Elavil????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tinker-belle, Aug 7, 2003.

1. tinker-belle

tinker-belle New Member

Hi. My rheumy wants me to try taking 5-10mg elavil at night for bad pain in hands (I had 2 carpal tunnerl surgeries but pain still there).
    My question is does that dosage make you gain weight?
    And what's it like? Are you still drowsy in the morning--- can you go about your activitiesand still drive?
    Please get back to me. Thanks so much!!!!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I gained 20 pounds on that dose. It made me drowsy, but it did not improve the quality of my sleep and it did leave me hung over and groggy for most of the next morning.

It has helped others here.

About the only way to tell is to try it.

Love, Mikie
  3. DeMcKen

DeMcKen New Member

I started off at 25mg and am up to 100mg now. It does seem to make it harder to wake up in the morning, but I've had that problem without taking it, too. It also seems to help me fall asleep better which is definitely a benefit. I haven't seen any weight gain, I actually lost six pounds last month. I would try it (give it a few weeks to get into your system) and go from there.

Good luck,

Denise
  4. JP

JP New Member

I have used Elavil for about a year now. It has been an amazing medicine for nerve pain and sleep. I was up to 75 mgs and have dropped to 50mg recently. I try to work my way down on some medications if at all possible. I have nerve pain in my hands but it was really perscribed for the nerve pain in my back. I used to wake up numb from the waist down. The Elavil stopped the morning numbness. I have gained a few pounds (less than 8 pounds over the year) and I am sure it's not from the Elavil.

I hope it helps you.
    Take care,
    Jan
  5. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

We all react diff. is for sure. So many says elavil makes them sleepy. I could run to Calif. from east coast, well if I had the energy.lol,right. Hypes me, Restless leg goe`s wild.....

I used lowest dose and just cannot take it.

Used to give it quite frequently in nursing homes to elevate elderly moods.

At first doc`s just insisted this was the fm cure.