Elevated titers?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by insomniac1, May 5, 2003.

1. insomniac1

insomniac1 New Member

Hi i am just curious in Nov 2002 i was dx with cf i am getting progressivly worse so in April my doc did a connective tissue diseas panel and told me that my titers (what ever that is) are 1-40 she said it has something to do with lupus but i have no other signs and i do have the classic fm ones so she diagnosed me with fm. i was just wondering if any one else on here had the same kind of tests and if they have any info to share with me i just joind this site and i am doing some research but i am very confused with all of this. thanks and stay strong my prayers are with us all kris
  2. bakron

bakron New Member

It sounds like your physician was "ruling out" Lupus. A titer below 1:40 is within normal. This is good news for you at this point.

A single test cannot determine whether a person has lupus. There are several tests performed in conjunction with a complete physical exam that help a doctor make a diagnosis. Some of these tests are:

Antinuclear antibody (ANA) - Proteins in blood that react against the cell nucleus; present in almost all of those with SLE.

1. Antinuclear Antibodies (ANA) below 7.5
    2. Antinuclear Antibodies Titer below 1:40

[Titer: measurement of the amount or concentration of a substance in a solution.]

Anti-DNA - Antibodies to DNA; present in approximately half of SLE patients.

Anti-RNP - Antibody to ribnucleoprotein; present in SLE and other disorders.

Anti-Sm - Anti-Smith antibody; unique to lupus.

Anti-SSA - The Ro antibody; present in various disorders.

Anti-SSB - The La antibody; usually seen with anti-SSA.

Biopsy of the kidney or skin tissue.

Complement levels - Tests for a group of proteins that cause inflammation.

Complete blood count (CBC) - Measurement of the amount of red cells, white cells and platelets.

Sedimentation rate - Test monitoring the precipitation of red cells in blood.

Syphilis test (VDRL) - Often administered because lupus patients may falsely test positive for this disease.

Urinalysis is abnormal with protein, casts, and red blood cells present in the urine.

Hopefully, this helps you.

[This Message was Edited on 05/05/2003]
  3. billiegail

billiegail New Member

I don't have a clue, but would like to know so I am giving you a bump.
  4. polliwog

polliwog New Member

I had several of the criteria to meet a diagonisis of Lupus including an abnormal anti-nucular test. It has been a long time ago now, so I can't remember all the details, but they said that I had a "spotted pattern" in the nucelus of my cells---whatever that means. I also had several miscarrages, and other symptoms of Lupus, but they finally ruled it out because I had never had the charteristic rash of Lupus. Polli
  5. insomniac1

insomniac1 New Member

just wanted to say thank you for the info im going to use it and take it with me to the doc unfortunatly i wont be back to her for 6 weeks she wants me to do therapy first then back for more blood work
    kris