Elavil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gigio, Sep 28, 2006.

1. gigio

gigio New Member

Has anyone tried Elavil for FM? Does it help with the pain at all?

Still suffering.......
  2. QueenieWong

QueenieWong New Member

Hi Gigio,

I tried Elavil about 15 years ago for Fibro pain and it didn't help at all. I did sleep a little better, but had dry mouth so bad during the day it wasn't worth taking.

There's lots of new AD's on the market now, so hopefully you can find one that works for you.

Vicki
  3. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I take 10 mg of Elavil before bed. I sleep well, but don't know if it's the elavil or the trazodone that is doing it.

My doctor put me on it because it's supposed to be good for neurological pain. I can't say that it works because I also take Cymbalta and Ultracet for pain.

I'm seeing a psychiatrist for the first time next Friday. She's going to regulate my antidepressant meds. I bet the first thing I come off is the Elavil. I'll let you know.
  4. gigio

gigio New Member

I take trazodone also for sleep at night. It works really good. I have tried Cymbalta but it didn't help my pain at all.
  5. WendyStoopy

WendyStoopy New Member

I tried elavil, it really helped my sleep for about a week and a half, then I was right back where I started. Then we upped the dose, it didn't help, I was getting dizzy and had really yuck nightmares. I even had one where I was kinda awake and paralzyed still and couldn't open my eyes or mouth but heard every thing around me for several minutes.
    Now I am taking Lyrica, 75mg at night. Soon I will switch to twice a day. It defintiely helps with my sleep problems, both going to sleep and staying asleep. Nothing is perfect though. It is supposed to help with pain, but I started it recently so can't comment on that yet.
    Good luck, sleep is vital
  6. Rebeck

Rebeck New Member

GIGIO, I HAVE TAKEN ELAVIL AND IT WAS GIVEN TO ME FOR SLEEP, NOT FIBRO. I CAN TELL YOU IT IS AN APPETITE BOOSTER, I GAINNED WT. AND STAYED HUNGRY ALL THE TIME, I CALLED MY DR. AND HE SAID TO JUST CUT BACK FROM EATING BUT I COULDN'T IT IS A WONDERFUL SLEEP PILL, BUT I COULDN'T TAKE THE WT. AFTER I STOPPD THE ELAVIL, LITTLE BY LITTLE I LOST THE WT., ALOT OF ELDERLY PEOPLE TAKE IT TO BOOST APPETITE, NEVER HELPED MY FIBRO..BE CAREFUL IF YOU DON'T WANT THE WEIGHT, GOOD LUCK, [email address removed as per rules]
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I tried it and was knocked out for 12 hours. I must be sensitive to it, so I haven't taken it again.

It is also for sleep?
  8. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I have it to help me sleep. As far as I can tell it has had no effect on my FM pain.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  9. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

It helped me with the pain for a while, and it helped for sleep too, but like others have mentioned, I gained almost 40 lbs in 6 months (after having a steady weight for 3 years) and had lots of days of dry mouth and nasty nightmares.

Since I switched to lyrica, things have gotten much nicer.

So, I wouldn't recommend elavil, but everyone is different.
  10. yodasmom

yodasmom New Member

I have taken Elavil off and on for years. Most recently for fibro and IC and vulvodynia which go along with fibro and CF. I could only handle 5mg (split 10 mg pill)so I did not gain too much weight (5 lbs). It rally helped the sleep and the pain but I was more tired during the day. I just stopped last week due to the horrendous headaches that I was getting which is why I have gone on and off over the years. I am definitely better on it with less side effects than other meds. I think I get less viral symptoms as it seems to help my immune system. I would try a low dose.