elavil, does the tireness ever go??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claireandgiles, Jul 11, 2003.

1. claireandgiles

claireandgiles New Member

i have posted messages about elavil recentley and have got lots of replys. one thing i am wondering is does the tiredness ever go? i mean when your body has adapted to the drug do u ever feel more awake at any point in the time u r on it.
    and if i feel a bit tried on 10mg when they increase my dose will it totally knock me out?

claire xx
  2. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I took Elavil for a long time and really don't think the tiredness ever goes away. I think you just get used to being tired!

It is unfortunate - I'm not sure if the tiredness will go away on a higher dose - with some anti-depressants, they say that the higher the dose, the lesser the fatigue

Are you having relief of other symptoms with Elavil?
  3. claireandgiles

claireandgiles New Member

i am taking the elavil for painful stomach nerves. i have only just started taking it so i will have the go up to a higher dose soon. It takes time to work but im confident it will work for the pain.

How is it that the higher the dose the less fatigue there will be? thought it would be the other way round???
  4. JP

JP New Member

Hello Claire,

My tiredness went away fairly quickly, about the third day of taking the medicine. I only take it an hour before bed however. I wake up in pain, so I don't notice if I am tired....strange concept. Anyway, I started with 10 mg and am up to 75 mg at bedtime. I think it really depends on the individual. The combination of medicine that I take should keep me asleep all the time. I have a fairly serious chronic persistant pain condition that tends to keep me awake and in movement as part of my pain control.

Hope this helps...jan
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The morning groggyness never went away for me. I would eventually feel more awake later in the day, but the hung over feeling in the mornings was awful.

Love, Mikie