Elevated Liver Enzymes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Monk, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Monk

Monk New Member

When I was diagnosed with CFS I was told that I have high liver enzymes.

What I can't figure out is did I have this before CFS or did CFS cause this or is this causing CFS. My doctor practically insisted that I was an alcoholic and said there was nothing that could be done to make this go away.

Anyone in a similar situation?
  2. Valres

Valres New Member

There is varying degress to elevated enzymes.Just how high are yours?

The liver is the most forgiving organ of the body,it can restore itself as mentioned in the last post.Many medications can increase your levels, some dangerously high,that's why I ask how high it really is.

Another culprit is muscle relaxers,some worse than others.So please don't panic if your taking them till you know where your levels are.Most Drs don't worry if there slightly elevated.

One of the biggest mistakes people make if they drink is NOT EATING!

Your doc is a jerk to brush you off/judge you like that,I wonder if it's time to fire him?

Sincerely,Val.
  3. Bratnut

Bratnut New Member

Hi,

I can't tell you about the liver enzymes or about whether you drink, but I can speak to the doctor. I'd seriously consider his/her position in your life. Again, I don't know if you drink and it certainly isn't my business. My comments are about the doctor. I am an alcoholic in remission for a long time now. I thank my Irish heritage combined with a touch of Native American and enough major life altering depressing occurences for that. However, when my blood work came back screwy, my doctor reached out his hand and helped pull me up and back to sobriety before it became extremely noticable in my life. No accusations, no feeling small, just caring. That's what you deserve from a doctor, not feeling accused of something that doesn't exist. The doctor is there to help and serve you with compassion. I often think we and they forget that and if they do, they should get out of the business!

Patricia
  4. Rumpsonfire

Rumpsonfire New Member

I personally had elevated liver function before I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. However, this was because I had Mono and got Hepetitis from the Epstine Barr Virus. My liver functions are normal right now, but we think that the Mono caused my Fibro. So...If your situation is similar to mine, you may have had a virus that increased your liver functions AND caused your CFS.
    I know this can be so confusing but I doubt it has anything to do with drinking. It could however have something to do with medications. Sounds to me like you need to find a new Doctor who is familiar with CFS and knows the complications that may come along with it, or cause it.

Amanda's Rumpsonfire
  5. evileva

evileva New Member

When my doctor told me that I had cfs/fibro, he also told me that my liver enzymes were a little high. He sure never accused me of being an alcoholic though. I think maybe it's time to find a new doctor.
    Good luck, Eva
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

CFS and Fibro---are disorders of exclusion, usually yielding fairly normal test results. Many of us here have other illnesses in addition which tend to reflect in abnormal test results relating to those conditions.

All the things above, plus some (even herb use) can alter your liver enzymes.

There is no positive known cause, at the time for CFS and Fibro---many interesting theories, though.

I think---unless this physician is making great advances, and your CFS is responding well to his treatment, I would look elsewhere, as mentioned above. We need advocates and support, not mindless accusations, leading to more debilitating stress in our lives.

Best Wishes,
    Karen

PS--hello tactful Sandy :) lol, always to the heart of the issue...are you feeling better? new med helping?

[This Message was Edited on 12/20/2002]
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have high liver enzymes ( particularly alkaline phosphotase); don't drink; just went through an abdominal ultrasound, and all organs (liver, kidneys, gall bladder) look just fine. Don't use meds for FM, never have used tylenol or aleve except in rare instances in small quantity. I just found out I have higher than normal mercury levels (will be doing chelation after the holidays) but not way off the charts, just above normal. Something seems to be irritating my liver, but my doc also went over the supplements I take with me, & didn't find any offending herbs, even. So what's causing this, and why do so many of us with FM and CFS seem to have elevated liver enzymes?? My doc's just keeping an eye on it (I'll have more blood tests in two months to monitor it) but it's a little scary to me & makes me afraid to even take an occasional dose of advil, when I have a killer headache, for example, or one benedryl on a night where I really can't sleep, or have a rare glass of champagne at a wedding----these are things I never do on any regular basis, but the liver enzymes being high make me afraid to damage it further by even doing any of these things once in a blue moon-----kind of makes you paranoid! And I hate feeling this way, but since we can't seem to nail down the cause............at least my doctor is showing concern but not being accusatory, hope you find a caring doctor who can help you with this!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. tomf

tomf New Member

I had elevated liver enzymes for almost 2 years after my CFS onset. They are now within normal range. I didn't drink at all nor was I overweight (fatty liver) to cause the elevated levels.

