Electrical shocks in body Need fast answer please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DavidTeer, Mar 12, 2003.

1. DavidTeer

DavidTeer New Member

Gee has been expeirenceing electrical shocks throughout her body latl with tonigt being the worst It goes through her entire body and last a few seconds and then she gets a bad headache. Does anyone experience this? If so I know it is late but I need a response if possible. Thanks Dave
  2. marecee58

marecee58 New Member

Yep, those electrical shocks happen to me too and they last only a few seconds is right - cause as soon as you notice it happening its gone. And they can happen anywhere on your body at any time.

As for the headaches, had them too on a daily basis, right on the forehead and behind the eyes. My Primary Care Provider put me on Elavil 4 wks ago which has releived only the headaches; rest of the symptoms still persist. Ultram helped my headaches ...

Just made an appointment today to see a rhuemetologist but the soonest appointment is next month. Unfortunately it looks like this condition is a try this try that - wait and see approach since the docs don't know enough about it yet. I wish I had more answers for your wife, but I am new to this condition which started about 2 1/2 yrs ago and has gotten to the unbearable stage in just the past few months.

3. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

Mainly in the left arm and only last a second. Somedays nothing and others it does it all day long. Hubby thinks that its something to do with a pinched nerve but I am not so sure. I have not found anything to prevent them.

Best Wishes,
    Jeanna
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I used to get those too. Mine were mainly in my head, make me think I was having mini strokes ( probably a lot older than your wife). I upped my vitamin E, and started taking Pro Energy (malic acid and magnesium glycinate) since then (thats two years ago), I only get them now if I am stressed out, or get really angry. I try to avoid both.

The headaches that followed was horrific.

HOpe this helps.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Echos

Echos New Member

I also get this. It starts mid torso and works it's way up to my head and then it feels like it flows out the top of my head. Luckily, my neurologist was able to tell me what this is. It happens with anxiety brought on by stress or fears. Mine happens to be a lot of both. It can be relieved by an anti-anxiety medication. It is described exactly as that. Electrical impulses caused by anxiety. It only last seconds and can happen several times throughout the day. Mine happens 15-25 times per day, and that's on a good day.
    Echos
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I had that on Sat & Sun, went to ER thinking I was having a heart attack. The doc there was wonderful, he attributed it to my fibro. Everything turned out fine as far as testing my heart.

The doc referred to it is "tingling" while I was calling it an "electrical storm".

I am definitely sorry you all experience this but I am glad I am not alone in this. It helps me so much to come here & hear of others.

Jaci
  7. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I'm sorry Gee is going through this. I have this also and I think it is caused by my cervical spine problems. Look up L'Hermittes Sign. It can also be caused by other things.
    Sometimes mine is more of a vibration and other times it's like electrical. It wakes me up almost every morning. Very irritating. Hope she gets some relief soon.

Take care,
    Sapphire
  8. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

Funny you should say this -

I had one last night! They are so weird - Seem to start in my chest and work its way out of my body

What exactly is going on with these? How do doctors explain these?

Do only people with CFS/FM get them?
  9. annkd

annkd New Member

I have been telling my doctors for years about this internal electric sock feeling (prickly/tingly, too). No one has been ale to address this and when I read this site I jumped for joy! Not that I experience it, but that someone else out there gets it. Recently, I discovered I have a herniated disk on my cervical C-7. Waiting for an MRI. But I was quite clear to my Rheumy that this other symptom came years before the disk issue. I really want some answers!!
  10. bluebirder

bluebirder New Member

My old Dr used to tell me it is "just muscle spasm or sleeping wrong" but he was before the Fibro diagnosis. Had him for years and years. Now I have a lady Dr. She seems great so far.

I take in a quick breath when it happens then try and take a couple good long slow breathes to relax my muscles and hold still a moment and then go on (or roll back over to sleep)

11. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I don`t buy that anxiety thing from the doc. Mine started after carvical injury,increased after miningitis. Doc looked at me if I was crazy so never brought it up again. I believe our neurotransmitters are actually miss firing that is why they think now we have a type of seizure disorder. I would get it on the tennis court,oh for those days, or when I would start to fall asleep. It can be alittle scary just try not to get more upset. Neurontin did calm mine down. Take care....<<Hugsss>>
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2003]
  12. 2girls

2girls New Member

I do not beleive this is caused by panic or anxiety. I get this sensation fairly often and I am not prone to panic attacks. I had anxiety last year due to the unpredictable symptoms associated with FM. I guess I have learned to accept that strange symptoms will occur and I still get this electric shock sensation from time to time (mostly from the chest upward).
    2girls
  13. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

they were related to FMS and headaches and put Gary on Topamax 125 mgs 2 x's pd. He doesen't get them very ofton any more. It works great on nerve pain also my friend has never had such relief. Good luck and hope you all with this finf relief soon. Kim and Gary
  14. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Posted about this same topic yesterday.
    It's better today, but felt terrible last evening.
    Took my muscle relaxant and anti-depressant and went to
    bed.
  15. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

I go thru periods of time where I get them on the right side of my head right above my ear, scared the daylights out of me. At those times I also get them running from the top of my hips down my legs. I haven't mentioned them to my doc, why bother. I can just imagine what they write in thier private files!!!!!!!!
    Love, Deb
  16. stickley4u

stickley4u New Member

I know it is strange to say that someone is lucky that has fibro, but Gee is having the support and understanding from you, Dave. I saw there was another couple in the reply (sorry don't remember name==fibro fog?). Hats off to those that support, sympathize, understand and care.
  17. djd

djd New Member

I thought I was having a heart attack. It was so bad and lasted so long that my muscles were sore the next day. Mine was mostly in my chest, solar plexus. 1teaspoon of ginger in a hot bath may help but relaxation exercise helped me at the time. Hope it get better.
  18. mellow

mellow New Member

Is there some medication she is taking that could be causing these shocks? Worth looking into meds. Mellow
  19. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

sorry to hear things aren't going so well at the moment...i completely understand being "shocked" by this (hahaha)...but seriously, the other day this dd sent me home from work for the first time ever with this exact same symptom...i couldn't walk or do anything using my wrists or hands, and since i mix paint for a living i was useless...it lasted about 24 hours and went away...i think i may have finally just overdone it a little and had a little flare...so, hopefully it will clear up for Gee just as quickly...wishing you both the best, camelgirl
  20. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I get them too. Sounds like a lot of us do. I get mine mostly in my arms and legs along with bad headaches. I'm new at dealing with this too, so I can't offer much advice other than....she's not alone. Hope she feels better soon.
    Dave