Electric wheelchair or scooter?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Sep 21, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Curious to know if you prefer one or the other. I'm wanting a very small, lightweight one for strictly indoor use. And which brands.

Thanks for your opinions.

LIGHT**************carole
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm trying to figure all of this out at the moment too, Carole. A friend also gave me an old Amigo scooter. It has gotten me out of the house and down the street to the park. I only use it a little bit in the house, though.

On this site, Sues1 and other folks are saying good things about the Zip'r, a three wheel scooter that is affordable. Scooters start at about $600 and can go up to $2000 very quickly. Pride Mobility is another company to check out. Ebay would be another place I would check online. Scooters are great for outdoor use, shopping malls, or for hard surfaces, though mine does work ok on carpet. Their turning ratios tend to be larger than that of electric wheelchairs. They are lightweight and can be taken apart and packed up in a car.

The mobility companies say that for indoor use, a powerchair is much more powerful, especially on carpet. They a tighter turning ratio. For people with severe CFS or Fibro, they are more comfortable than scooters. But they can also be extremely expensive if you're insurance won't cover it. They are also heavy, and you need a lift on a mid-size SUV to take it anywhere. $5000 and up is typical for a Jazzy powerchair. Hoverounds start at about $6000. There are probably companies that sell electric wheelchairs for much cheaper, and used ones are available all over. It looks like my insurance company is going to cover a powerchair for me, so I might end up with both.

Is there a scooter or powerchair dealer in your town? I would go down there and ask for a test ride.

I hope some of this helps.

[This Message was Edited on 09/21/2006]
  3. Cathy4thCB

Cathy4thCB New Member

1. easier to maneuver in small places
    2. gets closer to counter tops
    3. attach baskets front and back and cup holders
    4. take apart and put in trunk
    5. travels better over rough terrain
    6. lights, turn signals, rear view mirrors, horn
    7. psychologically you don't feel like or seen as an 'invalid'
    8. comes with a key so kids and thieves can't mess with it while unattended (and you can get a really cool key chain)
    9. 'scooter' is much more fun to say than 'wheelchair'
  4. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I prefer the scooter.

My dear husband bought my power chair first...he got it on ebay for less than $800. Very expensive new and it still looks like new. I have trouble steering it. I am not born into the video game generation and find the joystick steering foreign.

We went to the state fair and I rented a scooter to get around and I loved it. Easier to steer, more secure feeling.
    Husband found one on Craigs list for much less than new also. I use the scooter outside daily to get the mail etc. and the power chair I keep inside and only use on bad days.

I like having something in front of me with the scooter, the chair I am out in the open for working through a crowd.
    The scooter I feel more secure...something to grip when going over bumps etc.

hope this helps a little.
    best wishes
  5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I too had trouble with the Joystick, keep running into things.
    I had tried out my Sister's, as I thought it would be a good thing to have in the house.

Then I could just use the Scooter for trips, to the Mall, or anywhere where I might have to do a lot of walking.

My First one, was a Victory Pride, it's older and banged up a bit, but it is my favorite. (one of my sis's has it now)

Hubby, bought me one, using flex pay, from a tv station that we use a lot, for shopping.
    It's lightweight, comes apart for traveling in the back of the car/truck. It's a really good Red color, not orangey.

Anyway, I love the Scooters, for another reason, I like having something in front of me, not like with a wheelchair, where your legs are exposed, and also I find that my legs are more comfortable with the Scooter.

Hope you get one, they sure are a Blessing for me.
    sharonk
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

We bought a Pride scooter almost three years ago and I really like it. You can adjust the seat, arm rests and handlebars. We bought it used (although it was really new. A man bought it for his mother, but she died shortly after getting it and never used it). I would recommend buying a used one. It would save you a lot of money. We had to buy a battery ($75.00), but we saved hundreds. Also, you can take it apart and it fits in your car trunk.

We are now looking into a power lift as the day will come when my husband can't lift it anymore and it will also give me the freedom to take the scooter without my hubby coming along.

Ellen
  7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

It really depends on what you plan on doing. I just got a scooter to use so I could go places with my friends and family. I think out in public a scooter is better.

If you are wanting to use it at home or work you might want a chair, especially if you will need it alot. A chair can be used at a desk or table where a scooter can't.

I would talk to a salesperson about your needs. I was ready to by a 3 wheel scooter but was told that because of my vertigo and poor balance I should get a 4 wheel.

Good Luck
    Shar