Electric Shocks From Car Doors????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0909, Mar 1, 2005.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Hi
    Anyone else get this??
    I often get electric shocks when I touch the handles on the car and my daughter does as well!!!!
    It is not a BAD shock but enough to let you know that you are ELECTRIC!!!!!! LOL

RENA UK
  2. jef40

jef40 New Member

who was from South Africa, working in US for a while. Every time she touched her car door, it would shock her like you said. It also shocked me the few times I got into it, but my car didn't.

She took it to the mechanic who said that there was a grounding wire that was to go to her antenna and it was missing, so she was getting shocks from that somehow I guess from battery. Not bad shocks, but not static.

I touched the antenna and it could shock you as well. (Of course I ahd to find out for myself!) It wasn't anything like standing in wet grass touching the electric fence, but enough to make you jump back.

So, you may want to have your electrical system checked if it happens throughout the year. Good luck![This Message was Edited on 03/01/2005]
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

from car doors, touching the sides of moving stairs in stores and even from touching other people. I've heard from others with CFS who also have this problem, fly away hair too. It is shocking, ha ha, no sometimes it really hurts. Apparently you should wear clothes without elastane which seems to be in most of the tops I buy. I tried to bump this but bumping seems impossible for me.
  4. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Almost everything metal produces a shock for me. Never would have thought of it as a CFS/FM thing.
  5. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I get electric shocks from car doors too. I usually wear gloves so I don't get the shock. I open and close the door in a funny way and I'm sure people think I'm crazy. I don't care. I don't know of it's associated with fibro, but it's weird.

BxGirl
  6. happygranny

happygranny Member

I think most people get 'static electicity' shocks in the winter when the air is dryer, however, this year, winter is over, the air is moister and I am still getting shocks from any car, my husbands head, and numerous other things.

Why is this?
    More thoughts?

Jeannie
  7. petsrme

petsrme Member

This happens to everyone I think. I saw a program on television a few years ago that said it is very dangerous if this happens at a gas station. When people are pumping gas and get back in their car while it is filling up they build up static from the carpet and seats and then they get out and when they touch the nozzle a spark could happen and cause the gas tank to catch on fire. They said to always touch something else before you touch the nozzle. That way the shock happens before you touch the nozzle.

The report also said that if your gas tank does catch on fire DO NOT pull out the nozzle. Just run away from the car. If you pull out the nozzle the whole car will catch on fire and the fire will run down the hose to you.
    They showed several people who had died or been severly burned from this happening. I promise this is not an urban legend. I saw it on a program like 20/20 or 60 minutes. Can't remember which. If anyone else has seen this maybe you will know. I just wanted to warn people of this danger.
  8. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Winter is over here, too, and in fact it is quite muggy lately. I got shocked on a can of kidney beans at WAlmart the other day? Every dang door or shelf I touched in that store shocked me. It really hurt. I am shocking myself on everything and I don't get it.

Also, yesterday and today I have had a strange electrical zapping feeling--mostly in my face, head and hands. It is disturbing and accompanied by dizziness.

Maybe my body is finally going to short-circuit itself.
    Nicole
  9. petsrme

petsrme Member

Nicole are you by chance going off a medication like Zoloft. My mom said when she quit taking it she suffered electric shocks, jolts all the time. She said it felt so weird. She also said when she would turn her head she would get this dizzy feeling and it almost felt like her head was moving in slow motion. I just wanted to let you know that this could be the cause. I think I have read on here about others having this happen.
  10. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I have always got shocks off sinks.Throughout the yrs. I occassionally wash my hair(or dye my hair)in a sink and I have always got shocks off the sink.ODD?!
    I did blow out my computer hard drive once from touching my mouse.Now I always remember to touch the desk before I touch the mouse.
    Another I have notice,I used to think it was a coincidence but whenver I went to a place that had a computer,the computers would always go 'down' and not work when I stood by them.What a pain,LOL!
    I also get what I call electric shocks in my brain.But I found out that I have brain lesions from having so many migraines over the yrs.
  11. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Wow, and here I thought I was the only one! No one believed me when I'd get shocked from touching my car, didn't matter where. No one else would get shocked so they couldn't see how I was.

