Elavil ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by INITAHUG, Sep 24, 2008.

INITAHUG New Member

I am on cymbalta and have been for about 3mths now,6omg once a day, not alot from what Ive been told for FM tho. Its sorta helped the pain, but Im on lyrica also,just gained about 20lbs and is really messing with my memory. My Doctor said that I should get off it, so he gave me Elavil. I really dont know what it is so I looked it up, and Its also a antidepressant. so I just wanted to know If anybody else is on this, does it work like cymbalta, and if its good or bad.
  2. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

I've been on Elavil for 12 years. I started w/ 10mg and gradually moved up to 50mg. It helps my insomnia and pain tremendously. Without it I would have pain from the top of my head to the soles of my feet - literally!! My eyeballs felt like someone is squeezing them; my eardrums felt like knives were stabbing them; my feet felt like they
    were bruised; my gums hurt; my scalp hurt; and there were these horrible lightening sharp pains in my neck, spine, hands, legs; my legs ached all day and all night; the palms of my hands hurt; my face hurt; the inside of my nose hurt - I think you got the picture. Well, when the doc gave me elavil, the pain subsided. From time to time I skip a couple days to see if the pain will come back and so far it's still there but the medicine keeps it under control as long as I listen to my body and watch what I eat
    and drink.

Alot of people don't like elavil because it does cause weight gain. And alot of people got no relief whatsoever from this med. If you can at least get good sleep or pain control from it, that would be good but you have to decide
    for yourself if it's worth gaining weight. My pain was so bad that I had to accept the weight gain; I just could not live with that pain. As time went by my doc added topamax
    and that had caused me to lose some of the weight I'd gained from elavil. These two meds are working well together and I'm grateful for that.

Take care,
  3. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

and have been for at least 5 years. I find it does help with sleep if taken an hour or so before bed, but it does nothing at all for my pain. I wish it did, because I sure need some help in that area.

Yes, your information is correct that it is an older antidepressant. But the doses prescribed for FM/CFS are much lower than those prescribed to treat depression. I've tried doses between 10mg. and 75 mg. I know there are a few here that take higher. If you do go onto Elavil, you will need to find the best dose for you -- and it can take a couple of weeks to get adjusted to it. Too low a level doesn't help at all, while too high a level leaves you feeling groggy and drugged-up the next morning.

I'm another who's gained weight on this medicine. The sugar cravings can be really bad.

I can't tell you if it works like Cymbalta though because I've not yet tried Cymbalta.

Best wishes,
  4. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

I took it for 5 years....25 mg once a day at bedtime. It did help tremendously with the pain and with helping me sleep.

I gained 25 lbs. but quite honestly, I didn't care because I felt the benefits outweighed the weight gain.

However, I started having dental problems after being on it for awhile. It dried out my mouth, therefore, it caused me to have alot of cavities, 12 to be exact.

I continued to take it though, trying to be extra careful with my teeth, drinking water throughout the night, using a dry mouth rinse, etc.

The problems continued though. This last time I went to the dentist they strongly encouraged me to talk to my dr. about prescribing different meds and getting off the elavil.

So within the past month, I have weaned myself off of it. My dr. is now prescribing mobic for the pain along with a medrol dose pak and ambien for sleep.

I really hated to give it up, but I don't want to lose all of my teeth! The new meds are working well for me so I am thankful for that.

I know alot of people of take elavil with no problems. I would still be taking it if it weren't for my dental problems. It really helped with the pain/sleep problems.

Best of luck to you! I hope you find what works best for you.

I haven't tried cymbalta either so I'm not sure about that. I know many here do take it though.

God bless,
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2008]
  5. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Whenever I take the elavil at night the next day my head is just a huge muddled mess and it does nothing for my pain.

I did my own test this past week and stopped taking the Elavil at night and this is the best I've felt in quite a while. It could be a coincidence so I will try it again but I found the Lyrica really has helped me tremendously.