Electric Shocks In Head

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0808, Apr 3, 2013.

1. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

Has anyone ever had what feels like an ice pick headache?

Last week I had a sharp pain in the left side back of my head.Took some tabs but woke at 2 in morning with pain moved up and every few minutes.

By morning it was every few seconds and My daughter had to take me to a walk in centre to see doc.The pain was making me almost drop to my knees.

He said it was caused by my fibro!!!!!
    Said it was where the muscle is connected to the skull.He gave my tramadol and Diazapan(KNOCK out pills).

I felt like TED BUNDY!!!!!!!!!!

A week later I am still getting them though not as bad,still very painful.
    Any help ???
    Aweek later
  2. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Wow, Rena, that sounds horrible! No, I've never heard of that kind of head pain. I've gotten very quick ice-pick-type pains in my temples, but they stop after a few seconds.

I hope you can find a reason for the pain. Blaming it on Fibro may very well be true, but still there's got to be a reason why you're having it and other Fibro patients aren't. Ya know?

Have you tried scalp & neck massage?
  3. znewby

znewby Member

Electric shocks can happen anywhere in the body with lyme. Someone i know described them as popcorn. she got this when she started antibiotics and the early die-off. search in google.
  4. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

What health conditions do you have ?
    What medications and supplements are you taking ?
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I have cervical stenosis and bad arthritis (very common as we age) along with the FM, and I'm going thru neck traction for it. I get sudden sharp pains in my head. I believe it's from tight muscles......read up on myofascial pain. The sternocledomastoid muscles can even cause sinus pain, TMJ, and other things in and around the head. I have some 4 x 7 gel filled packs from CVS that I keep in the freezer and I drop one into a knee hi which I have sewn on a velcro at the toe area. This makes it easy to strap it around my head or my neck for pain and still be able to do things around the house. I'm trying not to always pop some pain killers and it's amazing how ice takes away the pain.
  6. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

I know that tricylic medication can ( the older antidepressants) my mother gets it alot shes on dothiepin. And electric zap is how she describes it said its horrid and scarey.

What medication are you on?

7. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

Thanks for replies
    I am on citalapram. Amlopidine and atenalol for high B/P.

I take tramadol,valium and paracetamol when my back goes out as I have 2 slipped discs.
    And I tend to use heat pads or natural things to get through most pain.
    Resting is best for me even though it is not good for us.
    Going to see doc Monday if I can get appointment.Will let you know results

8. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

Just googled electric shock sensations in head and people have reported this side effect with the first two meds you mention. Whether coincident i dont know.

Thanks for replying, and yes do let us know outcome of appointment :)

[This Message was Edited on 04/05/2013]
  9. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I went to docs and they examined me again and said the pains were from the fibro and so I just have to try to manage these symptoms as and when they happen.

Over the years I have had problems with my left eye,left nostril running and sometimes I had to wear sunglasses even in the house because the TV would cause pain.

Since these head pains started I have felt as though my head is in a vice!And it all seemed to over the left side of my head.Also going into the left side of neck.

Glasses/headbands anything on my head has always caused me ssooooo much pain.But this has made it worse.

But at least I know it is not something scary so as with everything to do with fibro.....it is just another horrible pain to learn to live with.

Hope you all escape this one!!!

10. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

Yeah i get pains in my head to. The skull has tendons and ligaments so it doesnt surprise me that its affected to. I wear sunglasses because of light sensitivity but i have to take them off after a while because they hurt my head. I get dry eyes, also muscle spasms in eyelids its my left at the moment. You do usually have one dominant nostril.BR>
    So are you certain that the electric shocks did not occur at onset of taking medication?

I keep a diary and note new symptoms and new meds. I sense your still concerned, because its all on one side. If you continue to be worried is it possible to see another doctor at your practice? Maybe when your doctors on his day off? Or to anyone reading this have you experienced these symptoms and have been told what they are if not medication related?

Thanks for your reply keep in touch

[This Message was Edited on 04/09/2013]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2013]
  11. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Electric shock sensations in the head are more likely associated with the medications you are taking rather than the FM. I'm surprised the doctor didn't pick up on this.

Its worth considering getting a 2nd or 3rd opinion as you clearly have a number of health issues that need considering and treating.
  12. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Nerves are involved in FM, so it is not at all unusual to get electrical sort of pain in your head or any other part of your body our nervous system travels.

Sometimes I get them head to toe when I cough or sneeze. Sometimes I get them for no apparent reason in my neck, head and down my arms.

Once you are checked out by a doctor who is very involved in treating FM patients it at least takes the fear away.

I hope your pain calms down and disappears from your head altogether. Pain in the head sort of short circuits our attention and makes doing even small things a challenge.

Hugs to you,
  13. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I have been on these meds for at least 10 years so I know that is NOT the cause of this latest addition to the fibro I have lol.

Quick info....I am 1 of 8 siblings and I was always THE SICK ONE !!
    I was like a hypochondriac who was always telling the truth !!!

When I was 46 I had op for cyst on ovary and fallopian tube was taken out as well.
    From day one after op...........I had post-op infection.I wanted to die.Pain was horrendous but I thought it was me being a wimp

I lived but what a price I have paid!!!

I was a worker/always had family and friends around/was very sociable/was always up for a laugh...........LOVED LIFE!

Now I am like BILLY NO MATES !!!

Still have family and friends ......but not the energy to be with them!

It is hard when some people do not understand fibro .....I think even my sisters did not get it ....But 2 of them have now been diagnosed with fibro so maybe they will get it now.

I think my Mum had it but it was never known about here in England til 1990 so sad for her because she was dianosed with arthritis only!England is SLOWLY beginng to accept that it a REAL illness!

I actually got all info about fibro from pro-health because we had absolutely NOTHING here in England about it !!!Doctor told me I had it ......then that was it.

Even in the library there was NO books....I had to ask them to order some!
    when I was diagnosed at a pain clinic...Not one person I knew had EVER heard of fibro!

If I tell my life story since my op I will be here for days ...........so I will just say thanks to everyone for trying to help with latest pain outbreak!!!!

I wish you all pain free days
    I am glad I found this board again after sssooooo long!!

Take care