Elavil for Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Mar 11, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:
    I take 50mg. of Elavil for pain and sleep. In two weeks I go to the doctor and am going to ask for an increase to 100mg. I went to Google and put in 'Elavil dosages'. When it describe Elavil it said it was used in treatment for Fibromyalgia. I could not believe it. Legitiamcy right there. It was so good to see the word.

Does anyone else use Elavil for pain or sleep and if I am not being too nosey, could you share your dose?

Hugs,
    NyroFan
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hi, I take it too - 10mg a night for pain & sleeplessness. Any higher dose knocks me out in the daytime as well, but we're all different & I wish you success with your increased dose.
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I took 10 mg for about 3 nights and felt lousy. Maybe I should have kept it up to see if it would help. The dr told me to double it, but I just stopped taking it.

But I couldn't take my Ativan (Lorazepam) with it, and that is the best med for me to date.

Did you guys feel lousy at first or did it help right away?

Sue in Ontario
  4. kittycamcj

kittycamcj New Member

hi, i tried elavil a few years ago, and it made me gain weight, and it didn't seem to help the pain. i hope it helps you.
    take care,
    carol
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I take 25mg at night. It was the first thing prescribed by my doc. I don't know if it helps with pain or not but if I stopped taking it I get terrible anxiety. I am not sleeping well according to my hubby and my pain is increasing but I am afraid to increase the dose because of the weight gain issue.

Sonya
  6. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I also take 500mg. of Neurontin with that for pain and sleep at night, which is also a low dose. For some reason, the combination works best than taking either one by themselves. I didn't want to increase the Elavil because of the weight gain.
    I hope this helps.

-Laura
  7. jvrealty

jvrealty New Member

FYI took this for 2 1/2 years and gained 15 lbs, which i could not loose, even with exercise and modified eating. been off of it since since january and have lost 10 lbs.......i take melatonin to help me sleep, when i need it most.

jv
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Thank You to all:
    Thank you for your responses about Elavil. It reinforces my belief in the medication. Also what I like about taking it at night is that it is easier to get out of bed in the morning without the feeling of not being able to budge.
    Thank you for sharing your dosing with me. I will ask the doctor to give me an increase. Whether he will go along with it, I do not know. I go on March 20, so will let you know then.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan