elavil ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaquieb, Aug 22, 2006.

1. jaquieb

jaquieb New Member

Has anyone taken elavil and has it helped? Jaquie
  2. raslin25

raslin25 New Member

i have been taking elvail for 2 months now, and it seems to help, i take it before betime, and i seem to rest pretty well.

I havent experienced any bad side affects, thankfully, and it seems to be working for the most part. i still struggle with sleep a few times a week but my rhumey said i could take 2 before bed.

Otherwise i have been happy with it. if you have any other questions about it, ill be more than happy to answer them for you. good luck and take care,

{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}
    Rachel
  3. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've been on a low dosage of Elavil for over a year now. I take 10 mg. just before bed. It's supposed to help with nerve pain. I sleep pretty well - except for the mornings when I wake up knowing I've been having dreams all night. Then I feel exhausted.

I also take 75 mg. of trazodone to help me get to sleep.

Nancy
  4. jaquieb

jaquieb New Member

Rachel, thank you for your answer. How many mg. are you taking? My rheumy is starting me out on 25 mg and told me to gradually go up to more if needed. I am sure i will. I have been on ambien. She said Elavil may help with others symptoms. Maybe I can stop both the prozac and ambien. I hate taking pills. Jaquie
  5. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have been on Elavil since Sept. 2005. I call it my miracle drug because it works so well - I sleep through the night more often then not, I don't wake up groggy, and I wake up almost normal without all of the severe pain I used to be in.

I started at 25 mg and now take 75 mg at 7:00 each night. The timing is very important especially when it comes to waking up grog-free. I wake up at 5:30 each morning and I am at work by 6:30 so it was important to me to find something that didn't give me that hungover feeling.

My Rheumatologist also increased the flexiril I was taking at the same time - so I think it is defintely the combo of the two. I know others have had bad luck with the elavil but it works for me.Good luck!
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Amitriptilyne is another name for elavil .. I have been taking it for over 4 years and yes .. it helps a great deal .. I'm on 50 mgs now .. but went up and down a bit to figure out what worked best ..
    Everyone is different and it takes a lot of time to reach a point of satisfaction with each drug we have to use for relief of the symptoms .. so try to be patient .. I know it isn't easy ..
    Good Luck !
    Joy
  7. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

Hi, I have been taking elavil for 15 years, to help me sleep. It also helps reduce pain, and helps with my anxiety, somewhat. I take 25mg. at night, because it relaxes me so much. I take Tylenol during the day, for pain. Give it a chance, it takes about four weeks to kick in, before you really feel a difference.

Take Care and Good Luck!! SB