Elisa re: Babesiosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by richvank, Jul 12, 2008.

1. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Elisa.

I've been thinking about you and praying for you a lot over the past few days. It's not lost on me how kind and supportive you continue to be to others while you are facing such a horrendous struggle yourself, and I would really like to see you recover.

I noticed that Lisa suggested a short time ago that Babesiosis might be a candidate for what you are suffering from. I just want to say that I think she is right.

You have had a fever of unknown origin for over a year. These are very difficult for the doctors to diagnose, as you well know.

But when you developed shortness of breath and tachycardia a while back, that narrowed the possibilities down, and one of the remaining ones is Babesiosis.

As you may know, Babesiosis is caused by a protozoan that invades the red blood cells. So it's an infection, and that aspect is probably what causes the fever, as the immune system detects the protozoa.

But these guys can impact your body's ability to deliver oxygen to the cells, and I think that's where the shortness of breath and the fast heart rate come in.

So I don't know if you've been able to get tested for Babesia, but if not, I hope you will pursue testing for it with a doctor near you who is familiar with it. Here is a site that gives referrals to Lyme disease doctors, and they should be knowledgeable about testing for Babesia as well:

www dot lymediseaseassociation dot org

I hope for the best for you.

[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2008]
  2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

4. empty2void

empty2void Member

Hope for Elisa. Thanks, Rich.
  5. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Rich!

Rich, you are so thoughtful - and your kind words brought me to tears. I truly think your words are some of the kindest I have ever read. Hope is so powerful and the giver so blessed.

Years ago, over 15, I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. The doctor tested me for RA and Lyme and both came back positive and he decided it was Lyme. I had the classic bite and rash and walked with crutches for months - it was aweful I was so sick. Everyone wondered where I got it. Although I grew up with a backyard full of white-tailed deer and prior to the diagnosis had done two thing that may have exposed me (1) I attended an horse show and toured the stables (CT horses) and (2) took my dog to the metroparks (which had an huge problem deer overpopulation.)

Anyway, they gave me two weeks of antibiotics - the standard protocol years ago and off I went. A year later I remember that doctor calling me at my office (when I worked long hrs) and asking me if I was having any residual pain issues. I remember thinking that was odd. Little was know about Lyme back them.

I guess as the years passed I thought it was a misdiagnosis. I had the Igenex test (on my own) last year and it was "indeterminate" or the gray area on many bands. I had no doctor who could interpret it. Complicating my situation I have been on azithromycin daily for over 2 yrs - for my breathing problems (diagnosis - mycoplasma pneumonia).

So I am going to pursue the tests for babesia - your wisdom and keen anyalsis along with Lisa's earlier suggestion - really resonates with me. I do have the symptoms and it is important to rule it in or out!

I will have to ask everyone here for a referral to a Lyme doctor near me or maybe I can get this test through Igenex. Would that be okay - maybe I will call them tommorrow (Monday) and see if they offer this test.

Funny, I noticed quinine is part of the treatment for this illness - I used to drink that as a young girl for leg cramps...

Rich, I have been so sad lately, mainly because I have been so sick and so frustrated - so your message and support means so so very much to me.

Thank you for your prayers too - I pray so hard with hope that there will be a breakthough for all of us.

God Bless You Rich - with all my heart!

[This Message was Edited on 07/13/2008]
  6. Elisa

Elisa Member

7. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Elisa.

You are certainly welcome.

I hope you will be able to get tested for Babesiosis soon. I'm sorry that I don't know of an LLMD doctor near you, but maybe someone else on the board does.