ELLIESPAD OR anyone LTRYPTOPHAN have a question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, May 23, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Elliespad, you mentioned in your post about DLPA that you don't like Doctor's Best brand of L-Tryptophan, I'd like to know why.

I used to get it on RX from a compounding pharmacy, but recently bought Doctor's Best brand... doesn't seem like it as much of an effect as what I used to get. Is this what you found?

Anyone else have an opinion about brands?

Thanks, just wondering!

Victoria

2. tonakay

tonakay New Member

back up.....
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

hi Victoria, I have used all the brands I recommended, plus had compounding RX for about 6 months. The Doctors Best brand, did little/nothing for my sleep and actually made my brain feel aggitated, restless. To call it CRAP, sums it up nicely.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

that would explain a lot, every 5-6 nights I cannot hardly sleep no matter what, short of taking valium.

Thanks, I will be ordering one of the other brands!

Victoria
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I tried finding the old post you are referring to and couldn't find it.

What brands of L-tryptophan ARE good ones? Do you have to order it online? I looked for it at my local health food store and didn't see any on the shelves.

I've been using 5-HTP for the past week and not seeing much difference in sleep.
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

Any Compounding Pharmacy will have a reliable source. BIOS is a Veterinary line, that I used for years, is excellent. They make Lidtke, their human line, but lately, some Lidtke websites make you present a Rx, even though they are not a pharmacy. CRAIG is very good. And I have been using NOKOMIS NUTRITION'S own brand for the past year or more. Nokomis nutrition has a very good price lately.

Be sure to take with vitamin B-6 (I use P5P) an activated form of B-6, as I cannot convert B-6 to the active form. It will also make sure that Tryptophan converts to Seratonin in the brain, and not the gut. Take away from other protein sources, as the other amino acids will compete for update in the brain. A bit of carbohydrate may enhance the uptake of the Tryptophan. You can generally take 500 mg per 50 lbs. of body weight. But I take 1500 mg EVERY NIGHT and the math says I should take WAY more. But that is what MY DOCTOR wanted me to take.

Hope you do as well with it as I do. You really should run this by your Dr.and even mainstream Docs are familiar with its' safety and effectiveness. Even my vet lets me give it to my dogs after surgery, no ease their anxiety from anesthesia.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

"I use and recommend BIOS, LIDTKE, CRAIG, NOKOMIS, or by prescription from a Compounding pharmacy."

I'm just taking a look online at prices, so far this is what I've found -- Elliespad, if you get any of these elsewhere at better prices, can you please comment? Thanks!

By the way, L-tryptophan is not available thru ProHealth,
    only 5 HTP is, and there are some arguments for L-tryptophan over 5-HTP...

BIOS from Bios Chemicals
    120 caps $69.95
    60 caps $39.95
    60 chewables $29.95
    + shipping $ 2.95

NOKOMIS from Nokomis Nutrition
    100 caps $39.95
    X 3 99.95
    X 6 189.95
    + shipping (6.95 for 3 bottles)

LIDTKE - Their website said you have to call for prices & shipping, seemed like one might need to be a doctor? - not sure, I haven't called, but it did seem like they would sell to anyone - also said Bios brand was for vet use altho another site said it was for humans ... at any rate, they seem to be the same product. ELLLIESPAD - were you able to order directly from them? or where?

CRAIG: from American Nutrition
    120 caps $59.95
    60 caps 39.95
    + shipping 4.95
    Supervits offers a case (12 bottles) for $464.28 = $38.68/bottle + free shipping

----------------
    Some further info about L-Trypophan from a few sources - from websites selling it and the Townsend Letter (alternative med journal for doctors and patients):
    ---------------------

Outstanding Benefits of L-Tryptophan

# Relieves occasional sleeplessness
    # Soothes nervous irritability
    # Relieves muscle pain from exercise
    # Reduces premenstrual symptoms
    # Supports a good mood
    # Helps relieve the craving for carbohydrates.

What Physicians Know about L-Tryptophan

Because L-Tryptophan is the least abundant amino acid in our diet, it should be no surprise that L-Tryptophan supplements have been widely used to correct deficiencies for more than a quarter of a century by doctors in the United States and Europe.

Psychiatrists, medical doctors, and nutritionists, alike, have long recognized the importance of pure L-Tryptophan for maintaining good health, relieving poor mood and irritability, reducing the craving for carbohydrates and normalizing sleep.

New Evidence of Cell-to-Cell Communication

Recent research has shown that the communication between cells of your body is far more intricate and important than ever imagined. Everything from your mood to your appetite is based on the free-flow of information between these cells.

Serotonin is one of the most abundant cell-to-cell communicators, called neurotransmitters, in your body, and only L-Tryptophan is the essential amino acid that makes serotonin.

Since serotonin is one of the most abundant neurotransmitters, and L-Tryptophan is the least abundant amino acid, supplementation is often required to maintain optimal health.

