't move......I just hate taken so often...though I really had no side effects from it.
  6. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Well, I can't give any advice on the Cymbalta, but I could on the other two. First of all, really think about whether you really need to go on these drugs. I know that doctors prescribe drugs in this class for FM, but frankly, I felt that the side effects from Elavil and Wellbutrin outweighs the benefits in a huge way.

I took Elavil back in 1995 for chronic pain and inability to sleep. I wasn't diagnosed with FM just yet back then. The Elavil was taken at a very low dose, only 10 milligrams a day.

Within about 4 months, or so, can't really rememer, I gained about 40 pounds, I had blurry vision, stretch marks all over from the sudden weight gain. I also had slow thinking and I felt like my emotions were in neutral, and that wasn't a good thing. The only positive from Elavil is that it really did put me to sleep quicker and longer, but again, the side effects were bad. As far as pain goes, it did very little, so I got off of it.

I also took Wellbutrin at a very low dose, only 100 milligrams in the morning. I think the typical dose was 300 milligrams per day, so I was taking 200 less than most people. I felt like I would hit the roof, this drug me me nervous, edgy, I couldn't sit still, almost like I drank 10 cups of espresso coffee. It also agitated me. As far as positive effects? None. So, I got off of that as well. I also had problems with Zoloft and Paxil. Getting off the Paxil was a nightmare, really horrible.

So my point is this. Unless you really really feel you need these drugs, make sure your doctor knows a lot about them. At the time I was given these drugs it was the 1990's and early 2000, when so many primary care docs were just handing them out, expecially for conditions like ours whey they just didn't know what to do with us.

Even though so many people are on them, these drugs are psychiatric drugs. Only a psychiatrist will know the unique properties of how these drugs work on our brain and bodies.
    Primary care doctors, OB/GYNS, and so many others just dish them out too quickly, and these drugs can have so many sife effects.

I have not been on these kind of drugs now for over 10 years. I now use a comprehensive approach to my FM. Diet, exercise, CoQ10, Omega 3's, Vitamin D, magnesium, probiotics, MSM, (that one is for pain, no side effects) All these supplements have helped me a lot as well as watching my diet.

I do believe pain meds do help so many people with our condition, and if the Vicodin is helping you that's great :) Really ask your doctor a lot of questions about any drug he or she gives you in the antidepressant category, hopefully, they will know more than my doctors did back then. Good luck to you, Hugs, Chelz.

7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I take the Amitriptyline 25 mg. at bedtime with 3 otc ibuprofen 3 hours before bedtime and have not had any side effects except restful sleep. I get up once for the bathroom and fall right back to sleep.

Years ago I was on doxepin with no side effects and later went onto melatonin which also helped.

I went years without needing anything and have gone onto the amitriptyline and ibuprofen, which I have been on for about a year or more.
  8. karkel

karkel New Member

HOw can I thank you for your fast reply. I picked up the Wellbutrin today,but now maynot take. I want to try the supplement thing...would you be so kind to tell me doseage of each and how to take etc...? I do take Omega 3 and Vit D....You have given me HOPE. God Bless you Karen
  9. Chelz

Chelz New Member

So glad I can be of help to you and give you some hope. I will give you a listing of what I take for my FM and general health. Keep in mind, you may have to tweak these amounts as we are all different. Some of the supplments are expensive, like the CoQ10 and the Omega 3's, but I wouldn't be without them. Here is what I take.

Morning time One capsule of CoQ10 200 milligrams ( I know this seems high, but my
    doctor is okay with this amount) Andrew Lessman formula)
    Two capsules of Omega 3's (Andrew Lessman formula)

Lunch Once capsule of Vitamin D 1,000 milligrams
    MSM 2 capsules, a total of 800 milligrams

Dinner Another Vitamin D, 1000 milligrams
    Another capsul of MSM which is 400 milligrams (Total for the day, 1,200.

Before bedtime, Natural Calm magnesium which is a powder formula. You can get this from any health food store. Also, I take one capsule of Culturell probiotics

Before each meal, except for breakfast, I do take digestive enzymes. This is to help digest the food better, helps keep that bloating feeling from happening. I take Source Naturals enzymes which are fantastic.

I know this list seems like a lot, or it might seem overwhelming, but once you get the hang of it, it will be like a second nature to take. I tried not to make it look too confusing (although it does a little, sorry about that). Just let me know if you needed to ask anything else, and always GOOD LUCK. God Bless and hugs to you, Chelz.
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Are you taking the AD for depression, FM or both?

If you are depressed do not pass go, but go straight for the ADs. Since supplements aren't regulated you don't know what you are getting. There may be some scientific evidence for SJW helping slight depression.

I worked in psych. area and had several students go off their ADs and take St. John's Wort, unfortunately with disastrous effects.

I can't take Welbutrin as I had a medication induced manic episode. Cymbalta made me so dizzy even after the side effects should have left. I don't know about Elavil. So the SSNIs are out for me.

Zoloft/Lexapro have worked well for me. I was having a problem with the AD eventually wearing off and my psychiatrist added Lamictal. Once the doctor did this, I have been on Zoloft for the longest time ever without having a decrease in effect.

ADs do help with pain.

Someone above said to keep in mind that we all react differently. It is not "natural" for your brain to be in the chemical/neurological state it is in when depressed, so the AD helps restore the balance.

A complete physical is a must that any doctor should do to rule out other things.

Good luck.