Elavil or Effexor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Feb 25, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Yes, me again with a drug question. Since I pretty much refused the Effexor my dr is prescribing the Elavil 10 mg.

From searching the posts, it looks like 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

What do you think is better?

I'm sooooo confused, but I have to do something as my insomnia and anxiety is so bad, I'm getting afraid to leave my house!! When I get better with that, I'll deal with the pain and everything else.

Sue in Ontario
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Elavil is an older antidepressant, and it does help with sleep and with other issues; I don't know about anxiety and this med. It does help with pain at first, but I noticed that it stopped working after my body got used to it. So....And, it can cause weight gain. It does in many cases.

One good thing is that it's an older drug and doesn't have the withdrawal problems associated with Effexor, especially. People have used it since its introduction in 1957 and they're still prescribing it...So, at least it's been OK for a long time.

I would take it again if it helped, but it doesn't help me. AND...I don't need any more weight. These antidepressants have added plenty of pounds to my frame and I want no more. (-:

Hope this has helped. Take care of yourself.

Sue

3. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i have been on both and have had better luck with elavil. it actually helped me sleep. while on it i only wake up once a night instead of 4-5 times. effexor made me juppy and killed my sex drive. i hope this helps.
    rachel
  4. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thank you all. I think I will give it a try at the 10 mg and see how it goes.

Sue