ELAVIL: PROS AND CONS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eeyore, Oct 5, 2002.

1. eeyore

eeyore New Member

SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN POSTED BEFORE. THE DR. JUST STARTED ME ON THIS YESTERDAY BUT I DON'T LIKE THE SIDE EFFECTS I'VE READ. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THEIR OPINION.
    THANKS,P.S. IT'S SUPPOSED TO HOW ME SLEEP AND FEEL RESTED IN A.M.
  2. eeyore

eeyore New Member

SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN POSTED BEFORE. THE DR. JUST STARTED ME ON THIS YESTERDAY BUT I DON'T LIKE THE SIDE EFFECTS I'VE READ. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THEIR OPINION.
    THANKS,P.S. IT'S SUPPOSED TO HOW ME SLEEP AND FEEL RESTED IN A.M.
  3. blast

blast New Member

I had the same problems with the Elavil when I first started taking it. My doctor started me at 50mg. which for me was just too high of a dose. What dose are you on? I ended up having her change it to 10mgs. at bedtime. Now it is working fantastic. I actually sleep and get deep sleep. I know this because I am actually dreaming again!!
    SOmetimes I sleep a good 3-4 hours before being interupted, and for me that is like heaven. Before, I was lucky if I got 30 minutes before being awakened.
    It does take a bit of time to actually help the chronic pain, I am assuming that is why they put you on it. (Let me know if I am mistaken). So, try giving it some time, but if it is making you too groggy the next day, or even throughout the night, see it the doc can lower the milligrams.
    Let me know how much you are taking, and if any of this sounds familiar!
    Good luck and hang in there!
    Blast
  4. TerriM

TerriM New Member

If I'm correct, Elavil and Amitryptilene are the same drug? I was "unconsciously" prescribed this last fall shortly after I came down with the disease after surgery. I didn't know what I had, but wasn't sleeping. Even 10mg. was too much for me at first so I quartered it and moved up 1/4 each week until after 1 month I was taking 10mg before bed. It worked fantastic for 6 months and then I started remaining groggy into the daytime. I was even able to go back to work part time while on it. Haven't worked since I stopped. I had problems getting diagnosed and recently found out what I have. I am now back on it and hoping to get back to where I was. They think that the amitryptilene helped (it does make you really groggy, but once used to it it goes away) by helping me get deep sleep, raising Dopamine (which gets lowered with immune problems) and it also has antihistamine properties so it helped keep the reactions down. Also, I have insulin resistance now which seems to be part of the whole snowball effect, but can't tolerate the medication for it. I highly recommend this drug, but it may not work for everyone. I do advise to try to give it a chance and get past the initial stage. ACtually my husband kept telling me to take it, take more, etc. etc. not being supportive, so I gave him one and he freaked! said he'd never take it again!! once I got used to it though it was great.
  5. crickett

crickett New Member

Hi:

Elavil never worked for me. I was always too hung over in the am, groggy etc. and never really got quality sleep. The doctors answer was that I should take a higher and higher dose. No thanks. I couldn't function on a dose of 10 to 25 mg,why should I take a higher dose. When I went to a new rheumotologist 2 years ago, he started me on a new(?) anti depressant Serzone. I started with a dose pack of 25mg a day for a week, then 50mg and then 100. It took a lot longer than a week to increase doseages. I was really sleepy. It has taken about a 1-1/2yrs to gradually bring it up to a tolerable dose and is finally having some good effects. Now I am taking 200mg twice daily. It has acted like an anti-anxiety and anti depressant, although it hasn't reduced pain tolerance like I had hoped. It is supposed to raise the seretonin levels so that the pain is not perceived as bad as it is. It has allowed me to able to cope with a lot of other things going on in my life. One major stressful situation after another.
    I also take flexeril at bedtime and it has helped with sleep. I have tried many many drugs for sleep.
    Most doctors use Elavil as the drug of choice, especially in the beginning,. Everyone reacts differently to drugs, so give it some time for your body to adjust.

Good luck
    Sue
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I gained 46 bs. in 2 months on Elavil, while simultaneously cutting down my food intake! It also made me have palpitations, tachycardia and jitters, and kept me awake even more. I was on 25 mgs. at bed time.
    Klutzo
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

that I was falling asleep at my desk at work. Then when I quit taking it I was dizzy for over four months, I hated it. The very best luck I have had so far with anti-depressant is Effexor XR. I can't say enough about it, for the first time in my 56 years of living I can go to bed and actually go to sleep. It doesn't make me feel sleepy or rummy, but for some reason I just go right to sleep. I was told they also use this for obcessive compulsive disorder, so that could be why when I go to bed I don't lay there and start thinking about all the things I can't do anything about. Use to be, if I didn't have anything to worry about I'd make something, play the "what if" game in my head. I was also told that it can help with the pain level, at first I did not notice any difference, but the last couple of mornings I wake up at 6am and I don't hurt. It has worked wonders for me, I'm even thinking that just maybe I'll be able to go back to work.

Dara
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Talk about FAT.....I was!!!! I gained just like when I'm on Prednisone and it made me feel awful! I had night terrors and nightsweats and I felt and looked awful during the day at work. I looked like a puffy drunk! I just could NOT tolerate this med!

Sorry to be such a bummer!
    Be well advised, my friends!
    Love,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2002]

[ advertisement ]