ELAVIL

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dannielle, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Dannielle

Dannielle New Member

hi to everyone and hope you feeling better than i do (LOL).iam trying to find out how good is elavil i was prescribed that and be a little scared to take it i normally react to medication and had very bad experience with some that i get scared to take others.iam supposed to take one at bedtime which i dont undertsand why at bedtime does it help?? and doe sit have bad side effects ?? thanks for any information..and also ill ask here again who is from louisiana besides shirl thanks DANNIELLE
  2. Dannielle

Dannielle New Member

hi to everyone and hope you feeling better than i do (LOL).iam trying to find out how good is elavil i was prescribed that and be a little scared to take it i normally react to medication and had very bad experience with some that i get scared to take others.iam supposed to take one at bedtime which i dont undertsand why at bedtime does it help?? and doe sit have bad side effects ?? thanks for any information..and also ill ask here again who is from louisiana besides shirl thanks DANNIELLE
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Sorry, I'm not from Louisiana (Florida here), but I have taken Elavil. It is the "one size fits all" first medication that most FMS patients are given. What it did for me was make me jittery, cause palpitations and cause me to gain 46 lbs. in two months! I have very strong negative feelings about all anti-depressants, even the newer ones, based on what I've seen in all the yrs. when I ran a support group and a call-in info line. However, I know there are some people who are helped by Elavil, and they will all be along to tell you about it. If you decide to take it, try taking only part of a tablet at first to see how you react, and don't expect positive results until you've been taking it for at least 3 weeks. If it doesn't work by then, it probably won't. Contrary to what some believe, there is no proof that antidepressants increase stage 4 sleep. They only raise the pain threshhold. I wish I had known that back when it was given to me. After that I tried another one called Doxepin and that one made me sleep 14 hrs. one night and not at all the next, and put another 9 lbs. on me in only 12 days! I tried several more after that with bad side-effects and no positive results for any of them. Without the benzodiazepine drugs, I would have been out of luck. I feel that sedative drugs like Xanax and Clonopin work better for most FMS patients, unless they have a primary clinical depression, but docs are afraid to prescribe them because they are controlled substances, so most docs will make you try the antidepressants first, and some of them will refuse to let you try sedatives even if antidepressants don't work. I hope your doctor is not one of those,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2002]
  4. JP

JP New Member

Hello Dannielle,

I have been taking Elavil for about 3 months now. My doc gave it to me for sleep and nerve pain. It has changed my life for both. I take 10mgs about 2 hours before bed. It works better than anything I have ever tried for sleep and my early morning nerve pain has decreased too. Others are recommending that you try it during your weekend. I agree...my doc gave me 25mgs to start and I couldn't stay awake for much of the weekend. The 10mg dose works well for me and I am not aware of any side effects.

Take care,
    Jan
  5. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I had the same thoughts about being prescribed Elavil. It took me two months to start it. It didn't work out for me, but I understand it can be very beneficial. Look up my posts for the advice I received. One is SIDE EFFECTS- Advice?, another is Elavil? I'm not going to take it anymore. Good luck.
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

years ago and I had horrible nightmares, was so lethargic and I got FAT!!!!! 'nuff said about that!
    Love,
    Kady
  7. chedaly

chedaly New Member

I take 25 mgs per night and my doctor and I still argue about this regularly. He believes if that little amount works so well, then more will work better. Simply not the case---at 150 mg I was hallucinating, suicidal, and my blood pressure was insane. I flushed them down the toilet, but that didn't work too well either. I've been 9 months at this dosage and they have been the best nine months I've had since before I got sick.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/06/2002]
  8. clueless

clueless New Member

elavil was the first thing I was given for fibro. and the terrible dry mouth drove me crazy but I took it until it attacked my parotid glands(mumps) the doctor took me off it suddenly and it attcked my liver I was very ill for about three weeks. It is so very important to be weaned slowly off that and other drugs of that kind.Other doctors have mentioned it to me but with the luck I had with it I would not take it again.It may work fine for you everyone is different. I am on klonopin now and it works fine for me. Luck to you and best wishes in the management of this disease.
  9. dlizard

dlizard New Member

but ended up outside one night and in the kitchen pouring flour out onto the floor the next... so much for stage 4 sleep. Not to even begin to mention the "next day" grogginess. I then tried pamelor and didn;t sleep for two nights... I just spoke to my doctor about antidepressants in general and reminded him " I'm not depressed",,, depression IS what these drugs treat. I really don't care what he thinks LOL>>> but they entire clasification doesn't work for me.I've tried them off and on for years without any "good" results. It seems for so many doctors it is the only* thing they will offer you, mine is that way... I likewise do better with the benzo family. I hate to take anything but if I have to that's where I go!!!! Good luck!