Elavil - help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Jun 23, 2008.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I had a remission for about a year and went off all meds. I have had a relapse and went to my PCP for more pain control. He put me back on Elavil, which I took before (25mg, starting w/ 1/2 for a week to get adjusted). The past 2 nights or so I do not feel that I slept well (sleeping good before for now) and so I feel like crap.

I don't know whether to give it more time to "kick in" (I have been on it 5 days) or stop since it seems to be hurting my sleep, not helping.

He gave it to me to manage the pain. I need some opinions please!

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2008]
  2. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Personally I hated the stuff. Always felt groggy the next day and craved sweets bigtime. It never did help my pain and I tried it two different times. Good luck in whatever you decide.

3. Empower

Empower New Member

First, that seems like a high dose to start out with!!!

Well, Elavil always made me just pass right out and sleep soundly through the night.

But I would wake up (or try to wake up) feeling soooooooo grogggy

I also gained a lot of weight on it

It did help me with the pain, though

Talk to your doctor
  4. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I love it, but I only take 10mg 3 hours before sleep, so as not to feel groggy the next morning. I get up during the night to use the BR and go right back to sleep.

The problem I am having is from sleeping in one position before I wake up each time, I am in pain in all of my joints, esp. the shoulders and neck.

I read that is because of the lactic acid build-up in the muscles and that is why moving around, stretching and the hot shower in the morning help me to feel better.
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I decided to take 1/4 at 6:30 and see if that helps. Thanks to everyone who replied. As for the dose, this is the dose that I started on when I was first dx'd but the full 25 mg knocked me out so I went to 1/2 for a week.

The strange thing is that the first full dose helped my pain both times I started it, even though the nurse was surprised by that.

I did feel drugged this morning but it did not seem like it wore off, I was dragging all day. I can't function like this though.
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Thanks to kellygirl's advise, I took 1/4 of the 25 mg pill at 6:30 and although I still slept sort of fitfully, I do not feel drugged this morning. I am thinking that I might just keep up the low dose and increase later because I know before when I was on it that I got adjusted to the 25mg and it did not bother me.

The doc said 25 is a very low dose and he has some patients on 300mg but I also know that we are very sensitive to meds. That is why I am so grateful for this board to be able to get advise that can really help.

Thanks to those who responded and God Bless
  7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I asked my rheumatologist about that, will I become tolerant of it that I may have to up the dose. He said no and so far so good, and it's been 6 months now.

I am glad it helped. BTW, I got that suggestion from these boards, to take it 3 hours before sleep.

I am one that has a phobia about meds, but this one is an oldie and I use to be on doxepin years ago 10 mg. for sleep and had to problems with it. When the doctor suggested this one I thought I would try it. It is working for me.
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

Good advice to start it earlier in the evening, since it does take awhile to kick in

Just so you are not having a late night out somewhere!

I know how all of us CFS/FMS sufferers are such party animals!!! (LOL, I WISH)
  9. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

is that I am not getting real pain relief at this dose. When I took the whole 25mg, I did the next day even though the nurse told me the first time that she was surprised that it worked that quick.

I am thinking that if I stick with 1/4 long before bed and up to 1/2 later, etc I might get to the whole 25mg and some significant pain relief.

Thanks and God Bless
  10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Okay, last night I slept better and woke up with less pain. I am still on 1/4 of a pill and think I will just stay there until it does not work anymore. I took it at 7 and was falling asleep by 9 so I know it is working at that dose.

Could be coincidence that my back did not hurt this morning but it has hurt every morning for weeks and during the night AND I am taking the Elavil for pain, so it stands to reason that it is not completely "out there" to say it is working.
  11. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

From what I have learned is if we do not sleep well, that will increase pain. Sleep is when our bodies are able to heal and the pain level should decrease with proper sleep.

Also, don't forget to stretch and move around in the morning. A hot shower definitely helps me, too, in the morning.

I hope you continue to feel better.