Diet and supplements could help but your doctor wouldn't know this since he/she has zero training/knowledge in this area.
  9. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

Hi..
    Yes.. kinda the same, but I have FM and I stay tired all the time and other times I cant sleep. My doc says its from depression but I dunno. However I had a endoscopy done to make sure there wasnt any disease over the elevated liver enyzmes. My doctor is not sure whats causing it. My tests all came back normal. My liver was a tad inflammed but thats it he said it was nothing to even worry about. I am not being treated either. I hope everything is ok and hope that you stay well.

Regards,

Misty
  10. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Hi Monk,
    I've had CFS since 1989 and had slightly elevated liver enzymes ever since. However, last January they were almost 500 and they were the same in July. They did a biopsy and it showed something autoimmune. They couldn't figure out what it was.
    Just 2 days ago I found out I am diabetic. That may be the culprit for me now. Not what I wanted to hear but it could be alot worse.
    I've always heard that alot people with CFS do have high levels.
    I don't drink and never used many meds either.
    I took milk thistle for a few months after mine were so high and now they are just slightly elevated.

Sapphire
  11. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

I dont know if mine are elavated or not. But, have been ill since before Thanksgiving. I've lost 16 lbs. Of course, I needed to lose them along with another 16 lbs. Will put me back at 120 lbs at 5'2".

Had ct scan of the abdomen and pelvis with contrast on 12/13. Obtained copy of report yesterday. I have a 5 mm pulmonary nodule in the left lung and a calcified granuloma with calicifed per esophageal lymph nodes present in lung. A 2.8 X 1.5 cm lesion of the left lobe of the liver adjacent to the calciform ligament. No clue what that means as doctor is on vacation.

Scheduled for an EGG and Colonoscopy on the 27th. Went Christmas shopping for the first time Yesterday. My dear sweet hubby was kind enough to finish the shopping for me today.

Gentleness
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think it just goes with the territory. I don't take much in the way of pain meds anymore, but I do take Klonopin and Doxycycline. I don't know whether or not these are the culprits.

My doc gets all excited and runs the tests again and by then, the tests are normal. For me, it's just part of the ups and downs of these illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  13. kadywill

kadywill New Member

cirrhosis is simply "scarring of the liver" and I have this. I had a liver biopsy a few months ago to determine why my liver enzymes were so high. We never found out, but my lipids were VERY high, too, so I was started on a med to reduce my cholesterol and triglycerides. (even though these statin drugs can affect the liver enzymes, too, it was VERY important to reduce my lipids) After one month, my chol and trig were normal for the first time in my life AND my liver enzymes were normal, too!!! So, it probably won't help the existing scar tissue, but it should prevent more from occurring!!!
    Luck to you!!
    Kady
  14. granmama

granmama New Member

For 7 years, my GYN's office would call back with lab results from my yearly exam. Only to tell me every year that one liver enzyme (GGT) was elevated. And every year the nurse would ask...Do you drink a lot? Have you ever had Hepatitis?
    You would think after 7 years my doctor would tell me something could be wrong with my liver!
    I took matters into my own hands and got with a doctor that took more extensive tests, only to find out I might have an iron overload disease. This would cause elevated liver enzymes and high iron (ferritin) count.
    I had a liver biopsy and was given the diagnosis of Hemochromatosis.
    Ask your doctor about your iron status, it could save your life.
    Iron overload can cause liver disease and cancer.
    The iron stores in your tissues, organs and especially the liver.
    Meds can mess with the liver enzymes too as many have pointed out. They don't know why I have an elevated alkaline phosphate, all my tests have shown normal.
    CFS and FM are common in patients with Hemochromatosis.

Just food for thought, good luck!
    granmama