I get shocks from everything. It really freaked me out one day when I went to wash my hands and as soon as the water touched me I got a real bad shock. There is nothing I can touch that won't give me a shock, I hadn't known, nor realized that others go through this as well.

I just wish I knew what to do about it!

HUGS,
    Skye
  12. jennirube

jennirube New Member

Hi I always get shocked at walmart when I am there.
    All I have to do is touch the cart and I get shocked and also after walking the touching a shelf. My two year old hates it because he sometimes gets the shock too.
    I have been lucky that my car hasn't been to bad so far. But I do usually have problems with cars.

Jennirube
  13. cw

cw New Member

The shock is coming from static electricity not Fibro caused by getting in and out of the vehicle. Similar if you were to rub a balloon on your hair to make it stick, static! Get a spray bottle and add about a half teaspoon downy fabric softner and lightly spray the headliner, seats, carpet and door panels if they have cloth inserts and leave the windows open to air out. It works for about six months then reapply.
  14. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I posted this as a reply to "Can you stop watches on 4/25/05 but thought those reading this post would be interested to see this:

This is from:
    Devin Starlanyl & Mary Ellen Copeland's book: Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain - A survival Manual 2nd Ed. page 77-78 (question #29).

"Do you have electromagnetic sensitivity? Do you become wired by electrical storms? That is, do you become edgy, tense, unable to sleep? Are you up all night when the moon is full?
    Can you sometimes sense the feelings of others? This is what I call electromagnetic (EM) sensitivity. Some people with FMS may be hypersensitive to EM transimssions, especially when they are in flare.

Some people with FMS have told me that their presence stops watches and computers. They say that phones and VCRs are also affected.

...It seems likely that many people with FMS and CMP may be electromagnetically sensitive due to a combination of enhanced autonomic nervous system activity, central nervous system sensitizations, and souped-up receptors. Remember, FMS amplifies sensations. The skin over TrPs (trigger points) is high in electrical conductance -- it is measurably abnormal."
    --End of Quote-----

And yes, I too get shocks from cars. Particulary those that are more metallic than others. Such as our Jeep has metal doors so it shocks me but our Pontiac does not have metal doors and does not shock me.
  15. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

It happens to me every day I get in and out of my car. It has happened with every car I have driven both with cloth and leather seats. I have gotten in the habit of first touching my car with my elbow instead of my hands. This is the only way I have found to not get a painful little shock.
    Mabey we just have electric personalities!
    A
  16. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Sherrie--you know, that's interesting--the way you describe what your mother feels is just what I feel like, but I'm not coming off any ADs. I was unlucky enough to be without my Cymbalta for two days a few weeks ago or a month ago (I was too sick to go to the pharmacy)--and this feeling is very similar to that feeling--maybe not quite as strong. But, I have been taking it regularly, so I don't know what the deal is this time.

Jennirube--I'm glad I'm not alone in the Walmart thing--last week one day it was so bad that Iw as almost afraid to touch anything because the shocks were starting to get painful.

Nicole
  17. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Our walmart has no carpeting at all.
  18. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I get shocked while pushing the cart. It's not just when I touch it, it will happen while I am hanging onto the handle. It is usually when I am on the grocery side where there is not carpet! This has happened to me several times and I thought it was so weird. I would tell my daughter who was with me and she said it didn't happen to her.

I am wondering if it is when I am around the freezers. There is a section where the freezers are on both sides of me when I usually get shocked.

Jodi
  19. lamchop

lamchop New Member

It is easy to stop the shocks from your car. When you open your door, put your hand on the top of the door or the side sill before you swing your feet to the ground.

I have found different shoes to be culprits when walking around. One pair in particular my workmates even stole to stop me wearing them :)
    Cheers everyone
  20. tansy

tansy New Member

I don't seem to have anymore.

One of the theories behind this sensitivity is sodium levels. Ion channelopathies are present in these DDs; we have an intracellular imbalance in our electrolytes ie sodium - potassium ratios and magnesium – calcium ratios.

A few months ago I started taking half the recommended dose of Recuperat-ion electrolyte salts as used in the Blasi Protocol. Today I was in places and situations where this would normally happen to me, and no “electric shocks”.

Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2005]