How Do Physicians Recommend Taking L-Tryptophan?

For occasional sleeplessness, many respected physicians have their patients take two 500 mg capsules an hour before bedtime – sometimes adding an extra capsule right at bedtime for those who have trouble staying asleep. L-Tryptophan can also help those who fall asleep readily, but occasionally wake-up too early. A capsule or two by the bedside, that can be easily taken, has been a real life-saver for those nights when you're stirred awake at three A.M.

To support a good mood, L-Tryptophan can be taken at any time of the day, but it's most commonly taken in the evening. After all, a good night's sleep is often the crucial first step towards chasing away depression.

For a great mood, to relieve premenstrual symptoms and to break the cycle of muscle pain from exercise, knowledgeable physicians suggest starting with two capsules, then increasing the dose to one capsule for every 50 pounds of body weight.

Getting the Most From L-Tryptophan

Many patients get a great night's sleep or “knock-out” the blues with L-Tryptophan without giving diet a second thought. For those of you who want to fine tune these benefits, a little juice or carbohydrate snack helps push L-Tryptophan into the brain where it can do the most good.

Another trick is for the patient to avoid proteins within an hour of taking L-Tryptophan capsules. because proteins compete with L-Tryptophan for absorption, more L-Tryptophan will pass the blood-brain-barrier if patients avoid eating proteins at the same time.
    =====
    From Townsend Letter about L-Tryptophan in 2003:
    ======
    "...states Dr. Ber.... “This (1,000 mg) is the evening amount I take myself. . . patients sometimes combine L-Tryptophan in a kind of synergistic ‘cocktail’ with melatonin, magnesium, or some other sleep-inducing nutrient.”

Insomnia Studies Using L-Tryptophan
    A series of published clinical journal articles beginning in 1974 pointed out that the extent of sleep latency (length of time to fall asleep) could be significantly reduced by taking as little as 1000 mg of L-Tryptophan per day.

------------
    This last paragraph really applies to me as even before my crash 10 years ago, it normally took me 45 minutes-1 hour to fall asleep... now it is almost impossible! -Victoria
    ===============

L-Tryptophan and 5-HTP - How to decide which is right for you.
    ===============
    Some people are helped by 5-HTP, others are not. There are several reasons for these differences that can help in deciding which is right for you.

1. The body remains in control with L-Tryptophan, but does not with 5HTP. The creation of neurotransmitter serotonin begins with L-Tryptophan which converts to 5HTP, which converts to serotonin.

The rate-limiting step (the step the body uses to regulate serotonin production) is between L-Tryptophan and 5HTP. If you take 5HTP your body looses control of the serotonin pathway.

2. 5HTP converts to serotonin outside the brain. Since the conversion of 5HTP to serotonin is not regulated some of the 5HTP converts to serotonin in the gut, causing upset and nausea. Since serotonin does not cross the blood-brain barrier, serotonin produced outside the brain is not available to the brain.

In Europe, 5HTP is combined with carbidopa, a pharmaceutical drug that reduces conversion of 5HTP to serotonin outside the brain. This is rarely done in the U.S.

3. Disease impairs 5HTP transport across the blood-brain barrier. In people with certain diseases, including severe depression, there is blockage of the transmission of 5HTP across the blood-brain barrier.

In these patients supplementation with L-Tryptophan, which does cross the blood-brain barrier, can provide increased brain serotonin levels.

4. Unlike 5HTP L-Tryptophan has many other uses in the body. It can be converted to niacin. It is a required precursor to the kynurenines, a family of biochemicals that help regulate the immune system. As an essential amino acid, L-Tryptophan is required for your body to work properly.

Even though L-Tryptophan and 5HTP are metabolized to serotonin along the same biochemical pathway, individual differences in metabolism can cause significant differences in effectiveness.

============

OK so this may be more than you ever wanted to know, LOL, but it is interesting... supposedly there are also other protocols for other health conditions besides weight control, insomnia, and depression.

Victoria

8. PamelaJoy

PamelaJoy New Member

Yes the Trytophan from Bios products works exceptionally well.
    Sleep is deep and wake up feeling well rested!!
    500 mg per 50lbs of body weight is recommended.
    I dont know what I would do without it. My spirits are very lifted too! Yes for Seratonin elevation!!
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

LOL!

you posted while I was typing out and copying the above...

Victoria
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thank you both so much for all the good info on both tryptophan and 5-HTP. Excellent info!

I'll be printing this out to digest! Thank you!!!!
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

You are very welcome.
  12. PamelaJoy

PamelaJoy New Member

Bios products for the L-tryptophan are very pure and work exceptionally well.
    Magnesium in the malate form helps with restless leg syndrome and relaxing the muscles! Take Calcium also!
    good luck!
    Pamela
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

everyone!

Victoria